• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC guys, should I buy this apt.?

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/96...79727374_zpid/ Is this price/maint. pretty normal for the area, or is it crazy? I saw this place on AT and looked it up and it happens to be on sale (ignore the note on the listing, it got reposted). The monthly (mtg + maint) on a 30-year is like 2100, which is exactly what a similar unit would cost to rent in the building. I am a single male, 25yrs.

ezlau

Reaction score
looks really nice dude.
smile.gif

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't believe the square footage for the price there. Guess that's NYC for ya, though. Cool bed placement, but I'd imagine you'd be awfully cramped.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point in the near future you will want a bedroom with a door and not an open loft. Most people do anyway. It would be cool for a single guy but once a SO comes into the picture it might change.

M0nster

Reaction score
Make sure to at the case shiller in NYC. I work at a hedge fund and there is a general consensus here that home prices have farther to fall. The key is to get them when they are bottoming out, but before interest rates turn around.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, but I would get bored of the novelty rather quickly.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
check the financial situation of the co-op itself....make sure its in good standing

This is the first comment in the thread I think is relevant. Co-op/condo board financial health is important. I don't know how NYC works but typically if the fees are too low the board may be underfunded and you're about to get hit with massive special assessments.

Originally Posted by M0nster
Make sure to at the case shiller in NYC. I work at a hedge fund and there is a general consensus here that home prices have farther to fall. The key is to get them when they are bottoming out, but before interest rates turn around.

This is also relevant. I don't know the NYC market. Looks like it's very up and down. I suspect that if the market takes another **** kicking, the prices are going to drop again.

Other than that, if it's what you can afford (legitimately, with a proper, non-ARM mortgage), and the best place in the areas you want to live, and it makes financial sense to buy instead of rent, and you don't want to rent anyway, why not?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
25..in NYC?

rent that **** man. It is a cool place but it just doesn't seem worth the ownership expenses.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be fair...I think that is about the size of my 1-bedroom.

I have a tiny bathroom and a pretty open floor plan which makes it feel bigger, but when I was looking, I hoped to find something like this.

Not walling off a separate bedroom and having a lofted section really makes the place bigger (although you have to be pretty neat and tidy to live like that since you can't just shut away the bedroom).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with the bed on that raised platform arrangement? I don't like that. Doesn't this place have a separate bedroom?
Originally Posted by turboman808
550 sq ft? Yikes! Not for me. I would go crazy in a place that small.
It's a bloody rabbit-hutch. My 'lockup/garage' is bigger than that.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aside from the snarky size comments by the people that clearly have no idea how people live in New York, I say it is slightly overpriced for the area. I know the spot and I wouldn't pay that for 550 sq/ft in an "up and coming" spot that is a bit noisy and congested. I would say offer somewhere around $300,000. As others have said look into the maintenance costs, which could be astronomical in a lot of co-ops. This alone could push the place out of your budget even post tax write off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics