• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Office dress code=suit but no one wears their jacket?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An old Sartorialist pic to illustrate the validity of the gray trousers - blue blazer combo:

http://www.noveporte.it/taccuino/tau...p3?idfoto=4420

In continental Europe it is considered only slightly less formal than a business suit. The jacket would normally be darker, though.

The advantage is that when you're in shirtsleeves nobody can tell that you didn't come in in a grey flannel or fresco suit.

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
An old Sartorialist pic to illustrate the validity of the gray trousers - blue blazer combo:

http://www.noveporte.it/taccuino/tau...p3?idfoto=4420

In continental Europe it is considered only slightly less formal than a business suit. The jacket would normally be darker, though.

The advantage is that when you're in shirtsleeves nobody can tell that you didn't come in in a grey flannel or fresco suit.

I like the photo, but it confuses me on whether it belongs in the office.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
I like the photo, but it confuses me on whether it belongs in the office.

In English speaking countries not very much. But I suppose standards will eventually homogenise.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Most people think an odd jacket and trou are a suit.

No they don't. I doubt he is talking about going to work with a bunch of slack jawed yokels with GED's.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lightsaber
God, I hate office fashion, it's hideous. Shirt + tie + no vest + no jacket = Hell.

I know dude, cant even wear ben wa balls anymore.

Originally Posted by Mr. Caber
Every office I've worked in has been like this. I blame women entering into the workplace and asking that the temperature be raised high enough not to see their breath.

Ya, this pisses me off too. Need a stack of napkins to wipe my forehead and the hen next to me is whining that her arm are cold.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just go with separates under those circumstances. Get two suit coats and three pairs of pants with each, and that outfit should last you a good long while. The suit coats don't have to be very good, since no-one will see you wearing them for any length of time--they'll just be hanging up. An outfit like Lands End could probably fix you up for the cost of one halfway decent suit.

macedon

Reaction score
I live in Sydney and have pretty much the same dress code. In summer (when its bloody hot) I would just wear the trousers and shirt & tie. For winter, get yourself a nicely fitted coat and wear that instead of a jacket. A coat would cost $500 and you would get a lot of wear out of it + its easy to match with any pair of trousers/shirt combo and still look smart. You stated that no one wears the jacket inside the office so whats the point of buying/wearing a suite???

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dealt with this in the begining of the job I am at now, a lot of guys were more casual then what was called for and I stuck out like a sore thumb to them but to my bosses I stood out in a good way and it didn't take me long to climb that corperate ladder. Now I am in charge and am a stickler when it comes to the dress code, especially since it is mine. I have even been know to send people home for being in violation. Yes I did get far in my career by standing out, I didn't have many friends at work and still don't to this day unless you count ass kissers but I had a family to feed and did whatever I found necessary to be able to provide form them. You have to ask yourself what is more important to you fetting in or showing off.

macedon

Reaction score
Now I am in charge and am a stickler when it comes to the dress code, especially since it is mine.
What a load of ****! I would love to hear you tell me off about what I am wearing even though i am doing my job at 100%. It will give me a great excuse to escalate any dramas and make you look like a fool...

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey man, just wear the jacket. It's as simple as that. Forget everyone else in the office.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
And this approach and mindset will benefit your career how?????

Precisely the kind of pansy I was referring to...

HKTenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I'll be starting a new job shortly at a conservative office where suit & tie everyday is expected. I don't think a sport coat or blazer with slacks, even if it was well put together, would cut it.

If it is a conservative office, and they expect a suit, why would you try to get away with anything else? It's just asking for trouble. Even if no one would necessarily notice on any particular day, and even if you are not accustomed to see clients or go out for meetings, there will inevitably come that day when there is a special event or a distinguished visitor, and you will be revealed.

If you haven't even started yet but already know that the office is conservative and a suit is required, then it must be either because you've been explicitly informed, or because the suit-wearing culture is so strong that it's evident on first impression. If the first, if and when you are found doing otherwise you will be ignoring instructions, which is seldom a career-enhancer, and if the second it is likely that your soon-to-be colleagues will know something is off about your dress, even if they can't tell exactly what. Although it might be unfair and irrational for people to judge your work performance based on your dress, it is a fact that they frequently do.

You are right that a blazer or odd jacket is not the same, and likely won't be viewed as an acceptable substitute. You're also right that in this case a jacket is a bit of a waste, but work can be irritating like that.

I would second the advice to wear your jackets around the office more if you like them, and also to buy suit separates (like Brooks') where you can get multiple pairs of matching trousers for each suit coat. Given that you don't seem jazzed about spending the money on suits, I would assume that bespoke is out of the question, but if not I'd get extra trou there as well.

Lastly, congratulations on the new job. May the office dress code be your greatest worry
smile.gif

Luddite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macedon
What a load of ****! I would love to hear you tell me off about what I am wearing even though i am doing my job at 100%. It will give me a great excuse to escalate any dramas and make you look like a fool...

I think you will find in life that most employers are irrational and unreasonable, and, mostly, if you fight them, they will win.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics