• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC tailor to make ace sportcoat.

John Ellis

Reaction score
My Breanish has arrived. I'm going to get it made up into a sportcoat for the fall. Where should I go. Mr Ned? I had a very bad experience with a NYC tailor last year who made me a couple of jackets. It was literally surreal. I don't want that to happen again.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
My Breanish has arrived. I'm going to get it made up into a sportcoat for the fall. Where should I go. Mr Ned? I had a very bad experience with a NYC tailor last year who made me a couple of jackets. It was literally surreal. I don't want that to happen again.

What happened?
lurker[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you can swing it financially, go to Raphael. I couldn't be more satisfied with the quality of the finished product or the affability of the man.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
What happened?
lurker[1].gif

The outfit was called Bermini. It would take War and Peace to retell the saga. Ultimately I got both jackets, one for free, and they are actually both quite nice but OMG getting there.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
If you can swing it financially, go to Raphael. I couldn't be more satisfied with the quality of the finished product or the affability of the man.

What would he charge?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Raphael charges much more than $1,000.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
$600-$1000. I'd go a smidgen higher if exceptional.

The consensus would be that Mr. Ned will make up something for you in that price range that is likely to fit you well, with the main penalty being refinement of construction and quality of trimmings.

There is a narrower consensus that Breanish is tricky to work...that would be the only thing that would give me pause about Mr. Ned. Perhaps they have experience with it; perhaps not. Even if they do, I can't imagine it would be extensive.

- B

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Ned will do a fine job.

no need to spend a fortune on a tweed jacket.

Why would a tweed jacket be unworthy of top-flight construction? I don't ask combatively but am curious of your position.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Why would a tweed jacket be unworthy of top-flight construction? I don't ask combatively but am curious of your position.

He probably means in cost/benefit terms. I'm inclined to agree with him. I can't get terribly enthused about spending $1500-2000 on a sportcoat from Raphael. I'm keen on clothes and want them to look good but I'll manage to live without the ultimate refinements. Maybe this attitude is based on the fact that I've had suits made bespoke by very high end tailors in London and ended up not liking them as much as Chester Barrie suits I've bought RTW or MTM. At the end of the day you have to worry about the wood as well as the trees.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The consensus would be that Mr. Ned will make up something for you in that price range that is likely to fit you well, with the main penalty being refinement of construction and quality of trimmings. There is a narrower consensus that Breanish is tricky to work...that would be the only thing that would give me pause about Mr. Ned. Perhaps they have experience with it; perhaps not. Even if they do, I can't imagine it would be extensive. - B
I have used Mr. Ned. They do an honest job and provide good value, but it is nothing like real first-class bespoke. It is a great product for normal people but will leave obsessive hobbyists a bit dissatisfied. Edit: Here is a slightly more detailed post on my experience.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I have used Mr. Ned. They do an honest job and provide good value, but it is nothing like real first-class bespoke. It is a great product for normal people but will leave obsessive hobbyists a bit dissatisfied.

Edit: Here is a slightly more detailed post on my experience.

I'm a normal person with fairly high standards but based on a lot of the chat here I don't think I fit into the category of obsessive hobbyist. I'm pretty anal about clothes but I'm definitely little league by comparison with some of you guys. It actually raises an interesting wider question when folks ask for advice on say shoes and folks are cheerfully advising Lobb or bespoke. I've never had bespoke shoes made but have spent as much as $1200 on a pair of shoes which I thought was quite a lot of money at the time, it's still a lot of money. I like some left over for wine, women and song, plus subsidizing my gardening, collecting, book, travel, music and sporting obsessions. I assume others must be in the same boat. Mr Ned sounds like a good option.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably have a bit more experience with this than most and I can say that most discount American tailors / MTMers just aren't worth it.

It's not like it's that cheap in absolute terms and the probability of either failure or underperformance is very high.

Edit: the one exception I know of doesn't do CMT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads