• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New George Cleverley range

ABALO

Reaction score

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've a lot of time for Cleverley, by far the best shoe shop in London regardless of the shoes on offer.

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
I've a lot of time for Cleverley, by far the best shoe shop in London regardless of the shoes on offer.
The second best shoe shop as far as I'm concerned. I was in John Lobb on St James's Street yesterday and the guys there are very helpful indeed. The shop itself throws you back a few hundred years.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
The second best shoe shop as far as I'm concerned. I was in John Lobb on St James's Street yesterday and the guys there are very helpful indeed. The shop itself throws you back a few hundred years.

St James?Great shop and a bit of a museum...

Great shoes? Not really. Their shoes are ok no more...

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Interesting Leather Soul had them made up (I presume) with the classic round toe versus the strong chisel that is Cleverley's "house style" of sorts.

Very wise.

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
St James?Great shop and a bit of a museum...

Great shoes? Not really. Their shoes are ok no more...

I find them terrific. Cost and styling aside (which is largely subjective, of course), I like them a lot.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
I find them terrific. Cost and styling aside (which is largely subjective, of course), I like them a lot.

The styling is very retro...Retro can be charming and attractive or just retro...
St James is definitively the latter.

It is a lovely shop and the price is just a little bit inflated...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Foster's "special last" is just the 88 last. It is not unique to Foster. It it just not used by EG on their current stuff. EG made stuff on it in the past.

That's wrong. The leather is not any different that standard EG RTW. The leather on my Foster is the same as EGs.

I'm not saying EG uses the best leather available, but it is incorrect to say that Foster's offerings use inferior leather than EG.

revive some random old thread, pass by Foster and Son today, the bottom looks exactly like EG, not sure which last they're not, but look very EG ish. So does anyone know if Foster and Son go on sale, plan to pick up some EG on cheap here
laugh.gif

labravajazz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon5986
I think for the price point the standard RTW makes for a good purchase. I have both C&J and Cleverley and there is a difference (both in the last and quality of construction). Others in this forum have agreed in previous discussions about this topic, that have both shoes.

I think the AC line is alot better than their standard range, but then one does get what you pay for.

There are those who say the Cleverley RTW are just CJ shoes and even based on standard CJ handgrade lasts, but I have a pair of RTW and I find the leather is very different from other CJ HG that I have, and they are superbly light and comfortable as well. I like them more than most of my EG or JL actually. I thought these were like the 358 last but seem more chiselled looking. Photo shows a Stanley handgrade 358 last alongside Cleverley RTW. Any comments re the last from the experts? I am not an expert by any means but the difference is easy enough to see?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by labravajazz
There are those who say the Cleverley RTW are just CJ shoes and even based on standard CJ handgrade lasts, but I have a pair of RTW and I find the leather is very different from other CJ HG that I have, and they are superbly light and comfortable as well. I like them more than most of my EG or JL actually. I thought these were like the 358 last but seem more chiselled looking. Photo shows a Stanley handgrade 358 last alongside Cleverley RTW. Any comments re the last from the experts? I am not an expert by any means but the difference is easy enough to see?

I don't think you can tell much from your photos, but that Cleverly just looks like a 358 or 348 to me. I can't comment on the leather quality obviously, but the photos don't help much.

labravajazz

Reaction score
Sorry my photos suck! When you click on them they do enlarge though. Anyway it seems to me the Cleverley are more chiselled and seem narrower and finer at the toes than the other ones which are definitely 358 in same size. They both fit the same.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by labravajazz
Sorry my photos suck! When you click on them they do enlarge though. Anyway it seems to me the Cleverley are more chiselled and seem narrower and finer at the toes than the other ones which are definitely 358 in same size. They both fit the same.

that could just be the design though. I have three pairs of C&J shoes on the 348 last in the same size and they all look slightly different and fit slightly different. I should also note that my chelseas on the 348 with gussets look much more narrower and finer at the toe so it could be just the physicality of that kind of toe and vamp being stretched over the last.

labravajazz

Reaction score
OK Thanks for those thoughts. I have 3 other pairs of CJ for Kilgour on 358 last and all seem the same shape whereas the Cleverley are quite a bit more slender at the toe. The leather is quite different though being more fine and supple and I guess lighter weight than the CJ HG - maybe that accounts for some of the difference in the toe. As you might see also the soles have a more EG kind of look - even though its just cosmetic.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the 'George' Loafer?
How close is it to the C&J Marston?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads