• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

noiscape

Reaction score
So all this talk of leathers got me thinking about other British boot makers. Crockett and Jones scotch grain leathers for example. Or is it blasphemy to even mention them in this forum? :) Mostly, I'm curious to know what sets them apart in their own unique way. Also, I do have a vested interest because they have a Chelsea boot that I quite like. :p That aside, it seems like generally British shoe makers have a decent reputation for products with longevity.

C&J are really nice. Had a couple of Oxford that were really great shoes but unfortunately it seems that I’m always in between size in C&J... 10 being too small and 10.5 too big (even with insole). Of course it depends of the last! Perfect fit in 348 but too elongated on my feet, otherwise perfect fit.
I tried the Coniston as I really like them but 10 is just a bit too short and 10.5 too roomy even with thick socks... the only ones I’ll buy one of these days are the Islay (10 is not that bad with medium socks... not the best fit but still ok, that’s why I haven’t get them for now).
Trickers is really better fitting for my feet. 10 in 4444 and 10.5 in 4497s (great fit for those!). That’s why I really like Trickers, great quality, great look and good fitting. IMHO C&J is a bit overrated... same quality as Trickers but a bit more expensive. The C&J Handgrade collection is really nice but too expensive... quality is there but patina on the internet pictures is great but not the same when you try them in shops... You can’t find a decent shop with Trickers here in Belgium but there.s à C&J dedicated shop in Brussels, so tried a lot of them and had a couple of Handgrade ones. Nice but liked my Oxford Church’s Consul on last 173 a lot more (and great fit for my feet).
If you have the feet for C&J it’s really worth to get some as they are really nice (and will get the Islay this year for sure)

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J are really nice. Had a couple of Oxford that were really great shoes but unfortunately it seems that I’m always in between size in C&J... 10 being too small and 10.5 too big (even with insole). Of course it depends of the last! Perfect fit in 348 but too elongated on my feet, otherwise perfect fit.
I tried the Coniston as I really like them but 10 is just a bit too short and 10.5 too roomy even with thick socks... the only ones I’ll buy one of these days are the Islay (10 is not that bad with medium socks... not the best fit but still ok, that’s why I haven’t get them for now).
Trickers is really better fitting for my feet. 10 in 4444 and 10.5 in 4497s (great fit for those!). That’s why I really like Trickers, great quality, great look and good fitting. IMHO C&J is a bit overrated... same quality as Trickers but a bit more expensive. The C&J Handgrade collection is really nice but too expensive... quality is there but patina on the internet pictures is great but not the same when you try them in shops... You can’t find a decent shop with Trickers here in Belgium but there.s à C&J dedicated shop in Brussels, so tried a lot of them and had a couple of Handgrade ones. Nice but liked my Oxford Church’s Consul on last 173 a lot more (and great fit for my feet).
If you have the feet for C&J it’s really worth to get some as they are really nice (and will get the Islay this year for sure)

Wow lots of info there. ;-) I really do like the Stows and actually bought my first pair just going by the last description on the Trickers website and, touch wood, no complaints. They fit super well, and I was in love with my first wear. God help me, but they're probably not my last pair either. :p

For the C&J I found a pair of Chelseas that I really liked the look of and the last description for the 335 seems to mirror the way Tricker's describes the Stow fit. I was wondering whether to plump for them and see if I get lucky again. I really like the combination of the grained leather and the heavier commando sole. Perfect for our winters here in Scandinavia.

Out of curiosity, because you mention sizing, but what do you wear in the Stow and what is your supposed foot size in UK measurements?

noiscape

Reaction score
Wow lots of info there. ;-) I really do like the Stows and actually bought my first pair just going by the last description on the Trickers website and, touch wood, no complaints. They fit super well, and I was in love with my first wear. God help me, but they're probably not my last pair either. :p

For the C&J I found a pair of Chelseas that I really liked the look of and the last description for the 335 seems to mirror the way Tricker's describes the Stow fit. I was wondering whether to plump for them and see if I get lucky again. I really like the combination of the grained leather and the heavier commando sole. Perfect for our winters here in Scandinavia.

Out of curiosity, because you mention sizing, but what do you wear in the Stow and what is your supposed foot size in UK measurements?

10.5 in Stow: great fit (bought them 3 years ago and wear them a lot, fit was great from the first day). I’m wearing most of my dress shoes/boots in 10.5 (10 for Cheaney in 125 Las and 10 in Trickers 4444 last) I would say 44.5 in Euro sizing

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I find that C&J 325/335 fit similar to 4497. The 335 toe is a big roomier vertically but otherwise the same. I take the same size in C&J lasts as Tricker's (except for 4444).

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that C&J 325/335 fit similar to 4497. The 335 toe is a big roomier vertically but otherwise the same. I take the same size in C&J lasts as Tricker's (except for 4444).
Yeah I found a pair of their Chelsea boots for nearly 150 pounds less list so am very tempted. Gonna sleep on it.

Or maybe not, and to hell with waiting and order the bloody thing now. :p

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also Zippy what do you feel about the length or the look of the last? A bit more elongated at the toe than the Trickers or they pretty much the same rounded shape? I guess C&J seem to have a much wider array of lasts that they use so depends on what number one chooses. Hmmm....

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tricker's Stephen on 4497 vs C&J Chelsea 5 on 335.
Let me clarify my comment about the 335 toe being roomier, I meant in comparison to the 325.

mv82Qee2SQGOAO6b3d0dig.jpg
3PA4JKLGT_ijEeHSkjMM6Q.jpg

Attachments

• mv82Qee2SQGOAO6b3d0dig.jpg
    mv82Qee2SQGOAO6b3d0dig.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 30

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's Stephen on 4497 vs C&J Chelsea 5 on 335.
Let me clarify my comment about the 335 toe being roomier, I meant in comparison to the 325.

View attachment 1469871 View attachment 1469872
You a good, good man. Seems like they pretty much match each other for length, with the C&J last looking a little narrower. I think I will go ahead and plump for it because I like the idea of how that scotch grain will look in time. Thank you for all the help. ;-)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You a good, good man. Seems like they pretty much match each other for length, with the C&J last looking a little narrower. I think I will go ahead and plump for it because I like the idea of how that scotch grain will look in time. Thank you for all the help. ;-)

Be careful if you're buying on ebay from a US seller. A lot of those are from Barney's (RIP) and are marked with US sizes. It's a bit unclear about the UK/US size translation.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads