• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

izzyfBOC

Reaction score
if anyone is interested i'm selling a Barbour International Motorcycle Trail Jacket in a XL; fits great, but i need a 2X to layer how i want.

Last edited:

dcinitial

Reaction score
If anyone's looking for a Bedale SL in Sage in a Large, with the quilted liner and hood included please message me. I got this last spring but am looking for another alternative. Will let go for reasonable price.

lula2401

Reaction score
Hi--- I got the sylkoil from Australia and to me the difference is that the waxed cotton can harden over time and it shows in the natural creases. Me no likey. The sylkoil is softer and holds up better over time. I'm having it reproofed and a repair on a torn pocket. But to me, the sylkoil keeps its appearance longer.

South Shields

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm interested in vintage 60s-80s Barbours in size 38. If the condition is rough I'm not worried as restoring them is a part time hobby.

Cheers

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with sapper jacket?

Want to grab one but unsure of sizing normally a 38 (suits/jackets etc) but last outwear jacket I ordered in that size I was swimming in it.

Any thoughts appreciated

mljs54

Reaction score
Quick question - I am a C42 in a Beaufort I purchased a while ago (I believe 2009). I have some JCrew gift cards and was looking at the Ashby jackets, but am unsure of the sizing given these run S - XL. If the sleeves of the C42 fit me well, should I go for a L or XL in the Ashby? I don't mind if the waist & chest is a bit boxy, as I tend to wear my Barbour open. Thanks.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Check the measurements at a retailer like End. According to them a 42 Beaufort is 25" pit to pit and an XL Ashby is 24". Their measurements can sometimes be suspect but that sounds right to me. I bought a Beaufort in my suit size of 44 and it was too big. Ended up with an XL Ashby and it fits fine for layering

Last edited:

OGstyled

Reaction score
Anyone interested in an Olive Ashby jacket size XS? I'm thinking of letting it go. Wore it mostly on a trip to Europe in 2014 and has been in my closet ever since. Pit-to-pit measurement is about 20inches. Probably ideal for anyone with a 36 or 37 suit size. I can include the care instructions and a Barbour pin that came with it.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting a Barbour for a long time and may finally break down and grab one. But, so many models to look at! Are some of the waxed cotton jackets made of a heavier material, or are they all basically the same 6oz? And the hooded Bedale, with the poly/cotton material, is it lighter than the waxed version? So many choices, it gets overwhelming trying to figure out the differences in them all...

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And another question, are all the liners interchangeable? Or do certain jackets only accept certain liners?

rnpatrick

Reaction score

I've been wanting a Barbour for a long time and may finally break down and grab one. But, so many models to look at! Are some of the waxed cotton jackets made of a heavier material, or are they all basically the same 6oz? And the hooded Bedale, with the poly/cotton material, is it lighter than the waxed version? So many choices, it gets overwhelming trying to figure out the differences in them all...

The Barbour web site will tell you the fabric - I don't follow the newer styles that closely but the heritage styles I gravitate toward are all 6 oz. Some are thronproof and the 'classic' models are Sylkoil.

To help narrow down the choices, is it important to have a Barbour that is made in England? If so, you will be limited to the Bedale/Beaufort/Border models as many of the newer styles are made elsewhere.

If you can at all get to a stocking dealer - Orvis seems to be good in the US - I would highly recommend going and trying various styles on as the fit can vary greatly between styles, especially now that they have introduced the slim fitting. That hooded Bedale you are looking at will fit entirely different than the other Bedales. Some people size up, others claim sizing down works for them. Plus the colors on the waxed models are really close when freshly waxed and hard to visualize the differences between them over the internet.

And another question, are all the liners interchangeable? Or do certain jackets only accept certain liners?

Good question - Barbour seems to have gone to mainly a zip-in liner which I believe is now standard across all their coats but if you get the quilted liner you will want it to match the lining of your coat. Note that not all accept a liner. FWIW I would not even bother with the quilted liner - I have one and cannot tell that it adds anything. The pile type liner is supposedly warmer but I have not tried one. Note the liners used to snap in so if you buy one off the internet, make sure it matches your jacket as I believe they still make a snap in pile liner for some reason.

Hope this helps!

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Barbour web site will tell you the fabric - I don't follow the newer styles that closely but the heritage styles I gravitate toward are all 6 oz. Some are thronproof and the 'classic' models are Sylkoil.

To help narrow down the choices, is it important to have a Barbour that is made in England? If so, you will be limited to the Bedale/Beaufort/Border models as many of the newer styles are made elsewhere.

If you can at all get to a stocking dealer - Orvis seems to be good in the US - I would highly recommend going and trying various styles on as the fit can vary greatly between styles, especially now that they have introduced the slim fitting. That hooded Bedale you are looking at will fit entirely different than the other Bedales. Some people size up, others claim sizing down works for them. Plus the colors on the waxed models are really close when freshly waxed and hard to visualize the differences between them over the internet.

Good question - Barbour seems to have gone to mainly a zip-in liner which I believe is now standard across all their coats but if you get the quilted liner you will want it to match the lining of your coat. Note that not all accept a liner. FWIW I would not even bother with the quilted liner - I have one and cannot tell that it adds anything. The pile type liner is supposedly warmer but I have not tried one. Note the liners used to snap in so if you buy one off the internet, make sure it matches your jacket as I believe they still make a snap in pile liner for some reason.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. So many different fits and styles it's hard to figure it all out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics