• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'New' overcoat - able to be tailored or lost cause?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you trust your tailor to do the work; trust his opinion too. He is seeing the coat on you and should have an experienced eye. That's is the advantage of having a decent tailor. He's been there and done that and can advise you from his experience.
Most of my comments were to deter you from trying to restyle the coat to be something else than what it is. That is always a bad mistake. Keep the coat pure to the original design but make it proportioned to your size. Don't create a mutt from a classic design.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@comrade I have to thank you for giving me the correct name for this style coat! I was not familiar with Balmacaan's prior to your post (I suspect the the famous NYC-based tailor who is widely referenced on the forum was not familiar with it either, based on how he wanted to modify the coat. Indeed, he pinned it up so as to make it fit like a chesterfield!). After reading up on it a bit, I am going to base the tailoring on how Roger Moore's looked in The Naked Face: http://www.thetweedpig.com/2017/11/the-enduring-appeal-of-balmacaan.html.

I actually own a Burberry Balmacaan which I bought at Barneys
in NYC over 30 years ago. It is medium/dark gray in a Loden like
wool fabric- that sheds rain. I like the formal color combined with
the Balmacaan sporty cut. The coat is in perfect condition because
it only worn when I travel to cold climates.

Reaction score
I actually own a Burberry Balmacaan which I bought at Barneys
in NYC over 30 years ago. It is medium/dark gray in a Loden like
wool fabric- that sheds rain. I like the formal color combined with
the Balmacaan sporty cut. The coat is in perfect condition because
it only worn when I travel to cold climates.

That's a funny coincidence, my coat has a Barney's NY liner.

M

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Most of my comments were to deter you from trying to restyle the coat to be something else than what it is. That is always a bad mistake. Keep the coat pure to the original design but make it proportioned to your size. Don't create a mutt from a classic design.
This... a thousand times this. Save up your money and buy what you want. Don't try to turn something you don't want into something you want. It simply won't work well and you will have wasted money and it will be (as Despos says) a mutt.

In this situation, I think the original poster should sell this coat and buy one that fits. If he likes the style he should be able to find one in his size in a thrift store if he's patient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads