• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oakland police shoots unarmed man - caught on tape

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymovement
stereotype?

obviously youre right about rioting. i don't agree w/ it but these people are upset. how do you suggest getting the attention of the higher ups...writing a letter?

Blacks were effective in getting the attention of the higher ups through peaceful protests.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heard546
Have you ever been treated in a manner similar to what's in video? I have, and I was 17 at the time with a broken foot. I was riding with a friend follow our high school bus from a track. We were stopped because were DWB, and the experience there after remains with me til this day 21 yrs later. The car was stripped, my cruches were taken from me and slung across a freeway. We did nothing wrong to be stopped, and did everything we were told. Still, we were treated very similar to video, but left by side of the road.

I have cousin that's a detective in the Dallas Police Dept. that told me early on about what to do when stopped. And yet, my experience is being played out again several years later.

I'm sorry that happened to you. What did your cousin told you to do when stopped, do you have some guidelines?

Keon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Wow. A whole group of people threatening the cops so much that the police officers had to set up a perimeter just to defend their fellow cops breaking up a fight and/or making an arrest. More threatening, more yelling.... the cops were clearly in need of defending themselves. Were they threatened? Clearly.

I got that feeling too. A large group seemed to be readying an attack on the police. Not very smart. Possibly drug-fueled. I'm not sure why the officer had to resign so quickly.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keon
I got that feeling too. A large group seemed to be readying an attack on the police. Not very smart. Possibly drug-fueled. I'm not sure why the officer had to resign so quickly.

Hmmmm........guilt??

Tardek

Reaction score
My rule for police. STFU, do what you're told. Do not give them any reason to see you as a threat of any kind.
Definitely. The police here are pretty decent most of the time, but until my rights are actually violated by them I will keep my admittedly giant mouth shut.

Number 1 rule: don't mess around with the guy who has a gun.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Wow. A whole group of people threatening the cops so much that the police officers had to set up a perimeter just to defend their fellow cops breaking up a fight and/or making an arrest. More threatening, more yelling.... the cops were clearly in need of defending themselves. Were they threatened? Clearly.

If the cop felt that threatened with a kid on the ground, face down, already in handcuffs then that kid NEVER had a chance.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
Number 1 rule: don't mess around with the guy who has a gun.

I'd say yes but to a point. I mean, cops are supposed to protect people and live to a higher standard but they themselves are fallible human beings just like everyone else.

They have a responsibility to handle things as they come but in this case specifically I think that the action taken was without reason. They had him cuffed for god's sake. Very few people can slip their cuffs for one and two he was on his face.

After watching the video of it, it's pretty clear the shooting officer was kneeling on his back/legs and stood up to take the shot, with time enough for everyone else around to flinch/jump back when they saw the gun.

I will say though that resisting will get you into nothing but trouble. It'll never help. Unfortunately alcohol rarely helps your judgment.

Tardek

Reaction score
I think the shooting was probably an accidental discharge. He would have been pumped with adrenaline, and it doesn't take much of a twitch to pull the trigger.

At the end of the day, you just can't provoke someone into pointing a gun at you - and if they do, you have to expect that it might be fatal to you.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the shooting was probably an accidental discharge. He would have been pumped with adrenaline, and it doesn't take much of a twitch to pull the trigger.

At the end of the day, you just can't provoke someone into pointing a gun at you - and if they do, you have to expect that it might be fatal to you.

Accidental? He shouldn't have drawn his weapon to begin with! The victim's face was facing the ground, he wouldn't have been able to see it anyway. So what the hell was the point of taking it out? He could have just told him it was out and for all the executed kid would have known is that it was.

There are SOME decent cops but their are too many fucked up psycho's on the job. Watch Clockwork Orange to get an idea. That's art imitating life.

Tardek

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with you that some police are crazy. Look at what socio-economic bracket they are mostly from.

But to simply pull out his gun and execute someone to get his jollies? Nobody is that crazy - and if they are, they aren't both smart enough to hide themselves through screening and dumb enough not to realise the consequences of executing someone in view of others.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Accidental? He shouldn't have drawn his weapon to begin with! The victim's face was facing the ground, he wouldn't have been able to see it anyway. So what the hell was the point of taking it out? He could have just told him it was out and for all the executed kid would have known is that it was.

There are SOME decent cops but their are too many fucked up psycho's on the job. Watch Clockwork Orange to get an idea. That's art imitating life.

Executed was a good choice of words you used, because it was basically that.

oceans11

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with you that some police are crazy. Look at what socio-economic bracket they are mostly from.

But to simply pull out his gun and execute someone to get his jollies? Nobody is that crazy - and if they are, they aren't both smart enough to hide themselves through screening and not realise the consequences of executing someone in view of others.

True, and then there are those who truly don't feel that "some" lives are worth as much as others. So in their mind, they feel they can get away with a "sorry" or "it was an accident". However, if it was an accident maybe the cop quit so quicly not only from guilt but pure shock. I would have to almost bet that seeing death first hand is disturbing.....and then times that by 100 if you did it!

Tardek

Reaction score
Maybe you're right, and the truth of it is that we'll never know for sure, either way. It's obvious that some people do get away from such things with a simple "oops" and a bit of a chastisement - which may have happened if nothing was caught on tape for publication.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
True, and then there are those who truly don't feel that "some" lives are worth as much as others. So in their mind, they feel they can get away with a "sorry" or "it was an accident". However, if it was an accident maybe the cop quit so quicly not only from guilt but pure shock. I would have to almost bet that seeing death first hand is disturbing.....and then times that by 100 if you did it!

+1!

Plus, you have to realize that cops get away with 99.9% of the degenerate **** they pull... and have since there were police. If not for those camera phones, who would stop the cops from saying it was a righteous shooting? Where would that crowd go to issue a complaint against the cops? The very cops that executed a young man before their eyes and were willing to cover it up? The media with no evidence?

Come on.

My dad was a DA and he'd see and hear about **** that cops would do that scared him!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wish i was on a jury for this one, i cant understand why the hell that cop would pull his gun for.

Accidental? bullshit, he got back, aimed at the guys head and pulled the trigger, accidental and he shoots as he's pulling his gun, or something similar to that, not after he aims it as his head.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads