• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New car and body kits

TimelessRider

Reaction score
How about a used 1998/2001 VW Passat 1.8t or its sister car, the Audi A4? Both look great and have a wide variety of aesthetic and performance modifications available. It'll never be a true speed demon but you could put some ricers to shame.

Brian SD

Reaction score
How about a used 1998/2001 VW Passat 1.8t or its sister car, the Audi A4? Both look great and have a wide variety of aesthetic and performance modifications available. It'll never be a true speed demon but you could put some ricers to shame.
I highly recommend the Audi over the VW, because of reliability issues with the Passat. And don't go thinking that you can't tune up an A4, because you totally can, and Audis can turn into some of the most untouchably gorgeous street cars. I would personally have to recommend the BMW M3, because it is hands down my favorite car that you can get for under $20k (used of course), and has mercurial class.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd second Brian's suggestion of the Audi A4 and BMW 3-series (1995-1999, for your cost limit).  I've owned both -- great cars, fun and classy.  However, if you're looking to modify with one of those body kits, which I personally detest due to extreme tackiness/cheapness of many of them other than perhaps AC Schnitzer's or Dinan's, then your best bet is probably Japanese as I think that's were most of the tuner/body kit, etc. aftermarket suppliers focus.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
if you want the hot rod look, how about a used vw gti? or you could get a golf, lower it, change the turn signal covers, get a racing exhaust, etc...
I agree with matadorpoeta. I own a 2003 VW GTI (Anniversary Edition), and while it retails for a few thousand more than your price range, I would recommend it for consideration. The 2004 GLI might also be worth a look if a sedan is more appropriate. Keep an eye on the price drops, incentives, or deals over the next few months as the 5th generation Golf/Jetta begins to arrive at dealerships. I've found my VW to be both easy to maintain and upgrade myself, and the array of aftermarket products is stunning. I've done a 6 disc CD changer, Euro spec light switch, smoked side markers and indicators, K&N air filter, rear fog light, blue LED interior lighting (doors, vanity mirrors, map lights, rear domes, trunk), OZ Racing center caps, Enfig MotorSport antenna mast, Hella smoked tails, and Llumar 35% tint. For some idea of the variety of projects, check out VW Vortex, a great VW community website.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This (resurected post) smells distinctly of spam, and jennakortan smells like a spam purveyor.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
95% of bodykits are ricey ugly horrible ****.

There are some very subtle nice ones that are tasteful but very few - now that I think about it, it's usually **** you find on german cars - AMG, ///M, modded porsches - GT2, GT3, TT, C4S, etc...

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I agree that some VW kits are actually nice, tasteful and work well with the car. Once again - the german thing?

For some reason I used to really want a turbo passat wagon, lowered on tasteful rims and with that factory option bodykit (forgot who made it)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BoatRebuild15.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads