• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Norman Parkinson - Vintage Fashion Photograhy

BellisVintage

Reaction score
Norman Parkinson, to me, epitomises my philosophy of elegance, refinement and old world glamour. NP had that quintessentially vintage English eccentricity which surrounded true creativity - people who were not afraid of doing something different which would influence our lives long after they have left this world. Sadly, today profit is all and life has become more bland and mass produced or designer labelled - there is not as much tolerance of the unusual, the avant-garde, the eccentric, the dandy - doing something alternative. Even in English society, once a bastion of eccentricity, it has been much watered down - but think of all the great stylists - Oscar Wilde, Cecil Beaton, Quentin Crisp and many more.

NP is one of the masters. He often chose inspiring and unusual backdrops for his timeless fashion shots - a leader where so many have now followed. Today the artistry of the photographer is often overlooked for the celebrity or the designer. It is so refreshing not to know who the designer is - because it doesn't really matter - it's not about brand marketing - it's about the imagination of the photographer producing something beautifully glamorous which stays in our spirit, pure and simple.

brionesfaith

Reaction score
I appreciate black and white or gray scale photography because I think it has more mystery to it than colored ones, in my opinion.

Do you think Norman can make this photo look really great?
smile.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, whatever. If we stick to photography, they are pretty weak and uninspiring considering what has been done at that time.
!luc

BellisVintage

Reaction score
The thing you are not realising is that Norman Parkinson was the first to take fashion photography outside of the studio. He invented the outdoor juxtaposition of couture with the ordinary or extraordinary, he was the trailblazer that allow the others to follow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads