• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
You know if you actually read the invoice that FedEx sent you it breaks down what is FedEx fees versus duty.
FedEx Trade Network handles the customs clearance for you. That's separate from the shipping of the item.
My last shipment from End lists $6.50 in fees and $33.71 duty. That $33.71 is sent to the US government. FedEx charges you the $6.50 to do it.
If I were to return the jacket to End, there are some forms I could fill out in the hopes of getting the $33.71 back.

I'm not sure why the fees were only $6.50 for this shipment. Usually I've been charged another $25 or so.
Interesting, so how would I go about getting these forms to fill out? And would the forms work for shipping there and back? Sorry for my misunderstanding. I rarely order things internationally so I have no experience with this.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is the kind of question where the answer is always "hell no" and you should feel stupid for asking it.

I didn't realize you needed to be a genius to purchase a Barbour.  Thanks for clarifying that.

Sorry, I was a bit harsh.
But it's all about using common sense on the interwebz.
Just the URL alone shouts raises a red flag.
Go look at the contact info and it's a gmail address.
http://www.barbour.com/counterfeit-education

jhwendland

Reaction score
FedEx's costs of shipping, domestically and internationally, are exorbitant. Using the USPS and Royal Mail would take 75% off that price.

jhwendland

Reaction score
You could try out their customer service, but I doubt it. I'm guessing they have some special partnership with FedEx so that shipping costs virtually nothing for them (and a lot for the consumer). I cringe every time I ship through FedEx because it's usually two or three times as expensive as the post office.

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
You could try out their customer service, but I doubt it. I'm guessing they have some special partnership with FedEx so that shipping costs virtually nothing for them (and a lot for the consumer). I cringe every time I ship through FedEx because it's usually two or three times as expensive as the post office.

Yeah that's what I figured. I may just suck it up because the pull isn't that bad and the rest of the jacket fits very well. Unless you or anyone else wants to be a medium Commander. PM me if interested.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking a long shot here but I have a like new green zip-in liner for Beaufort/Bedale in XL and I'd like to trade for a L. I got it as a gift last year but it's a hair too big for my 44 Beaufort

GTI388

Reaction score
picked up a Tokito Skyfall jacket from Sporting Life in Toronto 2 months ago. Surprised they had a L and XL available, jacket was on sale from $900 CDN to $650 CDN. I went with the large, even though I probably would have fit the medium. I'm only 5'7.5 and weight 165lbs, fit. Like most have said, the sleeves are long, but the shoulder and chest area fits well. Sporting life marked the jacket down to $500 and I went back for a price adjustment. Not bad for the original bond jacket. Couple notes, the jacket quality is nice, too bad its made in Bulgaria instead of England. I also hardly ever have the hood on, and find the wind flap can be annoying. The commander B jacket would probably be a better choice for me, but the I got such a good deal on the Tokito I could not resist. Oh, I also have a Bedale, and I wear it in 38. thanks!

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Barbour Bristol? Its supposed to be just a slimmer version of the Beaufort. I need longer sleeves than normal, and am looking for a Beaufort, so I am thinking of just getting the bristol, but sizing up one. (L to XL, as im a 40" chest, and the XL comes with around a 48" chest, which is in line with the barbour beaufort in a 40). Any have any experience with any of this?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with the Barbour Bristol? Its supposed to be just a slimmer version of the Beaufort. I need longer sleeves than normal, and am looking for a Beaufort, so I am thinking of just getting the bristol, but sizing up one. (L to XL, as im a 40" chest, and the XL comes with around a 48" chest, which is in line with the barbour beaufort in a 40). Any have any experience with any of this?

If your chest measures 40", the XL is going to be gigantic on you. For that matter the L is probably going to be too big too.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
If your chest measures 40", the XL is going to be gigantic on you. For that matter the L is probably going to be too big too.

I've been trying to get a feel for how these would fit. I have 2 jackets of thinner material, kind of like track jackets, with 48" chests, and they fit me very slim (the excess just folds under my arms really). But for a slim suit jacket, I would take about a 42" chest jacket. I find the stiffness of the material plays a big role. I just ordered a Standen in a L, so im going to see how that fits, and pass some more judgement after that.

Im having trouble thinking about buying a new beaufort in a 38, then spending $100+ to send it to barbour and back to have the sleeves lengthened.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah if your arms are long, sleeve length will be an issue. Don't they make the Beaufort in long lengths? I've got a Beaufort in my suit size and it's too big. I could wear a suit and an overcoat and then put the Beaufort on over it. The actual sleeve length of the jacket however is correct.

You really need to just measure yourself with a tape measure, measure some of your existing garments and look for measurements of garments online. Don't forget that if you get something too big in the chest, it's going to drape down and make the sleeve seem longer.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I've measured lots of stuff, and I think this standen is going to work. For slim fits, 42 inch chest on garments works, 44 if I want a sweater. I'm tall, 6'4, but I have long arms even for my height, I wear a 38.5 sleeve in shirts. Im ok with having a slouchier fit, thats kind of what im going for, But in order to get the correct sleeve length, it would need to order a size 52 in the beaufort (based on countryattire.com measurements), which would be just big enough to make a 3 person tent with. They don't come in long/tall sizes, as far as im aware. Im alright with the sleeves being an inch or two short, thats part of the barbour appeal, I think, but I don't want them 5 inches too short. So I think I will inevitably have to get them lengthened.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads