• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neiman Marcus "Made in China" cashmere sweaters

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was at a NM today (not the Last Call) and tried asking around about this. No one working there knew much about the sweaters, and none had any idea about ply count or any other details. When I asked one, she replied, "oh, the ply count? Let me see... I think it's 100% cashmere."

It may sound weird but even "100%", is still a relative term. It's always a gamble when shopping for cashmere unless you're going with reputable mills like Loro, Colombo, etc. The lower the price, the more cheaper fibers are found (on microscopic level)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It may sound weird but even "100%", is still a relative term. It's always a gamble when shopping for cashmere unless you're going with reputable mills like Loro, Colombo, etc. The lower the price, the more cheaper fibers are found (on microscopic level)

definitely true. China has a kung fu grip on the cashmere market and for sure they are "diluting" the fibers in many of their products.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please Understand, coz it's pretty simple actually: Made in China == GARBAGE. There is no way you can manufacture for so much cheaper, without cutting some serious corners.

You do know the cashmere itself more than likely comes from China? ...if not China, probably India or Pakistan.

Anyway what corners are been cut? Most knitted garments are made automatically by machine, where the machines is located tends to be somewhat irrelevant.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

definitely true. China has a kung fu grip on the cashmere market and for sure they are "diluting" the fibers in many of their products.

Citation?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Citation?

in the previous post from 3 weeks ago in this thread. Of course it doesn't say explicitly "oh by the way we're watering down the product to increase our profit margins" but you're in China or Mongolia correct? I spent 3.5 years b/t HK, Taiwan, & the Mainland and never met anyone honest and knowledgeable dealing in textiles who didn't acknowledge that this happens. Disingenuous "cashmeres", polyester "wool" suiting fabric; a large proportion of suiting fabrics in HK are counterfeit Scabal, Zegna, Loro Piana, Dormeuil, etc. This I have from some of the city's best tailors and personal investigation (direct tests of fabric content and selvedge comparisons). I think a more appropriate question is "what product/s don't they **** with?"

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in the previous post from 3 weeks ago in this thread. Of course it doesn't say explicitly "oh by the way we're watering down the product to increase our profit margins" but you're in China or Mongolia correct? I spent 3.5 years b/t HK, Taiwan, & the Mainland and never met anyone honest and knowledgeable dealing in textiles who didn't acknowledge that this happens. Disingenuous "cashmeres", polyester "wool" suiting fabric; a large proportion of suiting fabrics in HK are counterfeit Scabal, Zegna, Loro Piana, Dormeuil, etc. This I have from some of the city's best tailors and personal investigation (direct tests of fabric content and selvedge comparisons). I think a more appropriate question is "what product/s don't they **** with?"

I take it you've read that book... "Poorly made in China""?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm ethnic Chinese, and grew up in HK. I try to avoid buying anything made in China if I can get away with it. And not just clothes

But of course, you expect to see "Made in Italy" and "Made in France" on your Hermes, Gucci and Versace gear.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads