Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Office dress code=suit but no one wears their jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by soupcxan, Apr 14, 2009.

1. soupcxan

soupcxan Senior member

I'll be starting a new job shortly at a conservative office where suit & tie everyday is expected. I don't think a sport coat or blazer with slacks, even if it was well put together, would cut it. However, I've noticed that they only wear their suit jackets from the parking lot to their offices, then hang them behind the door. We don't meet with clients (nor do we go out to eat) so there's no need to have a coat available. At the end of the day, they put their coat on and walk back to the parking lot.

I don't mind wearing a suit, but it seems like a waste for me to spend +$500/each for several suits when 95% of the time I'm only wearing the jacket for a few minutes a day. Eventually the pants wear out and you're left with a useless jacket. Meanwhile, I can get nice slacks for ~$100. Has anyone else had to deal with a similar situation? Any tips on how to look good (and not attract negative attention) without breaking the bank? I wouldn't mind paying for suits if we were actually going to wear them...

2. binge

binge Senior member

Wear the jacket.

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

wear it

4. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

I'll be starting a new job shortly at a conservative office where suit & tie everyday is expected. I don't think a sport coat or blazer with slacks, even if it was well put together, would cut it. However, I've noticed that they only wear their suit jackets from the parking lot to their offices, then hang them behind the door. We don't meet with clients (nor do we go out to eat) so there's no need to have a coat available. At the end of the day, they put their coat on and walk back to the parking lot.

I don't mind wearing a suit, but it seems like a waste for me to spend +$500/each for several suits when 95% of the time I'm only wearing the jacket for a few minutes a day. Eventually the pants wear out and you're left with a useless jacket. Meanwhile, I can get nice slacks for ~$100. Has anyone else had to deal with a similar situation? Any tips on how to look good (and not attract negative attention) without breaking the bank? I wouldn't mind paying for suits if we were actually going to wear them...

thrift store

5. ysc

ysc Senior member

Get suits where the jacket would look ok as an odd jacket when the trousers wear out?

Probably just going to have to put up with the problem.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Tell them that their dress policy is bullshit and that it needs to change. Then patiently explain to them what you have just explained to us. Offer to review other policies and make changes as needed. If anyone pushes back, stare at him for about 5 seconds and say "Not on my watch." They appreciate spunk in a new employee.

7. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Rock the boat. Everyone appreciates that.

Oh, and Youngscientist..... amazing profile pic. One of the best Ive seen haha

8. factorial

factorial Senior member

Get MTM suits and order an extra pair of trousers?

Seriously, though, you can't really complain about this if you went into the job knowing a suit was required. You're probably being paid well enough to afford it.

9. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

Buy a bunch of dress pants and maybe two suits. You will probably know in advance of when there is an important meeting and can wear your suit that day. I agree with you, buying all those suits would be a waste of money.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

If you really don't have to wear your suit jacket in the office, how much can it hurt to wear an odd jacket when you're in the parking lot? Does someone get to the office early in the morning to look out the window and make sure everyone is propertly attired before entering the building?

Anyway, if you want to wear your suit jacket around the office, just try it. I doubt anyone will think poorly of you for it.

11. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

It's just work. I personally don't waste any of my nice clothes on work. There's so much more important events out there.

12. soupcxan

soupcxan Senior member

Tell them that their dress policy is bullshit and that it needs to change. Then patiently explain to them what you have just explained to us. Offer to review other policies and make changes as needed. If anyone pushes back, stare at him for about 5 seconds and say "Not on my watch." They appreciate spunk in a new employee.
    Heh, don't you think the unemployment rate is high enough as it is?

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Don't walk around the office in shirtsleeves, regardless of what others do. If you really want to take your coat off, wear a waistcoat.

Otherwise, wear mid-grey flannels with a blue SB blazer with black horn buttons and black shoes. It's really quite close to a suit, so I suppose they won't be bothered. Many of them won't even notice!

14. 3orangewhips

3orangewhips Well-Known Member

Did they expressly forbid odd jackets, or was it a "you must wear a suit" kind of deal. Maybe wear suits the first few days and then slip in a navy blazer with grey pants and see if anyone cares.

EDIT: Didn't see radicaldog's post!

15. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

Don't walk around the office in shirtsleeves, regardless of what others do. If you really want to take your coat off, wear a waistcoat.

Otherwise, wear mid-grey flannels with a blue SB blazer with black horn buttons and black shoes. It's really quite close to a suit, so I suppose they won't be bothered. Many of them won't even notice!

is this a joke?