• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not going to the gym

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've discovered that the gym was the biggest impediment to getting myself on a workout routine. It's an extra stop I have to make, an extra change of clothes I have to carry, and the place stinks, is crowded and noisy and full of douchebags yakking nonstop and terrible music. So I'm going to start working out at home. I'm too small timer to afford a home gym right now, so I'm going to do mainly body weight exercises. Has anyone had success doing this? I'm not looking to get really big (I've gained some size over the years from weights and I'm pretty happy with where I am) but I want to harden muscles, get a little stronger, and lose some fat. I don't see myself doing yoga. Maybe p90x, but I live in a small house with a gf and three animals so anything that requires a lot of space will be out.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I think I've discovered that the gym was the biggest impediment to getting myself on a workout routine. It's an extra stop I have to make, an extra change of clothes I have to carry, and the place stinks, is crowded and noisy and full of douchebags yakking nonstop and terrible music. So I'm going to start working out at home. I'm too small timer to afford a home gym right now, so I'm going to do mainly body weight exercises. Has anyone had success doing this? I'm not looking to get really big (I've gained some size over the years from weights and I'm pretty happy with where I am) but I want to harden muscles, get a little stronger, and lose some fat. I don't see myself doing yoga. Maybe p90x, but I live in a small house with a gf and three animals so anything that requires a lot of space will be out.

get a kettlebell - if you can go to a store and try one out, find one that will be good for 10 swings or so - 12 or 16 kilos, or if you are a little smaller, 10 killos. . a single kettlebell takes up almost no space, and will be good for ever.

mehhhh

Reaction score
There was a good total body home workout primer in Details last month, I believe. I don't have a copy but it covered a bunch of good at home workouts in varying levels of intensity.

Definitely get a door pullup bar.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've got the pull up bar. I was considering the kettle bells. I think the Target by my place has them, so I will check that out on the way home.

SJTrance

Reaction score
Get elastic tubes in varying resistances and incorporate with your home program. Look into any numerous workout tapes for an aerobic type workout too.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've got the pull up bar. I was considering the kettle bells. I think the Target by my place has them, so I will check that out on the way home.

Return it if you got one. Make a T handle instead. It's far cheaper, essentially higher quality (the Target kettle bells tore up my hands until I spent 4 hours filling and sanding them) and the weight is entirely adjustable. If you ever get to the point where you've decided that you want to the complicated kb stuff, then get one from Dragon Door

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJTrance
Get elastic tubes in varying resistances and incorporate with your home program. Look into any numerous workout tapes for an aerobic type workout too.
+1 Resistance bands are great for at home exercise. Very versatile.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Return it if you got one. Make a T handle instead. It's far cheaper, essentially higher quality (the Target kettle bells tore up my hands until I spent 4 hours filling and sanding them) and the weight is entirely adjustable. If you ever get to the point where you've decided that you want to the complicated kb stuff, then get one from Dragon Door

splurge, you can get one good kettlebell for 50 bucks or so. you only need one, and it doesn't need to be adjustable

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a new gym. There are many gyms out there. No reason to patronize a subpar one.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got a suspension training system (similar to the TRX system if you Google that) and I'm loving it. I don't think it would be good for someone without a decent amount of training experience, it's not entirely intuitive. It's fun though, really reinvigorated me after a couple years of conventional barbell training.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJTrance

Originally Posted by mm84321
+1 Resistance bands are great for at home exercise. Very versatile.

Not a bad suggestion. I'd recommend these. Great quality and very versatile.

www.bodylastics.com

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this?
It's pretty cash. It also lets you figure out what weight is right for you before you drop a ton of cash. I size all of my pipes to much larger diameters so that I could use the weights meant for barbells that I have laying around. It also works for grip strength.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads