• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers x Faribault Woolen Mills x StyleForum Exclusive!

OakStreetBootmakers

Reaction score
Alright men,
I know the wait has been long, but as you can see from the title, this is a pretty unreal collaboration that we've been working on for you guys. As many of you know and can imagine, we are huge supporters of American Craftsmanship here at Oak Street. So, we thought, who better to partner with than the oldest woolen mill in America.

In 1865, the year Lincoln died and the Civil War ended, the Faribault Woolen Mill Company opened its doors in Faribault Minnesota. From covering our troops during both World Wars to providing warmth for those in need, Faribault blankets have forever been woven into the fabric of American heritage.

In 1895, the US military came to Faribault and asked them to develop a blanket that would become the official blanket given to all cadets at the Westpoint Academy. The blanket was given to each Cadet entering the program and used for their dorm room and for use in the field. Faribault Woolen Mill is still crafting these blankets to the original military specifications in design, color, and finish - a process that has remained unchanged since 1895.

For the collaboration, Oak Street Bootmakers will be using this Westpoint Wool. In a crafting process that takes 8 weeks from raw fiber to finished good, Faribault began crafting a special batch of this wool for us - weeks ago. In order to stand up to the abuses of footwear, this Westpoint Wool will be made us 'unnapped' - meaning Faribault is leaving the wool unbrushed and in a raw state. This increases durability for outdoor use and preserves the original texture of the weave - which is lost when the wool is napped for blanket use. This double cloth weave promotes durability and warmth allowing it to be used in a range of environments and temperatures - ideal for boots.

The details...
Silhouette
The basic silhouette we are using will be that of our Hunt Boot:

Side Panels
The side panels of the boot will be made using the Westpoint Wool that Faribault is crafting exclusively for Oak Street Bootmakers, for you guys here at StyleForum. The side panels will be 'framed' with leather to create a strong unit. The eyelet piece will be leather, the top collar will be leather, and the backstay will also be leather. The rectangular portion that is boxed by blue will be the Westpoint Fabric

Because the fabric is being made for us, we don't have much of a swatch. Rather, we have a small piece of what the fabric will look like

Leather
Brown Horween Chromexcel
Soles
Similar to our last exclusive, we will once again be using the absolutely beautiful Vibram 2060 sole. This time we will be using the dark brown color. Incredibly hard lasting, but super soft, incredibly light.

Welt
Full leather - natural - stitched welt. Photo below shows the natural stitched welt on top of our crepe soles. However, we will be using the brown Vibram 2060 sole as detailed above.

Eyelets
Antique Brass. These are the same eyelets that we use on many of our shoes - simple and beautiful:

Insoles
FULL length vegetable tanned insoles

Laces
Rawhide laces - same as we use on almost all of our shoes

Price/Purchase Info

Oak Street Bootmakers x Faribault Woolen Mills x StyleForum exclusive Hunt Boot: $396
Shipping: Add $10 for shipping within the US, $15 shipping within Canada, $30 rest of world shipping
To reserve your pair - post below and PM us your email address. We will then send you a paypal invoice.

Note: These shoes will be custom made for you. Faribault expects to complete our wool by Sept 1. We will do our absolute best to have a quick turnaround just like we did for our first exclusive. We are shooting for end of September shipping

These are only available through this pre-order process. No extra boots will be made. Pre-orders will close next week. We'll be keeping an eye on pre-orders - Faribault is only making a small batch of this wool for us, so pre-orders may close early.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the idea. Quick question on the wool though. Looks like a navy blended wool in terms of color, right?

OakStreetBootmakers

Reaction score

Love the idea.  Quick question on the wool though.  Looks like a navy blended wool in terms of color, right? 

Great question. The official color is "Cadet Gray", and it is a very true 'gray'. It is quite slubby with highs and lows - black and white yarn spun together.

jimney

Reaction score
I've got a question regarding sizing. I currently own a pair of navy Oak Street boat shoes, and I'm not sure whether I want to size up a half for this if I should opt in. Could I get a good approximation of fit by trying them on with the socks I would be wearing with boots?

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions about the soles:

1 Do you have any pictures of boots in your current lineup with that sole? I'm curious to see it on a boot.

2 As with the camp boots I have from you, could these be re-soled as needed?

Thanks!

3dials

Reaction score
These look fantastic, though in my case it would be unrequited love- I love the boots but unfortunately won't be able to buy in at the time.

Question though: will the fabric retain much in the way of odor as opposed to leather?

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice variation on the boot makeup! Was excited to see this one and I'm sure it will look great but I was hoping for a different sole or an option. I think I'll stick w/ a stock offering.

OakStreetBootmakers

Reaction score

I've got a question regarding sizing.  I currently own a pair of navy Oak Street boat shoes, and I'm not sure whether I want to size up a half for this if I should opt in.  Could I get a good approximation of fit by trying them on with the socks I would be wearing with boots?

I personally wear my hunt boots with pretty thick socks, so I size up a half size from my normal oak street boat shoe/trail oxford size. I wear my 'true' size which is a 10 (i wear a 9.5 in trail oxfords and boat shoes since i wear them sockless and with thin socks)

Two questions about the soles:

1  Do you have any pictures of boots in your current lineup with that sole?  I'm curious to see it on a boot.

2  As with the camp boots I have from you, could these be re-soled as needed? 

Thanks!

1. We don't use this sole in our current line-up. We wanted to use something special. I can post photos of this sole in a different color from our last SF exlusive
2. These can 100% be resoled. This is a sole that no only most cobblers have on hand, but it is a sole that any cobbler can get from Vibram, AND with all of our shoes this can be resoled through us when the time comes as well

will the fabric retain much in the way of odor as opposed to leather?

We spoke about that. Since this is mil spec wool, it will not. While it is built to stand tough against the elements, it is still very breathable

No oxfords?

haha - these are for winter =)

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet winter boots are what I suggested off the other thread as the next exclusive.
Most likely will be in for this one

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested--would these be able to be waterproofed/conditioned (the leather, obviously not the wool) and be functional hunting boots? I have a beat up pair of Gokeys I have used for years now for quail/dove shooting that I could phase out.

Sending a PM.

Last edited:

OakStreetBootmakers

Reaction score
^ I love the old Gokeys back from when they were made USA!

For the hunt boots we've had some customers give us feeback for what they've done to use them in the field. If you're not familar, Obenauf's LP is a great product for waterproofing. We don't recommend it for regular leather care since it darkens the leather a bit, but it is great for waterproofing.

Give the boots a solid coat of Obenauf's. Obenauf's is activated with heat. So after this first coat, you can either put them in the sun, or like others, simply use a hair blow dryer on 'hot'. After 24 hours give them a second coat. Make sure to really work the Obenauf's into the seam at the welt (where the upper and the welt meet) - you may even want to use a brush to really get it in there. Once again, use a blow dryer to activate the Obenauf's. One of our customers said he did a third coat, but only at the seam described in the previous sentence. All have said the result has been great!

And there you have it =)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads