• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2010-2011 Season

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it's not like it was a bump well after the pass. It was tear-off-head intensity well after the pass. IMO too late for a hit like that.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Does anyone else think that was a perfectly good hit? I've watched it and I can't see anything wrong with it. It's terrible that Horton was injured, no one wants to see that but it was just a good hit. Not sure what else to say about it.

I think 2 years ago, that hit is 100% clean (or at least, allowed under the rules of hockey). There is now a rule prohibiting: "a lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact."

Given that rule, the hit was definitely lateral (or blind side), and with Rome leaving his feet and leading with his shoulder, it appears that the head was "targeted and/or the principal point of contact". So I think the hit is against the rules.

Personally, I don't think that hit was all that 'dirty' - IMHO, it was a hockey play and s**t happens, especially when you're not paying attention. But reading the rules and league emphasis, I think it was a violation.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sancho Panzo Christ
i think more offensive was the leaving the feet part,
ncczh5.jpg
He didn't leave his feet. After the hit you can see Rome in the air, well, try bodychecking someone and keeping your feet firmly planted. This wasn't a Torres-behind-the-net-leap-of-faith. Suspension: Severe injury Head contact Rome is moving east-west Late hit - frame count from puck release to hit was something like .98 seconds, as opposed to NHL standard of .5 seconds for late hits No suspension: Horton is moving north-south Head down/looking away Reasonable to expect a hit in that area Did not leave his feet Interested to see Shanahan's take. Part of me wants the thin-skull principle applied to punishments. In terms of "hockey plays" this is not that bad, the only reason this is getting blown up is that Horton is now severely hurt. Again, nobody gave a **** about this hit since buddy was fine afterwards, and these were pretty similar hits - only difference was the lateness factor.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 games. I wonder if that was an objective 4 games for the sake of deserving 4 games, or simply the magic number to get him booted for the rest of the Final.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
If a goalie wants to do things like that, I'd say he should make sure he has his head up when he leaves the crease.

Right, because guys never take runs at the goalie when they're in the crease.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I think 2 years ago, that hit is 100% clean (or at least, allowed under the rules of hockey). There is now a rule prohibiting: "a lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact."
Ok.
that rule, the hit was definitely lateral (or blind side)
Ok. But then again, that's the whole idea of not following / watching your own pass and keeping the head up. Had Horton not watched his pass, he would've been aware of what was coming. Not to say that he couldn't have been hurt but possibly he could've avoided the main brunt of the check. Anyone can get hurt while getting hit.
with Rome leaving his feet
He didn't leave his feet to hit Horton at all.
with his shoulder,
That's how one checks. With the shoulder (or hip).
appears that the head was "targeted and/or the principal point of contact"
I don't believe that he "targeted" his head at all.
I think the hit is against the rules. Personally, I don't think that hit was all that 'dirty' - IMHO, it was a hockey play and s**t happens, especially when you're not paying attention. But reading the rules and league emphasis, I think it was a violation.
After having played hockey for 25 years all the way up to being in training camp for a minor league team, I really think the league is on a slippery slope with these rules. This whole thing isn't going to get resolved. I guess my opinion would be to make the rinks bigger like European / Olympic hockey and make it more of a skater / scorer faster game. I'd support that but trying to regulate how someone checks is like trying to corral water. It won't work.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
Right, because guys never take runs at the goalie when they're in the crease.

Not to hit them and knock them over with a body check they don't.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Also people seem to not understand what a blind side hit is. It wouldve been blindside had he come from the side. It's a north south hit. It does not become blind side simply because horton is looking in the other direction. ****, then everyone could make a hit suspendable by turning their head.

soxpats

Reaction score
Pretty sweet trade for Vancouver, lose a nobody for 4 games and take out a first liner for the series. Didn't see much of Vancouver until recently. Didn't realize they were so dirty. Biting and taking cheap shots with all that talent seems a waste to me.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Also people seem to not understand what a blind side hit is. It wouldve been blindside had he come from the side. It's a north south hit. It does not become blind side simply because horton is looking in the other direction. ****, then everyone could make a hit suspendable by turning their head.

Does the rule indicate north south for the person being hit, or delivering the hit? I'm honestly hot sure - Horton was going north-south, but if you look at the picture above Rome's feet are pointing east-west, or maybe that was just the angle he shifted to in order to put the shoulder to him.

This seems like a Campbell-esque suspension, I thought there was going to be a radical shift in discipline. Oops.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From TSN:

"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," said NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy in a statement. "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

What I don't understand is that these two factors mirror Chara's hit on Pacioretty. How does one result in a 4 game suspension and the other nothing at all?

Sancho Panzo Christ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
From TSN:

What I don't understand is that these two factors mirror Chara's hit on Pacioretty. How does one result in a 4 game suspension and the other nothing at all?

good point. how serious was pacioretty's injury? i'm too ******* lazy to look it up, and i assume someone here knows.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
From TSN:

Similar hits don't require similar punishments; the NHL is not a common-law courtroom you tard!!!!!!!!! You don't know anything about hockey!!! Objectivity!!!
/lordbarrington

To be honest, if the flavour of the season wasn't "headshots" it would have been punished similarly. If Chara would have caught Pac in the trolley tracks, or if it even tangentially resembled a Rule-48, he would be equally fucked. Likewise, if Rome put Horton's head into the stanchion, or gave him the same injury in a non-open-ice hit, no suspension.

herragge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sancho Panzo Christ
good point. how serious was pacioretty's injury? i'm too ******* lazy to look it up, and i assume someone here knows.

Pacioretty is fine now. However he had a fractured vertebrae. In my opinion, the injury here is worse than the injury on Horton, and Chara doesn't get anything, Rome gets 4?

I think what also plays into this decision is that Colin Campbell is no longer running the show. It is now Murphy and the boys, so they may be setting a precedent on this hit to get these kinds of hits out of the league. 4 games is pretty severe, was certainly not predicated by any of the analysts.

I don't mind the suspension on Rome because he is a liability on the ice sometimes. Took two bad penalties in game two. Vancouver has Ballard and Alberts, so they are deep enough to call up someone worthy. I don't honestly know why Ballard didn't play in the first place for Rome, apparently Vigneault and Ballard don't see eye to eye or something.

Definitely don't agree with 4 games. 2 max. Sucks for Boston though, Horton is a huge gash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads