• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Phanes

Reaction score
think it is critical to just get the sizing right the first time and follow Shuyler's/Nick's CS advice in regards to sizing.
Yep, inmade thebsheet thingy and was a little bit unsure but they nailed it. Way better than for example the local red wings store with brannock and three different sizes.

Reaction score
Is it easy for you to get to a shipping place to return a pair that didn’t fit?

if so you could always order a half size down and a full size down then return the one that didn’t fit you. I don’t know how much nicks would like that tho. You hear of people that are uncertain about sizing buying 2 sizes and returning one in mass produced items.. just don’t know about handmade ones.

Don’t think Nicks offer returns like that :) but they do offer a single exchange per order, so if the fit ends up being wrong, i can always exchange for a better fitting size. I’m just trying to avoid paying postage back to the states, and dealing with getting the import taxes back, then paying them again for the exchanged pair - would be wayyy to much bureaucracy for my tastes.

TyrLI

Reaction score
Don’t think Nicks offer returns like that :) but they do offer a single exchange per order, so if the fit ends up being wrong, i can always exchange for a better fitting size. I’m just trying to avoid paying postage back to the states, and dealing with getting the import taxes back, then paying them again for the exchanged pair - would be wayyy to much bureaucracy for my tastes.
The exchanged pair would be valued at $0 coming back to you

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just do yourself a favor and don’t listen to anyone that’s trying to normalize the fit of your boots being anything other then perfect

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, inmade thebsheet thingy and was a little bit unsure but they nailed it. Way better than for example the local red wings store with brannock and three different sizes.
My experience with the local red wing store was bad. They basically lied to me about my size after measuring my foot because they didn’t carry my true size in width. So for a couple months while shopping for other brands boots I always thought I was a 8 double E .. (that’s what RW told me) Come to realize months later I’m actually higher in width then that size but red wing never told me because they didn’t carry anything over a EE.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
My experience with the local red wing store was bad. They basically lied to me about my size after measuring my foot because they didn’t carry my true size in width. So for a couple months while shopping for other brands boots I always thought I was a 8 double E .. (that’s what RW told me) Come to realize months later I’m actually higher in width then that size but red wing never told me because they didn’t carry anything over a EE.
This has been my experience with Redwing as well. I liked the actual boots but I found they were just terrible if I ever had to have a long day in them, once my feet started swelling after a 10 hour day, man I couldn’t get them off my feet fast enough. They definitely fit me in a “too small” pair, and convinced me that they knew it felt too small now, they were factoring in the “leather stretch”.. which was just plain ‘ol lying.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the new jacket on the Nicks site? Its a collab with Weatherwool. For those that dont know, Ralph at WW makes a truly incredible product. Im a big wool fan and his stuff is BY FAR the best Ive ever seen & felt.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Has anybody seen the new jacket on the Nicks site? Its a collab with Weatherwool. For those that dont know, Ralph at WW makes a truly incredible product. Im a big wool fan and his stuff is BY FAR the best Ive ever seen & felt.
We have not made any yet besides the prototypes, which we kept for ourselves because they are really awesome.

probably will be off the site in a day or two for anyone reading.

merchantdj

Reaction score
Hi Shuyler, I'm a long time listener and first time caller. I just recently ordered my first pair of Nicks Boots (a custom Urban Drifter in brown CXL) and had a question about the bellows tongue.

If I recall correctly, Nicks uses brown of black leather for the tongue, depending on the color of the upper. Luckily for me, brown CXL is pretty close to what I see for brown tongues on other boots.

I thought I remember reading that Nicks was, at some point, considering skiving matching upper leather to more closely align the tongue to the rest of the boot.

Does that happen? I was just thinking 1964 brown would look great with a matching tongue. Thanks for reading!

Phanes

Reaction score
brown CXL is pretty close to what I see for brown tongues on other boots
Yep it is very close, just a little softer and thinner for comfort.
Here a pic of brown cxl with brown tong and cxl quilty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220823-175819.png
    Screenshot_20220823-175819.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 174

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Shuyler, I'm a long time listener and first time caller. I just recently ordered my first pair of Nicks Boots (a custom Urban Drifter in brown CXL) and had a question about the bellows tongue.

If I recall correctly, Nicks uses brown of black leather for the tongue, depending on the color of the upper. Luckily for me, brown CXL is pretty close to what I see for brown tongues on other boots.

I thought I remember reading that Nicks was, at some point, considering skiving matching upper leather to more closely align the tongue to the rest of the boot.

Does that happen? I was just thinking 1964 brown would look great with a matching tongue. Thanks for reading!
We have experimented with it and I do definitely think it would be cool and it's a longer-term goal. We have some equipment limitations where our splitter is concerned in that we only have one and have a hard time splitting all the gussets along with all the other stuff that we need to split down. Basically we tried it and we couldn't keep up.

Splitters are the most expensive equipment we can get, really, with good ones like a Fortuna coming in around $60-80K. A lot of our capital budget has been going to sanders, sewing machines, buffers and other equipment. Hoping to be able to pick up another in the next 6 months.

Thanks for your question and for being a customer.

merchantdj

Reaction score
Yep it is very close, just a little softer and thinner for comfort.
Here a pic of brown cxl with brown tong and cxl quilty.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like we both picked antique brass hardware, too. Looks great on brown CXL.

merchantdj

Reaction score
We have experimented with it and I do definitely think it would be cool and it's a longer-term goal. We have some equipment limitations where our splitter is concerned in that we only have one and have a hard time splitting all the gussets along with all the other stuff that we need to split down. Basically we tried it and we couldn't keep up.

Splitters are the most expensive equipment we can get, really, with good ones like a Fortuna coming in around $60-80K. A lot of our capital budget has been going to sanders, sewing machines, buffers and other equipment. Hoping to be able to pick up another in the next 6 months.

Thanks so much for the response, Shuyler. I appreciate it and am really looking forward to receiving my boots in a couple of months.

chicken1616

Reaction score

I would prefer you used the same oz. leather as the rest of the boot. I have 20+ PNW pairs, and the tongue has a greater propensity to wear, because of the thinner leather. Just my 7-8 oz.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would prefer you used the same oz. leather as the rest of the boot. I have 20+ PNW pairs, and the tongue has a greater propensity to wear, because of the thinner leather. Just my 7-8 oz.
Yeah. It gets tough to fold at that point but would be good to see if we can find something thicker that folds as easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads