• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2016-17 Thread

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mediocre QBs get overpaid all the time (compare cap hit for a mediocre QB to an elite one) IMO because GMs / coaches want to win now to keep their jobs, so it's worth overpaying to manage risk at the QB position. I have no idea where Cousins will end up, but stranger things have happened. Look at Osweiler and the Texans.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading that Cousins is likely to get $125 million/5 years with at least $75 million guaranteed from someone. Going strictly by the numbers, he deserves it. I've seen him play quite a bit, and to my eye, he has neither the elite arm strength nor the elite ball placement to warrant that figure. The problem for the Redskins is that there's no Plan B if they don't re-sign Cousins. Colt McCoy and Nate Sudfeld are not starter material, and the upcoming draft is very thin for QBs. So the alternative is to sign a veteran (Tony Romo? Jay Cutler?) as a "bridge" while you look for your next long-term starter. Not very appealing.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not necessarily.

Cap is always going up so you can't compare raw numbers. % of cap is better way of looking at it.

Is Cousins elite? No. But I do think he's starter material. Considering who they've had at the QB position in recent years, I'd be surprised if they let him walk.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cousins has basically had two pretty decent years starting 16 games (2015 and 2016). He's not elite, but if the numbers he's generating hold, he has potential to be a slightly above average starting QB. He could well end up being more successful than Eli or Flacco. I kind of want to withhold judgment until I see a bit more, especially when he plays on such a mediocre team, but then the Texans signed a guy who started less than half a season and played with thorough mediocrity during those starts to around $18 million a year. It's weird to think he's worth $20 million a year, but like I said, the market for average QBs has gone crazy. Makes me grateful Brady plays for cheap in comparison (I guess it helps if you have a wife that makes more than you).

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brady probably makes it all back on his endorsement deals with Under Armour and...shudders...Uggs...

Last edited:

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the better cousins theories I heard was to franchise him again, then sign long term if he has another good year.

While I don't think Cousins is elite, I don't think he's garbage either. One of the things that happens with top quarterbacks is that it is tough to assemble the rest of the pieces around them, once they get paid.

So is Cousins good enough to be 20-25% of your cap and still take you to a Championship? I doubt it. Does he have the ability to be a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson or Joe Flacco and game manage you to that place - yes.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay 24 for another year, it will give him more leverage next year so no certainty that you can keep him if he plays well ($34m to keep him another year). Sign him and build the rest of the team accordingly or let him go and find someone else.

Also, at some point resentment will start to set in if they string him along because they don't believe in him.

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
**** Cousins sideways for even the remote possibility that he might develop resentment at the horrifying oppression he might be subjected to.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**** Cousins sideways for even the remote possibility that he might develop resentment at the horrifying oppression he might be subjected to.

:laugh: It has happened before with players who aren't much better than Cousins. Either way, I personally think franchise tag is a complete bull ****.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

:laugh: It has happened before with players who aren't much better than Cousins. Either way, I personally think franchise tag is a complete bull ****.

Agreed on both fronts. I was mostly kidding.
The reality is we all have egos and personal senses of entitlement. I've certainly gotten cranky over bonus decisions or the like, despite the fact that relative to most folks I was in a pretty fortunate and privileged spot. As ridiculous as it seems from the outside, I'm sure the sense of aggrievement and "unfairness" obscenely rich pro athletes feel in that situation is sincere and a natural human reaction.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've got to pay "pretty good" QB's anyway because how many truly elite QB's are there that have played at an elite level for a sustained time? Rodgers , Brady, Brees, maybe Cam. Ryan had a MVP season but he's flown under my radar all this time before that

Cousins doesn't seem like he's any worse than Tannehill

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose it is
1f605.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads