• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Many Asking about Clothing for Dates

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a whole field on the psychology of color (including its effects on the subconscious mind). It is very credible. And the point about bright colors and confidence is not inconsistent with it.

Personal coloring and personal taste do impact color choice, of course. For a man, maroon can be a good alternative to red. The more tastes, physical features, and other factors get involved, the more a person should consider a private consultation. It takes some work to get everything right.

Mentos

Reaction score
(1) There is less of a set code for dates, and most guys think they know how to impress someone of their social set, which the date more or less will be.

(2) Most first dates are made on Monday or Tuesday for the upcoming weekend. Not enough time to seek SF advice, pull off a major clothing purchase, and feel comfortable in what you've bought, much less get alterations. Weddings and interviews usually give at least a month's notice in the case of the former, a week in the case of the latter. So you have to go on your own for a date.

1 is more impt than 2.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your point (2) above presumes you can't make any attire decisions for a date until you've actually scheduled it. A bit exaggerated, perhaps?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not trying to completely discredit the field, but I think the context in which these findings are applied is of some importance. I can understand, for instance, why we paint hospital walls light colors as opposed to dark somber ones, but I just don't buy that by wearing a red shirt I'm communicating to women that I'm more sexual.

It seems to me that there would be a lot of confounding variables in a study which attempted to measure those effects and before I gave any credence to them, I would want to see how the studies were designed. People like to extrapolate the results of data, but doing so isn't always reasonable and sometimes it produces completely invalid predictions.

If I chose a red ski suit, does that have anything to do with sexuality? The influence of color on mood makes sense when we're talking about what colors to paint the environment in which you spend a lot of time in, but I don't think they have much bearing when we're talking about what colored shirts I'm wearing.

As for wearing bright colors indicating a certain level of confidence, I don't think that has much to do with the psychology of color, but more to do with the fact that such a man is with chosing to wear something that isn't the norm. Doing so requires confidence because he knows he's going to stick out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
Color and fit - and also texture - communicate power and sensuality. Red, for example, signals sexuality; and a pair of jeans with a flattering fit shows a woman a favorite part of the male form. If a man wears attire that communicates the right mix of the two qualities, he is unlikely to be rejected before he opens his mouth and (at least initially) what he does say is going to be filtered positively.

I am wearing a wine colored hood on top and fitted (but not tight) dark jeans. And I've been doing lots of glut exercises (did a indoor rowing half marathon last Sunday) Hmmm... I must be dead sexy.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Color and fit - and also texture - communicate power and sensuality. Red, for example, signals sexuality; and a pair of jeans with a flattering fit shows a woman a favorite part of the male form.
Maybe that's what I should have worn to Sartorial Excellence.
laugh.gif

Of course then Grayson might be sending me romantic e-mails...

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Your point (2) above presumes you can't make any attire decisions for a date until you've actually scheduled it. A bit exaggerated, perhaps?

It's been my experience that most of this sort of query, when posted by relative newcomers (I am one), tend to be focused on an actual upcoming event. Very few people will ask about dates, weddings, or other events in the abstract. Strikes me that most are not good at thinking too far ahead, unless there's a specific reason to do so...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps so. I guess the regulars here are in the minority in that the mere possibility of an event within the next decade serves as adequate justification for the purchase of another suit or pair of shoes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for one, on the list of Reasons Why A Woman Will Ding You For A Second Date, your dress is way, way down the list. She'll either dig you or she won't, and your clothing won't be the tiebreaker.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Well, for one, on the list of Reasons Why A Woman Will Ding You For A Second Date, your dress is way, way down the list. She'll either dig you or she won't, and your clothing won't be the tiebreaker.

"God, I hated everything about him, BUT he was well dressed...I think I'll give him a call..."

Jon.

wpeters

Reaction score
A female friend of mine met a guy, and went on several dates with him. On the first night they met, he was wearing a fairly nondescript brown shirt. On the first date, he wore the same shirt. On the second date, same shirt. She began commenting to her friends about it, and trying to figure out what his deal was. Third date? You guessed it: same shirt. In between their third date and their fourth (and final) date, she bumped into him at a bar. He was wearing the brown shirt. On the fourth date, he wore a different shirt, and she broke up with him. The shirt issue wasn't determinative, but it contributed to her decision.

I'm still at a loss to explain this, though I have several theories. Anyone?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wpeters
A female friend of mine met a guy, and went on several dates with him. On the first night they met, he was wearing a fairly nondescript brown shirt. On the first date, he wore the same shirt. On the second date, same shirt. She began commenting to her friends about it, and trying to figure out what his deal was. Third date? You guessed it: same shirt. In between their third date and their fourth (and final) date, she bumped into him at a bar. He was wearing the brown shirt. On the fourth date, he wore a different shirt, and she broke up with him. The shirt issue wasn't determinative, but it contributed to her decision.

I'm still at a loss to explain this, though I have several theories. Anyone?

Perhaps he was like Einstein? And liked the shirt so much that he owned a lot of them.

Jon.

wpeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Perhaps he was like Einstein? And liked the shirt so much that he owned a lot of them.

That's one of my theories. That he had a closet full of them. Other theories include:

1) That it was his lucky shirt or "date shirt" or
2) That he had set outfits for each day of the week, and she happened to keep catching him on Sat., which was "brown shirt day."

none of the theories are wholly satisfying, though.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wpeters
That's one of my theories. That he had a closet full of them. Other theories include: 1) That it was his lucky shirt or "date shirt" or 2) That he had set outfits for each day of the week, and she happened to keep catching him on Sat., which was "brown shirt day." none of the theories are wholly satisfying, though.
No. Not a very smart man was / is he? Esp, since he got past the 3rd and 4th dates... Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads