• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member - My first tailored suit

Fogsgaard

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at SF but I’ve been following the forum as a guest for a month or so reading through and searching. I really like the forum and it's perfect as I'm graduating my M.Sc International Business this summer and need to upgrade my wardrobe. I'm 25 years old and I am going to apply for positions in large international business and strategy consultancies (just to give you an idea of the purpose for my purchase).

I'm going to Hong Kong in a month and want to buy some new business suits for job interviews and work. I've decided to go with Jantzen since the price range fits my budget and people seem to have good experiences with them. I've spent quite some time trying to figure out what I want in a suit and below is my checklist for the jacket. I would like some general feedback to hear if it can be used for the abovementioned purpose and where question marks are present, I’d like some advice on what to go for. Moreover, if i miss certain points for the suit I’d like the additional feedback.

As to my taste, I tend to like clothes that follows the figure, hence the Italian style (if i've gotten this wrong please correct me). One of the more noteworthy aspects of my list is the peak lapel with 2 buttons and 2 vents. I'm not sure if I should play it safe with notch lapels. Concerning colors it's just going to be Navy, Charcoal, and pin striped versions so nothing fancy here. I'm going for around 3.500HKD per suit but not sure which fabric I can get and what is good. I read somewhere that VBC might have good quality/price ratio.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Best Regards

Build
\t
- Height:\t 5’ 9”
\t- Weight:\t 150 pounds\t
\t- Shape:\t normal with fairly V-shaped upper body
\t- Proportions:\tLegs probably about an inch short proportionally
- Measurements: 46 European size (not sure if i'm a regular)​

Jacket
- Basics\t
\t- Style:\t Italian
\t- Breast:\t single
\t- Length:\t regular/slightly short
\t- Gorge height:\tslightly high
- Button stance:\tnormal
\t- Armholes:\ttight/slightly raised
\t- Waist:\t fairly suppressed
\t- Chest style:\t??
- Draping: ??
- Canvassing: Full​
- Lapel
\t
- Width: \t normal
\t- Buttonhole:\tfunctional
\t- Style:\t peak​
- Vents
\t
- Quantity:\t2
\t- Height:\t ??
\t- Position:\t??​
- Breast pocket
\t
- Height: \t normal
\t- Width: \t normal
\t- Style: \t straight​
- Shoulders
\t
- Padding: \tnormal
\t- Roped:\t no​
- Sleeves
\t
- Taper: \t ??
\t- Button holes:\tfunctional
\t- Button quantity:\tfour
\t- Button style:\talmost touching​
- Pockets
\t
- Type: \t jetted/flapped
\t- Style:\t straight
\t- Ticket:\t none
\t- Inside:\t ??​
- Lining
\t
- Color:\t
\t- Sleeve color:​

* Note: For those of you who read the AAAC forum as well, sorry if you happen to run into the post there as well
smile.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're doing business/strategy consulting in the US, I would forego the peak lapel in favor of the notch. As for the rest of the details, they sound fine. Frankly, you want to order suits over a period of time because you will learn things about fit and styling that can only be learned through experience. If, however, you must commission a bunch of suits at once, doing it at Jantzen's price point is probably a good idea.

Fogsgaard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
If you're doing business/strategy consulting in the US, I would forego the peak lapel in favor of the notch. As for the rest of the details, they sound fine. Frankly, you want to order suits over a period of time because you will learn things about fit and styling that can only be learned through experience. If, however, you must commission a bunch of suits at once, doing it at Jantzen's price point is probably a good idea.
Thank you dah328,

I'm going to work in Europe to begin with but travelling is most likely going to be part of the work so going to the US is not at all unlikely to happen.

Actually, although being somewhat small in size I could go for otr since my body proportions are quite standard. However, I like the fact that you can get the different details personalized.

I really would like to bring back several suits but it may be an idea try out with a couple of test suits first. Perhaps then even go to WWChan for the first suit.

I've been looking through the different fall collections of different designer brands and they all seem to have a big share of peak lapels. Is it just a short live fashion thing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads