• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL Sudden Death OT Rule

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about just playing another quarter instead of first to score? Maybe shorten the quarter to 8 minutes.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Total no. of overtime games (1974-2003) 365
Both teams had at least one possession 261 (72 %)
Team won toss and won game 189 (52 %)
Team lost toss and won game 160 (44 %)
Team won toss and drove for winning score 102 (28 %)
Games ending in a tie 15 (5 %)

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Total no. of overtime games (1974–2003) 365

It still seems coin toss often wins the game to me, stats notwithstanding. I hate the rule.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Marty Mornhinweg of the Detroit Lions. Apparently he wanted to play with the wind. Classic example of overthinking the situation. If I had the '85 Chicago Bears defense and was playing in the middle of a monsoon, I'd still elect to receive.

Wasn't Marty the guy who - on the first day of practice - decided his team was just going through the motions, and rode away on his motorcycle? Sure set the tone for THAT year.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like touchdown only in OT. I'm not going to talk about what's "fair" but the idea of potentially having only one team receive a kick off, have a decent return, move the ball a few yards, then have the kicker score 3 points to win the game shouldn't determine it.

The whole argument that defense should step up in the event of a lossed coin toss is only half of it. You lose the coin toss, you need BOTH your defense and offense to step it up, a burden that a team who wins some random coin toss doesn't necessarily have to face, more often than not.

I'm okay with the toin coss though, but require a real score, not one reliant on the physically weakest guy on the team besides the waterboy.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Total no. of overtime games (1974-2003) 365

These statistics are a bit misleading. In 1994, the NFL moved kickoffs from the 35-yard line to the 30-yard line. Since 1994, the team that has received the ball first in OT has gone on to win the game 60% of the time. That percentage should increase as kickers get better. Perhaps a good compromise is to institute a "first to six" rule: a team must score a touchdown or two field goals to win the game.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
If it were up to me each team would get one down from the 3 yard line. That way the team has to decide if it wants to kick the field goal or go for the touchdown. The conversion rate for such a play would likely be greater than 50%, so over time the games would be won by the teams that had the balls to go for the touchdown rather than the team that played it safe for the easy field goal.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Perhaps a good compromise is to institute a "first to six" rule: a team must score a touchdown or two field goals to win the game.

I like this idea.

Mr T

Reaction score
I prefer the college solution. Each team gets at least one possession.

If the NFL insists on the sudden death rule they should at least be accurate and kill one player from the losing team.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Didn't it used to be that oone quarter was played regardless? Hence the epic San Diego/ Miami game in the 70s?

Next I would prefer the present system. Anything else is gimmicky.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Didn't it used to be that oone quarter was played regardless? Hence the epic San Diego/ Miami game in the 70s?

I think that was a playoff game, no? Not sure if there were different rules then for the playoffs and regular season. Regardless, I remember that game -- the one where Kellen Winslow (Sr.) came back from losing several limbs, an eye, and one of his lungs or some such.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
teams get equal number of returns...and they go from there

go until your stopped, ie no punting...if you are in field goal range you can kick

after you score or are stopped, you kick off to the other team and they either better you/match you/or lose

idk about turnovers yet

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to those of you who are opposed to games ending with field goals, why not eliminate field goals/extra points from the game all together?

if american football is about strength and speed and tactical schemes, why should the game be decided by some 5'7" salvadoreño?

DBoon

Reaction score
erhaps a good compromise is to institute a "first to six" rule: a team must score a touchdown or two field goals to win the game.

um, genius??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads