• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newc's Bespoke Adventure.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After much, much, much consideration, I have finally chosen my next order... *drumroll*

View attachment 820566

Pants. Pleated. Normal side striping. No cuffs. Suspenders.

Vest. Currently working out the details.

This is undoubtedly an extravagance. But I am very excited.

Sounds fantastic and I can't wait to see the results. I would choose flat front pants over pleated, I believe it creates a cleaner look overall which will work better for black tie.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's the association with military uniforms. I've never seen a dress or mess uniform with pleats. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but they seem to be relatively rare at the least. In any case, pleats look out of place on black tie to me. I don't know how I'd feel about them on a DB tuxedo, but I don't care for those anyway.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like pleats. Cary grant, Fred Astaire, Gianni angelli, the duke of Windsor all preferred pleats on their tuxedos. I think this whole anti pleat movement is generated by poorly executed pleats, whereas if properly executed pleats can look better than flat fronts & provide more movement.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not the case for me. I'm not anti pleat and indeed I have several pairs of trousers with pleats. It's pleats on a tuxedo specifically that I don't like. The two things shouldn't be equated.

Interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. It's a taste difference & we can't argue that.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opted for pleats, asked Chris whether or not he would opt for pleats, and he confirmed that he too would opt for pleats. I like both pleated and not pleated pants, but in the case of the tuxedo, for some reason I equate tuxedos with pleats (and of course, no cuffs).

All that said, I would probably go with no pleats in the RTW scenario. However, pleats with bespoke trew are wonderful things.

And UC - good idea w/r/t to the cummerbund. I may sit the cummerbund out this time (read: budget), but may order the satin.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opted for pleats, asked Chris whether or not he would opt for pleats, and he confirmed that he too would opt for pleats. I like both pleated and not pleated pants, but in the case of the tuxedo, for some reason I equate tuxedos with pleats (and of course, no cuffs).

All that said, I would probably go with no pleats in the RTW scenario. However, pleats with bespoke trew are wonderful things.

And UC - good idea w/r/t to the cummerbund. I may sit the cummerbund out this time (read: budget), but may order the satin.

Cummerbund over vest!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cummerbund over vest!

Really? I like vests - the lower cut double breasted ones look rather elegant. I feel like Cummerbund works better w/ shawl & vest works better with peak.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I like vests - the lower cut double breasted ones look rather elegant. I feel like Cummerbund works better w/ shawl & vest works better with peak.

Agreed, but a vest is adding another layer of clothing for him to burn up in. I say keep it simple and stick with the cummerbund.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get both made haha - more options. I'm a fan of double breasted tuxedos to avoid this problem. My 2 main tuxedos both are db. One midnight blue shawl, one black peak 4x2.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll wear it with cummerbund (which I have , in satin), and with vest. But I love a classic tuxedo vest - and bespoke is literally the only place where you can get one made well.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the details that Chris and I have discussed: [B said:
Dinner Jacket[/B]. Midnight Blue Barathea cloth for everything except for lapels. Black Satin peak lapels. Prefer for peak lapels to be on the wider side with some belly (but still proportionate). Single breasted. One button (covered). Ventless. Jetted hip pockets. Barchetta jacket pocket (i.e., normal pocket). Button hole with boutonniere loup. Bit more roping on the shoulder. 4 sleeve buttons.

Pants. Pleated. Normal side striping. No cuffs. Suspenders.

Vest. Currently working out the details.

This is undoubtedly an extravagance. But I am very excited.

Nice. Very nice! I went with exactly your options except that I opted for no button hole. Which of the two midnight blue suitings did you chose?
On your vest options, let me know if you want some shots of the "standard" Despos option. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gone with the U-shaped option. No regrets whatsoever on the other choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads