• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Normandie

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know how many folks here are into ocean liners, but to those who are, I highly recommend John Maxtone-Graham's new book on the incomparable Normandie. It is a stunningly produced book, with photos never before published. Awesome illustrations, full deck plans, great interviews with former passengers and crew.

I was at the book launch at Rizzoli last night, and the ship geeks -- me included -- were drooling.

Congratulations, John!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Normandie-08.jpg

Normandie-06.jpg

cs19~DC-3-SS-Normandie-New-York-1938-Posters.jpg

normandie.jpg

SS_Normandie.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Iconic Art Deco poster, an actual CGT (French line) advertisement from the '30s:

254133~Normandie-Posters.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe that famous poster was by the illustrator Cassandre, who also did the iconic YSL logo.

The Normandie had exquisite interiors which really showcased the supremacy of high French taste. More modest among ships, Maison Jansen once also did a beautiful liner's interior, which was apparently never used and gutted for some kind of war effort.

I especially remember the Normandie had an uncommonly grand First class dining room.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I believe that famous poster was by the illustrator Cassandre

Indeed it was.

I especially remember the Normandie had an uncommonly grand First class dining room.
Three decks high, and impossibly long, owing to the divided funnel uptakes. French line publicity boasted that the room was "slightly longer than the Hall of Mirrors."

normandie2_04.jpg

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love Ocean Liners. I used to sail trans - Pacific with my mother when I was a youngster. I recently was on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 that sailed in Southampton. No other way to travel.
68766233.jpg
Docked at Cannes, on my way to St. Tropez.
68064083.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How were the staterooms on the Queen Mary 2?

Modern liners always seem to have rather minimalist decor, not unlike high-end hotels. Not very distinctive, in my opinion.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How were the staterooms on the Queen Mary 2? Modern liners always seem to have rather minimalist decor, not unlike high-end hotels. Not very distinctive, in my opinion.
Incidentally, the original Queen Mary is docked in Long Beach not too far from L.A. The newer QM2 tries to carry on the grandeur of the former liner but due to fire and safety codes, they can't really use the same materials like oak, mahogany etc. Cunard continues to maintain the old guard standards in the British tradition of service and deportment. The dress code is strictly enforced and formal dinners are at least 3 to 4 times a week. My stateroom has it's own private balcony and the decor is 'Art Deco" but in a more modern concept. Their spa wonderful is run by the Canyon Ranch spa and offers world class services. Their high tea at 4:00 can rival the tea room at the Savoy in London. Cunard still manages to adhere to the "Old World" days of Ocean travel. I could not be on the more mass scale cruise ships like Carnival or even the Royal Carribean. I would love to go back on the Mary and maybe this time schedule a "World Cruise" for three months.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Manton,

I also read and collect books and images about old ocean liners. I suppose it's a variation of the spirit that makes men into trainspotters or aircraft spotters. :>)

Some out of print books that I have and recommend hunting down include: 'The Queen Mary' by C.W.R. Winter, published in 1986 by one of her officers who commissioned with her launching. 'The Adventures of a Naval Paymaster' by W.E.R. Martin, a RN officer at the turn of the century is VERY good. 'The Romance of a Modern Liner' [R.M.S. Aquitania], by her Captain E.G. Diggle is also excellent and takes you back in time.

I once stayed a night on board the moored Queen Mary in Long Beach. It was interesting and am glad to have done it, but it was ultimately unsatisfying.

Here is a link to a 'copy' of the Il de France's dining room in Montreal. I hope to get there someday and check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaton's_Ninth_Floor_(Montreal)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics