• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
probably my biggest issue with the series so far is hearing all the names spoken out loud. for some reason it really makes me cringe. in the first episode when they talk about 'asshai beyond the shadow land' i was like eckkk

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? (re: Asshai by by the Shadow)

To be fair, there was some good stuff in AFFC:
The Iron Islands subplot, The Eyrie (I finally can stand Sansa now), the Braavos subplot. Also Kettleback indicting Cersei was fun

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
i dunno. it's like someone talking about star wars or LOTR. its just.. nerdy in an embarrassing way.
brienne killed that book for me. also i don't give a **** about the iron islands - it's just boring. sansa/arya are ok, but they're nowhere near as interesting as jon/dany. i have a feeling this upcoming book is gonna be a clusterfuck - I dunno, maybe i've aged out of this series, but when i reread it in anticipation of the new release a few months ago it just seemed.. trite and poorly plotted? i still enjoy jon, but i also enjoyed rand in that other series ..

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
probably my biggest issue with the series so far is hearing all the names spoken out loud. for some reason it really makes me cringe. in the first episode when they talk about 'asshai beyond the shadow land' i was like eckkk

Their casting of Jon blows too. He seems fairly dumb (like 70 IQ sort of dumb) in the show...

Dany is ******* boring to read.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
also reading goerge rr martin's 1997-esque website makes me like the series less
ffffuuuu.gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
You might be surprised. Rarely is anything clear cut in A Song of Ice and Fire...

This is pretty much the appeal. The end of Book 1 blew my mind (no spoilers), everything about it was just...wrong, by usual "hack n slash fantasy" rules. Authors just don't do stuff like that

It hardly slows down from there either. Terrible stuff happens to the good guys, the bad guys flourish, then fall. Shallow villains become unexpectedly complex, heroes become far more grey.

It's far from "great literature," but some of the best fantasy writing out there. Breaking the rules lets him go places nobody else goes.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dunno. it's like someone talking about star wars or LOTR. its just.. nerdy in an embarrassing way.

brienne killed that book for me. also i don't give a **** about the iron islands - it's just boring. sansa/arya are ok, but they're nowhere near as interesting as jon/dany. i have a feeling this upcoming book is gonna be a clusterfuck - I dunno, maybe i've aged out of this series, but when i reread it in anticipation of the new release a few months ago it just seemed.. trite and poorly plotted? i still enjoy jon, but i also enjoyed rand in that other series ..

You ever read the Sword of Truth books? It's like all he knows how to write is stereotypes. None of the characters have any depth, or surprises. The villains are comically evil, the heroes resolute and dauntless, the loves passionate beyond anything known but! horribly conflicted at the same time! Also his description of combat basically boiled down to "RAHHHHHHHHHHHHH" repeated over and over.

I gave up after about seven of them (friend was a big fan and pushed me that far), maybe it evolved since then.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needs more wolf.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matik23
I'm pretty sure the Queen and her twin brother lover are the clear cut bad guys. The prince is a waste of skin too.
Wait till season three. Your mind will be blown, or go read the books if you cant wait.

fwiw jon is the best character in the series and bran is the worst.
Jon is definitely good, but Bran is by no means the worse. If your talking strictly POV characters Brienne and Samwell are the worst.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matik23
Tyrion Lanister aka the new Gaius Baltar wooooo

NO

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the nerds have come to roost, bringing their fan-fiction and their wikipedia spoilers with them, I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in this thread anymore for fear of ruining the rest of the series for myself. I advise all other normals to do the same.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Since the nerds have come to roost, bringing their fan-fiction and their wikipedia spoilers with them, I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in this thread anymore for fear of ruining the rest of the series for myself. I advise all other normals to do the same.

You could not possibly imagine the magnitude of the **** I do not give.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads