• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thought I'd toss in my own experience for those looking for sizing advice. I usually don't buy shoes without trying them on in person, but I wanted a nice, casual loafer to wear primarily with jeans. And the natural beefroll penny loafers look great.

I'm a 11/11.5C left foot and 10.5/11D right foot on the brannock with high instep. I wear 11-11.5D in AE, 11.5D in Sperries, 11 in Clarks Desert Boots, 11 in Chucks.

I originally ordered 11D, but they were too loose in the heel. I sized down to 10.5D which fit well out of the box, but after a couple days of wear I'm getting some heel slip. I'm hoping this improves as the sole softens. Otherwise, I might have to get some tongue pads.

So my impression is that fit is quite generous in the heel area, even if its TTS otherwise.

with socks?

DopeAsG

Reaction score
They've got them at one location. I think I'm gunna go with osb to round out my collection.

Amused

Reaction score
Do any of you have pictures of broken in camp boots with the vibram sole, preferably showing the entire boot on? There are plenty of pics of broken in oxfords here, but the boots get no love. I'm looking to add the boot to my rotation, and am curious what it'll look like after some real wear and tear. Pictures of any of the boots would be welcomed...thanks!

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thinking about picking up one of the trial oxford, what do you guys think is more versatile to go with different colors of chinos and jeans. Brown or Navy?

OakStreetBootmakers

Reaction score
Hey tv2177 - I personally wear a pair of brown vibram trail oxfords almost every day. They were the first Vibram Trail Oxfords every made - resoled them several times, and they're still going strong. I wear them with both chinos and denim regularly.

With that said, the loden green is quickly becoming my favorite all around. Buuut - navy is the best seller :)

I didn't help did I? :D

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey tv2177 - I personally wear a pair of brown vibram trail oxfords almost every day. They were the first Vibram Trail Oxfords every made - resoled them several times, and they're still going strong. I wear them with both chinos and denim regularly.
With that said, the loden green is quickly becoming my favorite all around. Buuut - navy is the best seller :)
I didn't help did I? :D

well, I kinda get the idea that Navy is the best seller, but Navy is such a tough color to pair with "everything," especially when I have so many blue colored chinos/jeans.

the Loden Green is really getting a lot of my attention on top of Brown. But I wonder if the color will darken with time. if it will then it might be a good consideration, because loden green does go pretty well with chinos and jeans imo.

I like the Cherry color, but....

Madelocal

Reaction score
Well, if you're going for the textbook definition of versatile, don't go with the Navy or Loden...

Personally, I have the Navy with Vibram sole and, although they are my go-to shoe, I wish I'd gone with the brown...I say this because 9/10 days I wear denim, and Navy shoes with dark denim doesn't offer much in the way of contrast.

As well, I think the Brown leather will look better as it wares..

Just one person's opinion.

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, if you're going for the textbook definition of versatile, don't go with the Navy or Loden...

Personally, I have the Navy with Vibram sole and, although they are my go-to shoe, I wish I'd gone with the brown...I say this because 9/10 days I wear denim, and Navy shoes with dark denim doesn't offer much in the way of contrast.

As well, I think the Brown leather will look better as it wares..

Just one person's opinion.

ya i think navy on navy is really tough to pull it out. so brown and green is really the debate. if loden green could get slightly darker then I will probably go with it. or I'll just buy brown for now and another pair later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads