• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Justaguy72

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Barbour Gold Standard Supa-hunting waxed jacket? Looking for thoughts on it and fit advice. Thanks. Tim

bzh689

Reaction score
Dear Barbour experts and connossieurs, maybe you'll find my question silly but i really struggle to undestand the purpose and possbile way to use a Westmorland vest. How and when to wear it - i simply can't imagine.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Barbour experts and connossieurs, maybe you'll find my question silly but i really struggle to undestand the purpose and possbile way to use a Westmorland vest. How and when to wear it - i simply can't imagine.
Whenever you want

bzh689

Reaction score
Thank you, Purplelabel=) But i'm serious... I can't understand possible ways to use some kind of Bedale without sleeves: if it's too hot but rainy - then one can use a jacket from Lightweight or Waterproof and Breathables collections, if it's not cold but dry and windy - guess it's better to use a quilted jacket. Moreover Westmorland can't be used as a layer becuase it will soil the outer layer with wax and odour. So in my humble opinion the only possible means to use this vest is hunting because of big pockets and freedom of motion. Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. It seems to be the least useful item in the entire Barbour line, but then again, clothing isn't always about utility. Anyone could wear it if they like it enough, but it's not for me. That's ok, everything doesn't have to be for everyone.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. It seems to be the least useful item in the entire Barbour line, but then again, clothing isn't always about utility. Anyone could wear it if they like it enough, but it's not for me. That's ok, everything doesn't have to be for everyone.
I wear mine in mild weather over a jumper or shirt. It’s more aesthetic than anything else.

PantherPatrol

Reaction score
First Barbour find, $10 at an estate sale. Nice fit, keeper I think.

Anything I should know?

IMG_9979.jpeg

builder

Reaction score
Thank you, Purplelabel=) But i'm serious... I can't understand possible ways to use some kind of Bedale without sleeves: if it's too hot but rainy - then one can use a jacket from Lightweight or Waterproof and Breathables collections, if it's not cold but dry and windy - guess it's better to use a quilted jacket. Moreover Westmorland can't be used as a layer becuase it will soil the outer layer with wax and odour. So in my humble opinion the only possible means to use this vest is hunting because of big pockets and freedom of motion. Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

i wear mine while gardening or doing yard work when its not too hot, pockets are great for trimmers, gloves, etc and the waxed cotton is harder wear than a synthetic material so i'm not worried about it getting torn up from snags on branches, thorns, etc.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tseg

Reaction score
I really want to say I’m impressed with the quality and heft of the Barbour waxed jacket. Based on various reviews I was expecting more of a lightweight shell, but it is definitely more substantial than that. As they say, pictures do not do it justice. 24 hours after opening the Beaufort package I’ve already placed an order for a like-new 42 Classic Bedale. I believe the arm length is 1.1” shorter than the 46 Beaufort I acquired so I’m expecting a jacket that will not need altered. But it sounds like sleeve length can vary jacket to jacket of the same size? Is that correct?

Last edited:

Tseg

Reaction score
Fit Check:
42 like-new with tags Classic Bedale just acquired. I'm 5'11, 32 in. shirt sleeves (short arms), 44.5" chest. What do you think? I love it. I am wearing a medium weight 1/4 zipper pull-over on top of a polo shirt underneath. There is room for a thick layer, but not multiple thick layers... but then again, I can't see me wearing multiple thick layers. I tried a blazer but the bottom pokes out the front. I like this size because I can also just wear a shirt and the jacket fits and feels comfortable, not oversized at all.

Now the rest of the story. I have not bought a blazer in a few years but the last I bought was a 46. I also have a vintage Filson Mackinaw jacket in a 46 that fits perfectly. However, I have lost around 20 pounds since my peak right before COVID hit. I originally bought a 46 Beaufort. thinking I was still a 46. It was large fitting, but worse, the sleeves ended at about my middle thumb knuckle. This is when I measured my chest and realized I'm a smaller person than I was. The like-new Bedale only came in a 42, else I may have ordered a 44. But I think the 42 is perfect. I'll be putting the 46 Beaufort on the auction site because I decided altering the arm length still leaves me a truly oversized coat. I'm concerned a 44 Beaufort sleeve would also be too long. Maybe I consider a Beaufort in a 42 as well?

One other observation... the Beaufort feels a bit more damp from the wax than the Bedale. The Bedale really feels pretty dry. I think I'll wax it when Spring is done.
Bedale 10.jpg
Bedale 11.jpg
Bedale 12.jpg

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear a 42 Beaufort, wear a 42 Bedale.

Tseg

Reaction score
Question: is there any difference with a Classic Beaufort A830 vs. a modern Classic Beaufort? Also, anyone know the history of the seemingly short-lived cursive spelled Barbour logo used in jacket labels at some point?
Beaufort.PNG

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: is there any difference with a Classic Beaufort A830 vs. a modern Classic Beaufort? Also, anyone know the history of the seemingly short-lived cursive spelled Barbour logo used in jacket labels at some point?
View attachment 1773047

No, nothing just label.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads