• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all prefer leather. Issue is that most reputable leather bags cost 3~5 filson bags. So in a way buying a Filson is a whole lot like settling,
I quite like my Filson bag, and one of the things I like about it is that I don't really mind if it gets some crud on it. I take it on day hikes, which I sure wouldn't do with a leather bag.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any current FWRD codes for sale use?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all prefer leather. Issue is that most reputable leather bags cost 3~5 filson bags. So in a way buying a Filson is a whole lot like settling,
But Leather bags can go on sale at the end of the season, whereas Filson bags don't go on sale very often, and when they do, its only 50% off. I just picked up a Tods holdall on Mr. P, for ~360. Sure, its not a Brigg holdall, but I'd rather have that than a Filson. Same deal for briefcases, I think I saw a Globe trotter attache for 500 on Mr. P.

I guess I understand the desire to not give a crap if it gets dirty. That makes sense, I suppose.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my Filson 257 for $160. But I guess I never buy full retail for anything really.

I guess I can't wrap my head around paying more than 100 for a non leather bag, at which point I start to view it as an investment piece and begin to value quality far more.

Only on Styleforum would buying a Filson Bag be considered "settling" lol

Too true haha.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to also consider the formality of your workplace and how you dress. Walking in with jeans, boots and a leather jacket and SAB/Globe Trotter attache is just going to look pretentious, or at best that you're dressed by the internet and have no idea what you're doing.

For more casual places, a Filson 256 is much more appropriate, and better than the polyester stuff many people seem to fancy. Better also than the Herchel stuff I see spammed everywhere too.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads