• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New bespoke shoe option in Northern Ireland

Nonk

Reaction score
Carrying on from my advocacy of Smyth & Gibson of Belfast shirts recently, I thought I would make the members aware of a new bespoke shoemaker, also in Northern Ireland.

http://www.robinsonsshoemakers.com/a...ns_repairs.asp

Robinsons of Carrickfergus, a long established cobbler have expanded, and taken on an Eastern European chap and now offer a full-bespoke service.

Robinsons are trying to position themselves as a centre of excellence for shoes in Northern Ireland (Carrickfergus clientele will hardly keep them going, but they could steal customers from that place on Sandy Row, Belfast that people are too frightened to go to, and Bishops in Coleraine) and have swanky new premises, full of Church’s, Barkers and Loakes, but it is the man in the back that arouses the real interest.

They are very friendly indeed and I was invited to look around, saw the man at work and the small but expanding shelf of lasts that he has made for their customers.

His work looked beautiful, although I am no expert.

He even had a small supply of cordovan of which he was very proud and which seems to be a favourite here.

I will try to visit again soon and take some pics. I did advise the very helpful owner there (Mr Robinson?) to familiarise himself with the Style Forum, AAAC etc.

Any forum members passing along the Antrim coast should call in. Nice people and very willing to chat to visitors who are passionate about shoes.

Thank God I was wearing my Edward Greens and not Converses when I visited.

Nonk

Reaction score
I am reluctant to provide figures, as I would not want to damage someone's business by misquoting, but I seem to remember around £200-300 for the last and approx £500-600 for the shoes I think.

I have invited the owner to have a look at this thread and answer any queries.

Hopefully he will post some shoe Appreciation from my home town!

rob703

Reaction score
Hello Firstly many thanks for yuor comments and taking the time to look at the website. Unfortuantly the site was set up in by-gone days and was never really updated. We have now invested in a new site and hope to add e-commerce to it in the coming months with even the possibilty of offering a fully bespoke service online. I would very much welcome any comments on our new site either postive or negative. Visit us now at www.robinsonsshoes.com With regards to price as you may have noted there is no indication as they do vary widely depending on the style of shoe. But as a basic guide we start at a one off last payment of £200, then Ladies shoes between £250-£600 and Gents starting at £500. I hope this information is of use to someone and if you have any question at all please feel free to leave a reply or send us a PM. Kind regards John Robinsons Shoemakers Carrickfergus.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rob703
Hello

Firstly many thanks for yuor comments and taking the time to look at the website. Unfortuantly the site was set up in by-gone days and was never really updated. We have now invested in a new site and hope to add e-commerce to it in the coming months with even the possibilty of offering a fully bespoke service online. I would very much welcome any comments on our new site either postive or negative. Visit us now at www.robinsonsshoes.com

With regards to price as you may have noted there is no indication as they do vary widely depending on the style of shoe. But as a basic guide we start at a one off last payment of £200, then Ladies shoes between £250-£600 and Gents starting at £500.

I hope this information is of use to someone and if you have any question at all please feel free to leave a reply or send us a PM.

Kind regards
John
Robinsons Shoemakers
Carrickfergus.

Welcome to the site!! The bespoke pictures look nice.

Do you get a lot of people singing the ballad "Carrickfergus" to you when they see your city name?

Hobbs

Reaction score
Pretty good price on Loake shoe trees, bearing in mind that they offer free worldwide delivery.

Racing Green

Reaction score

HHD

Reaction score
Are they still making bespoke? I might be in Ulster later in the year and I quite like the look of those Andrew Jackson brogues.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racing Green
.....Kudos to anyone still making shoes in Ireland....

Are these folk still funct? www.tuttyshandmadeshoes.com In the late '70s, Eire TV produced a series of half hour programs on Irish artisans titled "Hands" ( http://www.irelandstraditionalcrafts.com/hands.htp ). Tutty's was the featured bespoke bootmaker. In the '80s they had a RTW shop in Dublin's Powerscourt. (The featured tailor in the Hands series was Johnson's of Tullow > http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...n-1923942.html

Paul Stuart's (NYC) best footwear line was made by Dublin's Winstanley until the early or mid '80s. PS's Winstanley was priced about 25% above the succeeding Edward Green line.

(US President Andy Jackson's (born in NC/SC or SC/NC USA) father was from Carrickfergus. That explains the brogue's name.)

Racing Green

Reaction score
Winstanleys are long gone I'm afraid. A famous name from my childhood along with Blackthorn in Dundalk who still have a shop but I'm not sure if they're still manufacturing.

Never heard of Tuttys, will have to do some investigating.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the VAT rate in Ireland and are they refundable when shipped outside EU?

Racing Green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
What is the VAT rate in Ireland and are they refundable when shipped outside EU?

21% in the Republic and I think it's back up to 17.5% in the North. VAT is refundable from both jurisdictions as far as I'm aware.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics