• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd shoe fit, opinions please

MikeO

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of RLPL Peerings in my typical shoe size and width from the B&S forum. Very nice workmanship and the fit is not catastrophic, but I thought I would pick the brains of some of the shoe experts here.

If I had to describe the fit, I'd say they are too lose in the heel and too tight in the "front." I.e. my heel rises when I take a step, but the toe box feels very snug. I guess I just don't understand what's going on, in that if I were to move up half a size to get more room in the toe, the heel would be impossibly loose. Did I just pick the wrong shoes for my feet?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What other name brand shoes do you have?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are too big.

when your shoes are too big your foot slides forward. you think they are pinching your toes because there is not enough room but they are not, they are just too big and your foot is in the wrong place in the shoe.

MikeO

Reaction score
alliswell - Allen Edmonds for example, I was talked into purchasing a size 8.5 in the Delrday model and it was tight enough to absolutely destroy my feet. After having them stretched (allegedly half a size, although I'm certain it is hard to quantify) they don't fit great, but I'm not in pain wearing them. The Peerings in the current example are 8.5 as well (I heard they ran a bit big so I went with that size).

pebblegrain - That's a very interesting opinion. I hadn't thought of that, but it does make perfect sense. The odd thing is, the exterior length of the shoes is substantially less than the above referenced Delray. I know the exterior dimensions of a shoe are not an absolute indicator of the fit, but I'd say the difference is substantial. Is there anything I can do at this point other than ditch the shoes?

glenjay

Reaction score
I had a pair of shoes fit like that once. The physical length of the shoe seemed proper, and was labeled in my size, but they were tight in the ball and loose in the heel.

I removed the slightly padded insoles that came in the shoes and replaced them with a flat piece of leather. That allowed my heel to sit lower in the heel cup and added a little room in the ball area. The fit improved enough for me to keep the shoes.

agoelesina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeO
I recently bought a pair of RLPL Peerings in my typical shoe size and width from the B&S forum. Very nice workmanship and the fit is not catastrophic, but I thought I would pick the brains of some of the shoe experts here.

If I had to describe the fit, I'd say they are too lose in the heel and too tight in the "front." I.e. my heel rises when I take a step, but the toe box feels very snug. I guess I just don't understand what's going on, in that if I were to move up half a size to get more room in the toe, the heel would be impossibly loose. Did I just pick the wrong shoes for my feet?

MikeO,
when shoemakers buy standard lasts those lasts they choose have a predetermined fit for what they think is the average foot, the standard is supposed to do most people's feet.

Unfortunately it sounds like your instep and heel measurements are too big allowing your foot to slide forward. Because with a "closed" shoe, like a derby for example, the length doesn't matter so much, if you have extra in front for example. Many shoes today are styled longer in fact than the actual size.

But with the proper instep size for your feet it works. Also the stiffness of the soles have a small part in exacerbating this, not to mention the rest of the standard measurements.

It may help to narrow the instep/heel room by some device, it depends on how much room extra there is. Also the insole cover made with the grain layer side down so the flesh layer slows the foot from sliding a bit.

hope this helps,
Salvatore
PS. the heel measurement is the girth around ankle and heel (measured diagonally)

Kurt N

Reaction score
Maybe a pad under the tongue? That would tighten the arch fit and push the foot back against the heel, while relieving pressure on the toes.

agoelesina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
Maybe a pad under the tongue? That would tighten the arch fit and push the foot back against the heel, while relieving pressure on the toes.

if the heel measurement is also wrong for the wearer (i.e. too large) it won't help much to just add to the instep, the heel measurement alone moves the foot forward or backward, the instep (arch) is responsible for the height of the foot/arch, but obviously if too high it will make the foot move forward as well.
Perhaps padding there will help, hard to know without seeing the foot movement in the shoe, it's a matter of trying different things out to see what will work out best. But let's say that any device in the end just makes things more workable they're not resolutive for a shoe not made for that foot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads