• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Mercedes and McLaren supercars

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
oh, and, I'm CERTAINLY not suggesting that designers go all Jay Mays on us and just redraw successful designs. but there's no use throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think the BMW 507 -> Z8 is a proper way to do such a design homage, but that's me.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
so the bauhaus way is the only way then? i totally disagree with that whole philosophy. sure, form can follow function and most likely should. that doesn't mean that you can't apply decoration and affectation to it once you get there.
Not at all. Bruno Sacco transformed Mercedes-Benz from a Modern industrial manufacturer into a Post-modern brand -- so I fully appreciate the culture of design beyond mere form-follows-function. But the main issue here is 'culture'. Mercedes has adopted a more superficial design culture under Peter Pfeiffer. Raiding the archives and assembling a number of historic styling cues does not automatically give a product substance or heritage. Sacco brought a very academic approach to Mercedes' design culture -- there were ideals and principals that governed his approach. Mercedes design is now a very Global concern with studios in several countries. The products have lost a sense of design purpose or direction -- they are more styling exercises designed in accordance with the results from marketing surveys and focus groups -- which I do understand is the way of the world today -- but I guess what I'm saying is, a culture like this is unlikely to deliver the kind of inspirational visions and genius of cars like the classic 300SL.

the 300SL is one of the most beautiful designs in history. not car designs, but designs in general. Why not take some cues from it since the rest of MBs cars are atrociously uninspired and ugly.
I guess I have considered Mercedes to be a marque that advances automobile design -- the designers of the original 300SL never looked to the past -- the 300SL was a thoroughly contemporary design in the mid 1950s.

plus, in reality, MB is designing for the real world. Heritage inspired design with tricky gullwing doors and a giant MB star in the mouth is what people with $200k + want and that's what MB is going to deliver. THAT is pragmatic design.
...that is probably more pragmatic business. You are correct, the main market for this car is probably baby-boomers -- and they seem to love Retro-designs. It is so introspective as much as retrospective ...appealing to sentimental desires (maybe). But I am a futurist at heart ...so I like artifacts that express the technology and high-culture of our time.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McLaren:
mclarenp112.jpg

Looks too much like:

ferrari_360_modena_005.jpg

M-B:
03-2010-sls-amg-leakage.jpg

Don't like the front end of the Benz. Looks sort of like:

2008_Pontiac_Solstice_ext_1.jpg

or an old Cobra.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
I guess I have considered Mercedes to be a marque that advances automobile design -- the designers of the original 300SL never looked to the past -- the 300SL was a thoroughly contemporary design in the mid 1950s.

Mercedes definitely did advance design. I would never disagree that. and for that reason my dad and I have a 67 230SL sitting in a bay in my dad's garage. breakthrough designs at the time that have withstood the test of time. though it could certainly be argued that the SL of the mid-late 60s especially the 190, were directly derived from the 300SL. Maybe evolution since there was no break between but still certainly inspired.

i might say that part of the reason that the 50-60s era cars didn't look to the past is that cars RADICALLY changed in form from the 20s to the 50s. much more so than they have form the 60s to now. I may be wrong but that's kind of how i see the more retro inspired forms of today.

Less so the more heavy handed american designs though. and I am truly sad to say that as I LOVE american cars. but the Camaro/Challenger/Mustang pony car ilk just sucks out loud.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maclaren looks like the generic rough idea you get when you think of any "supercar". Quite a boring look.

Mercedes isnt working for me. Looks offff. Doesnt have the elegance or the flow of the original, nor is it an amazing modern design either.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
The SLS looks like a Viper. It's an OK design, but looks like it was designed by a committee with everyone responsible for a different part. It doesn't flow very well. The grill and the headlights are too far apart, the rear pillar is too heavy, the side vent is too big, the rear end looks like an S-class.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really, really like that new MB.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The SLS is way way better than that terrible McLaren, though not to say the SLS is without flaw. I think it could do with a much better looking back end. Mostly the curvyness of the rear doesnt feel like it flows with the more square front.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
You forget Acura

The clear/multicolor thing plus the oddly aggressive angle reminds me more of the SC 430 though. Also, not really a compliment.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys seem to judge a car by some random personal "how it looks" criteria. I will wait until the cars have been released and driven and judge then. If the McLaren does not beat the Merc by a mile I will eat my proverbial hat.

As lookers neither car cars are in the same league as the Iso Grifo, Maserati Mistral and AC 428 Frua and Dino, for me car design has gone backwards over the last 40 years. At least form to some extent follows function for the McLaren which cannot be said for the Merc.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
You guys seem to judge a car by some random personal "how it looks" criteria. I will wait until the cars have been released and driven and judge then. If the McLaren does not beat the Merc by a mile I will eat my proverbial hat.

facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads