• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF SEP 14, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

MFStrange

Reaction score
not sure if this belongs need some fashion tips. Im a bit dated in what i wear and am pretty stubborn. I came across some new sneakers and it got me thinking about clothing to match. Picked up jordans Spizikes in white and flight origins 2 in white. Now i dont need a lesson in getting dressed. But do hats and shirts/tops need to match the sneakers?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not sure if this belongs need some fashion tips. Im a bit dated in what i wear and am pretty stubborn. I came across some new sneakers and it got me thinking about clothing to match. Picked up jordans Spizikes in white and flight origins 2 in white. Now i dont need a lesson in getting dressed. But do hats and shirts/tops need to match the sneakers?

Welcome to the forum, MFS. You got white shoes so you can wear pretty much anything with those.

Yesimivan

Reaction score
Not exactly a new member (I've lurked for a while), but still definitely a newbie.

As I'm moving to Budapest in a month (from the SE US), I'm contemplating buying a new pair of boots. I currently have a pair of cheap, rubber-sole medium brown lined boots I bought when I was studying in Germany last year. Additionally, I've purchased a black leather ma-1 from Falcon garments that should arrive in the next week or so. The boots I'm looking at are Allen Edmonds Long Branch or Daltons (with the dainite sole).

My question is this: at this pricepoint (250-400$), should I opt for the boots in black or go for another color? Is it a "waste" to buy expensive black leather boots?

This leather jacket (and a cheap, gray Zara parka) are my only outerwear. In my mind's eye, black boots seem to "go with" both of these options rather well; however, I can only find pictures on google images of black leather jackets with various brown boot colors (and they look quite nice).

I fully realize this is a pretty subjective question. If possible, I'd just like some photo reference on both black and brown boots with black leather. I've done a little sleuthing on the forums but I must not be very good at it... not many results.

Right now I'm leaning towards either the black Long Branch's or getting some shell cordovan seconds (hopefully) when AE has their big fall sale coming up. I've heard they'll be 399$.

What do you guys think?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a black leather jacket I'd always stick with black leather boots for preference. Have you thought of waiting until you get to Budapest - Hungary has a fine shoemaking tradition - just look at Vass (might be out of the price range but their may be other Hungarian producers).

Yesimivan

Reaction score
With a black leather jacket I'd always stick with black leather boots for preference. Have you thought of waiting until you get to Budapest - Hungary has a fine shoemaking tradition - just look at Vass (might be out of the price range but their may be other Hungarian producers).
I hadn't considered that. After looking at the Vass product list... wow. Beautiful shoes. However, I wasn't able to find a price-list.

Do you know about what the price-range is? For comparison, I was/am prepared to spend 250-400 US$.

Edit: Found some prices on budapester.de. Looks like they are 2-4x the cost of the AEs. However, I'll research some more and consider buying in Hungary rather than here. Thanks MoK. :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads