1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New George Cleverley range

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yfyf, Apr 6, 2010.

1. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

after this statement and with the week pound...

George Cleverley has several workrooms based in London, Kent, Cornwall & Northampton (all in England) where they make their RTW shoes. The demand/orders for their shoes cannot be made in just one workroom. It is true that they have a workroom at C&J, BUT, they are made COMPLETELY different and to a much high specification. They are made using Cleverley's craftsman, Cleverley's designs, Cleverley's selection of leathers, and most importantly, Cleverley's lasts. Cleverley's head pattern cutter, Mr. Dominic Casey, spends 3 days in their London workroom and 2 days in their workshop at C&J overseeing all production.

I hope this clears up any confusion about the topic of Cleverley RTW and Crockett and Jones.

Aloha,

Tom

...this is a very competitive offer.

imo, the last is less "curvy" than the 82 and the round toe(second from the bottom) reminds me strongly of the paprika.

1 person likes this.
  3. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

Those ones are not too bad but there are some pretty awful looking new designs on their website

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Interesting Leather Soul had them made up (I presume) with the classic round toe versus the strong chisel that is Cleverley's "house style" of sorts.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Interesting Leather Soul had them made up (I presume) with the classic round toe versus the strong chisel that is Cleverley's "house style" of sorts.

I don't think they've been made up especially for Leather Soul - looking at Cleverley's web site it seems they're available like that from their Bond St store.

6. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

I actually really like their new AC styles. The elastic shoe Leather Soul has (I think it's a dark brown) is very nice.

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I was quite disappointed by their RTW models when I was in London.

The same with Foster..

The John Lobb or EG look so much better.

8. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

The same with Foster..

Foster's RTW are EG or a lesser make depending on the model. And Cleverley's lower end RTW shoes are not particularly special. But the Anthony Cleverleys are very nice.

9. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

The same with Foster..

This doesn't make sense. As stated above, Foster are made by EG.

[​IMG]

10. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

The Managing Director of Fosters has a close relationship with Hillary Freeman of Edward Green. Thus Fosters opted to launch a new line of RTW/MTO shoes. They are made on lasts not available to other EG clients. I saw them in person over a year ago. They were made up to the same quality as other EG shoes that I have purchased and held

I do not know how successful Fosters RTW/MTO program has gone. But I really like their various standard bespoke designs. Unfortunately, they were unwilling to replicate these bespoke designs, using any EG lasts, to be made at EG's factory for Fosters via their RTW/MTO program.

11. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

the GC range look no better than a bench grade or hand grade C&J IMO but i guess it is a good entry level product, but i think i'd still prefer bench grade C&J over these

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

the GC range look no better than a bench grade or hand grade C&J IMO but i guess it is a good entry level product, but i think i'd still prefer bench grade C&J over these
    he

luk-cha,

are you talking quality(construction, leather...) or are with with the guys on the "design"?

if GC is on par with EG, it would be a no-brainer for me. imo, there's still AC for the "avantgarde".

13. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

he

luk-cha,

are you talking quality(construction, leather...) or are with with the guys on the "design"?

if GC is on par with EG, it would be a no-brainer for me. imo, there's still AC for the "avantgarde".

well just from how they look, i can not see them being better than HG C&J perhaps inbetween BG and HG but i dont think they will be even close to EG, and designwise, i have never been a fan of any of cleverleys designs

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well just from how they look, i can not see them being better than HG C&J perhaps inbetween BG and HG but i dont think they will be even close to EG, and designwise, i have never been a fan of any of cleverleys designs

i even forgot or never realized that, no worries.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

This doesn't make sense. As stated above, Foster are made by EG.

[​IMG]

They're not the same models using the same lasts...

They do not look the same .

The presentation in the shop is very poor.

I did find them quite disappointing aesthetically speaking

16. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

They're not the same models using the same lasts...

They do not look the same .

The presentation in the shop is very poor.

I did find them quite disappointing aesthetically speaking

Is that a picture of a Foster's shoe? The leather on that particular one is rather poor quality - very disappointing.

17. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Is that a picture of a Foster's shoe? The leather on that particular one is rather poor quality - very disappointing.

to my eye it looks terrific, otherwise it wouldn't have built up the nice patina, not?

18. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

to my eye it looks terrific, otherwise it wouldn't have built up the nice patina, not?

I do not think it is a shoe that is that old - could be new.

The leather is course, the grain is fibrous and thus it is creasing in an ugly way - just as cheap shoes do.

I stand by my view that the leather on that shoe is nowhere near the quality it ought to be for the price.

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I don't think they've been made up especially for Leather Soul - looking at Cleverley's web site it seems they're available like that from their Bond St store.

Perhaps I should have expressed it, that they chose to use those with the rounded toe, which is of course an option on their shoes.

I find their RTW on par with other Brit shoes in the same price range. I'd say the semi-bespoke and AC range shine and are as good as others in that range... qualitatively. We can all argue design until the cows come home.

20. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Foster's "special last" is just the 88 last. It is not unique to Foster. It it just not used by EG on their current stuff. EG made stuff on it in the past.
    I do not think it is a shoe that is that old - could be new. The leather is course, the grain is fibrous and thus it is creasing in an ugly way - just as cheap shoes do. I stand by my view that the leather on that shoe is nowhere near the quality it ought to be for the price.
    That's wrong. The leather is not any different that standard EG RTW. The leather on my Foster is the same as EGs. I'm not saying EG uses the best leather available, but it is incorrect to say that Foster's offerings use inferior leather than EG.