• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New job requires suits

stumy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
the fabrics that will give you good wear, serge, gabardine, sharkskin. dont get talked into high number very fine lightweights.

This is good advice. It's perhaps unlikely that anyone would try to sell you an especially lightweight fabric given your price range, but to the extent you can stand it, thicker suits are going to be better work horses. They will generally wrinkle less and last longer. I'd also avoid polyester blends for the most part, but perhaps it could be passable when dealing with the customers (but not the VP). You are unlikely to find polyester most places though, so its probably not a concern.

Also, for future reference, BB has been having very good sales on their 1818 line over the last year, and will likely have one soon. I think they had fitzgeralds selling for $450 this summer, which is an almost impossible value to beat, imo. Those suits will last.

Good luck!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read this thread but you're a lucky bastige for needing to wear a suit to work. Having said that, your aim should be getting $2K+ suits for pennies. Get a measuring tape and Do et!

Being 100% honest here: I love style, and expensive things but there's always a cheaper [legal] way to get the same things the suckers spend top dollar on. They spend on the experience. You spend for the item

They pay for someone to pour their drink. You pay for the drink & have the missus wash the glass. Nahmeen?

ArMiXiA

Reaction score
I second the 1818 Fitzgerald. They are really nice suits for the money when they are on sale.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I didn't read this thread but you're a lucky bastige for needing to wear a suit to work. Having said that, your aim should be getting $2K+ suits for pennies. Get a measuring tape and Do et!

Being 100% honest here: I love style, and expensive things but there's always a cheaper [legal] way to get the same things the suckers spend top dollar on. They spend on the experience. You spend for the item

They pay for someone to pour their drink. You pay for the drink & have the missus wash the glass. Nahmeen?

I really agree with this. I know you said you preferred not to buy pre-owned clothes, but if you can get a tailor to give you all your measurements you could probably pick up a far nicer suit than you would find in your price range (even at discount stores and during sales) in our buying & selling forum. Even check Ask Andy, or ebay if the seller has a high enough rating.

heli0x

Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Nordstrom Rack, across from the state street filenes? The selection for size 42 is gonna be pretty decent, and from what I remember none of the suits are really slim cut, so you should be able at least a couple you can pick from. As far as prices, I wanna say everything is between 50-75% off.
But as far as value and whats good investment, I gotta agree with the BB 1818 in 42S (R is traditionally for 5'8 to 11), got mine earlier this year for about 500 (30% friends and family sale, 15% card opening, and could have been less than 450 with a corporate account).

pitboss12

Reaction score
I gotta agree with the Brooks Bros. suggestions. I'll add that you need to make sure that you get it tailored properly. You can screw up a nice suit with bad tailoring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads