• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

sixfive

Reaction score
5201225595_7a174ab092_z.jpg

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
i would rather talk shoe then issues with sizing and waiting concerns. but whatever
smile.gif

While I agree with you, there's not much to talk about right now, until we all start receiving our shoes and Oak Street places the boots in their online store.

It's legitimate to talk about the wait and sizing because most of us are waiting and there is no solid consensus on sizing besides most people saying to either go true to size or 1/2 size down.

lawlercon

Reaction score
is it something i can potentially help you with? if you want to PM me, i'll try and get an answer from george for you if i can't help.

thanks.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
While I agree with you, there's not much to talk about right now, until we all start receiving our shoes and Oak Street places the boots in their online store.

It's legitimate to talk about the wait and sizing because most of us are waiting and there is no solid consensus on sizing besides most people saying to either go true to size or 1/2 size down.

no i know. sorry for the rant people!

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
Unless he works for Oak Street and can fill me in a a prior discussion that I have had with George then I doubt it or he can tell me where and when I can meet George to pick up my pair, and a something along the lines of a business matter, etc....

Prescott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
i would rather talk shoe then issues with sizing and waiting concerns. but whatever
smile.gif

It is hard to talk about the shoes if not many people have them. Plus, prospective buyers will be concerned about sizing too and the information discussed could be helpful to those folks.

*#..

Reaction score
Update on 7.5 sizing comparisons: 2-eye Sperry Topsider Boatshoes vs. Navy Vibram Sole Trail Oxford, both worn sockless. I don't own Sperry Topsiders, but I borrowed a lightly used 7.5 pair.

The 7.5 Oxfords had ~1 inch in extra room, measuring from the tip of my toe to the end of the shoe. The material itself is pretty thick, so it may be a bit less, but no less than 7/8 inch extra room. My big toe was well below the stitching in the end of the toe-box, ~1/2 inch, can't remember the exact measurement. Regardless, there was plenty of room and heel slip. I could tighten the laces to prevent heel slip, but that would cut circulation to my foot. Socks would solve the heel slip problem, but I want to wear these without socks.

The 7.5 Topsiders were a perfect fit on me without socks; I was very surprised. These weren't even my shoes, and there was absolutely no heel slip when I walked around. I don't like boat shoes, but these were a comfortable fit. With me standing erect, there was almost no extra room (1/8 in at most) from the tip of my big toe to the end of the shoe for both of my feet. My big toe extended just a hair past the farthest tip of the outer line of stitching. It extended into the concave section of the shoe's inside. My pinky toe is barely touching the shoe's inside, but I don't feel cramped at all wearing these. They're just right on me.

I hope this helps clear things up as far as sizing goes. Let me know if any of you need additional help regarding sizing, as I can go further in-depth. George said that OSBs run true to size, and I believe him. I just think Topsiders run a bit small.

lawlercon

Reaction score
that's odd, a size 11 2-eye topsider fits me uncomfortable with a lot of issues around the heel. i do have a wider foot, though. a 10.5 trail oxford fits me absolutely perfect - with socks, or without socks.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawlercon
that's odd, a size 11 2-eye topsider fits me uncomfortable with a lot of issues around the heel. i do have a wider foot, though. a 10.5 trail oxford fits me absolutely perfect - with socks, or without socks.
What kind of heel issues? I have a D width, is yours the same?

lawlercon

Reaction score
yea, i'm a D. i was getting really bad heel rubbing, i could of wore an 11.5 and been better off. they were SUPER uncomfortable. do you know what size you'd wear in redwings? would it be an 8? i got my oakstreets the same size as my redwings (no insoles)

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawlercon
yea, i'm a D. i was getting really bad heel rubbing, i could of wore an 11.5 and been better off. they were SUPER uncomfortable. do you know what size you'd wear in redwings? would it be an 8? i got my oakstreets the same size as my redwings (no insoles)
I actually went to a redwings store once and got measured at one of those machines (not a Brannock device so I don't really trust its measurement). You stand, and it shows an infrared image of your footprints on a small screen. It measured me as 7.5E, but it flickered to 8EE after about 15 seconds, where it stayed. I was wearing normal, ankle-cut socks. The employee let me try on a size 8 pair of boots. I walked around a bit, and they seemed fine. I didn't buy them, though, so I can't know for sure if 8 would be the correct choice for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads