1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New Orleans Dec 29-Jan1 - Could use some dining and tourist recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Heading to the big easy for new years and I was hoping I could tap you guys for things to do and places to eat in the city. The new years eve party is supposed to be ridiculous. I definitely want to have some beignets, chicory coffee, po boy's, crawfish, muffalatta, and any other cajun delicies that you all recommend. TIA.

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Hurricane's at Pat O'brien's on borubon. Best hurricane you will ever have. 3 oz of rum for $7, be sure to return your glass.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

It'll be VERY crowde... Like Times Square. I've done 3 NYE's there.
    Cafe du Mond is the obvious for Beignet and Coffee. Emeril's places are good but often full.

Cochon is good locally sourced food just outside the Quarter. Inexpensive.
    For anything in the quarter, check your reservations now.
    There's a bowl game at the dome on the 3rd so many of the fans will be in town for NYE.
    There's another New Orleans in here somewhere.

4. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Bar Tonique has great cocktails.

5. Mandres

Mandres Well-Known Member

Are you staying in the French quarter? Will you have transportation available? It will be an absolute mad house in the quarter this year. If you're looking for that carnival atmosphere then everything you could need or want is right there. Just follow the crowds and ask the hotel staff where they recommend eating/drinking. It's probably too late to make reservations at anywhere well-known by this point, but there will be plenty of good food everywhere.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

pls take and post flicks of said madness if possible...

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'll be in the French quarter at the Hotel Monteleone. Transportation will be cabs and/or walking.

I'd like a fancy dinner on the 30th since I'm not sure what time I'm getting in on the 29th yet. Obviously, NYE will be fucking nuts so I'm not sure about that. Maybe a good place for brunch on the 31st and 1st. And any other must eats would be good.

How about things to do? I know that food is high on the list, but is there any thing I should make a trip to see?

8. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

mr. b's is right across the street from your hotel. Get the barbecued shrimp.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Though more cleaned up now... a tour through the lower wards down to St. Bernard's etc to witness what's (not) left of the area post-Katrina is eye-opening. I went through before the clean-up (still muddy) and hope to never revisit something like that again.

For traditional NOLA brunch try http://www.cafeatchafalaya.com/ - in the Garden District.
    A more upscale/outdoor patio setting is Two Sisters: http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

check larry flints for some hoes....

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Muffuletta sandwich from Central Grocery is a must. Unless you have a huge appetite, it's good for two meals.

12. changy

changy Senior member

Like black tooth grin said, Mr B's across the street has good shrimp. Their bread pudding is also fantastic
    Acme's Oyster is just around the corner too. I'm not a big fan of raw Louisiana lobsters, but I like the grilled oysters they have here.

A swamp tour might sound cheesy but its actually a lot of fun. Our bus driver even made a detour through a neighborhood that was destroyed by Katrina and it would be a solemn affair if not for the bros on the bus.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

That kind of sounds like fun.

Any recs for po'boy's?

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I love the Montleone.

go to snug harboar for jazz, have brunch at camander's palace. enjoy

15. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

Quote:
    Not the biggest poboy fan, but johnny's, acme oyster house, and felix's are probably the best in the french quarter. Debris poboy from mother's in warehouse district. Uptown, domilice, guy's, and crabby jack's (kinda out of the way, but probably my favorite).

If you're looking for somewhere nice, lilette and coquette are great.

John Besh's Luke has a great happy hour with cheap drinks and 25 cent oysters. Definitely check it out.

I second globe's snug harbor suggestion. Also dba, spotted cat in the marigny

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  16. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I think Johnny's is overrated. I've had better poboys in Dallas.

17. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

Mahony's for Po-boys (and the antique places stetching for miles on Magazine Street are fun)
    http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index.ssf/2011/12/mahonys_pot_roast_beef_po-boy.html

Rau (630 Royal Street) may be the world's finest antique store

Tourists like Emeril's places more than the locals do (same for K-Paul's)
    Galatoire's (less than 2 blocks from your hotel) is the number one favorite of locals for fine traditional NOLA food
    Cochon is a wonderful, modest place.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  18. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Active Member

I agree with Mahony's for a poboy. Parkway, Parkway, Crabby Jacks, and Parenton's are good options as well..

Cochon/Butcher, GW Fins, K Pauls, Boucherie, Clancy's, Casamento's, Rio Mar, Commander's, Bayona, Mat and Naddie's, Dick and Jenny's, Coquette, Central Grocery...to name just a few...leave the FQ and go Uptown for a while...plenty of stuff on Magazine.