• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need boots…

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of boots that have a nice design to them, i.e. they don't look like snow boots, but that have a rubber sole. I have a narrow D-width foot, and am usually size 6.5 to 7 (depending on the manufacture) Any suggestions?

Jon.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A nice custom pair of EG Shannons, perhaps?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought these. The price was right, and I'm just planning on using them as snow/rain/work boots. Not as elegant as a chisel toe, etc., but I'm hoping they fit the bill.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have been more specific (in fact I'm sure of it) I am looking for something taller than a Chukka. As well, I am nowhere in the price range of EG's, I am looking for something that can take a fair amount of rain.

Jon.

marc37

Reaction score
Do you live on the country lmagwise?? How about some welted leather sole shoes. lf you insist on rubber sole shoes, why not go Grenson, Alden or Allen Edmonds.

Don't get junk., Spend good monery on shoes that you wil;l admire for a long long time.

l son't have much experiuence experiemnce with rubber sole shoes as l haven't worn a pair in at least 20 years. Anyway, why do you want to get ugly rubber sole shoes for [if you don't live in the country]. Ridicuos/

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the Crockett & Jones Snowdon boot. It is constructed using the "veldtshoen" method, which means that the welt is completly waterproof. I use these in wet and snowy situations, and have no complaints. They look rather dressy for country boots and take a good shine.
L090S.jpg
http://www.bsaltd.com/bsa_zcrock.html

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon,
May I ask why are you in the market for tall boots? You live in one of the warmer climes in the entire US--it's hot down there, and boots will only make your feet hotter. Make sure the boys from Ask Andy don't sell you a pair of shell cordos... It's only 60 in New York today, and the my Rl Chukkas are just right for days like this...

EDIT: Good choice Kai. I was thinking about buying a pair myself, but I cant afford or stomach paying full price. I settled on a pair of black chukkas with a rubber sole from the last Paul Stuart sale.

johnw86

Reaction score
These may not be as tall as what you're looking for, but I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds "Stuart" lace-ups last week on e-bay. Rubber sole, extremely comfortable.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the Crockett & Jones Snowdon boot. Â It is constructed using the "veldtshoen" method, which means that the welt is completly waterproof. I use these in wet and snowy situations, and have no complaints. Â They look rather dressy for country boots and take a good shine. Â
L090S.jpg
This are very nice boots, contrary to what marc believes. They are a good country boot that can be worn in the city, and casually. In truly inclement conditions, wearing leather soled shoes is pretty much asking for a sprained ankle, broken leg, or broken hip, depending on how much you've offended heaven. If you are wearing those atrocities in the b8man's sig in Kingston, Ontario, in the dead of winter, I wouldn't be surprised if you broke all four limbs and a few ribs on the way down.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jon,
May I ask why are you in the market for tall boots? You live in one of the warmer climes in the entire US--it's hot down there, and boots will only make your feet hotter. Make sure the boys from Ask Andy don't sell you a pair of shell cordos... It's only 60 in New York today, and the my Rl Chukkas are just right for days like this...

EDIT: Good choice Kai. I was thinking about buying a pair myself, but I cant afford or stomach paying full price. I settled on a pair of black chukkas with a rubber sole from the last Paul Stuart sale.
Glad someone noticed.

The reason I need boots is that I am going to Argentina for 3 weeks at the end of June and its winter down there now. It's normally ranges from 0 to 10 degrees Celsius, and as well it can rain, and when it does, many times streets get flooded, thus a good air of boots might be a necessity.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Kai @ May 25 2005,09:13) I would highly recommend the Crockett & Jones Snowdon boot. It is constructed using the "veldtshoen" method, which means that the welt is completly waterproof. I use these in wet and snowy situations, and have no complaints. They look rather dressy for country boots and take a good shine.
L090S.jpg
This are very nice boots, contrary to what marc believes. They are a good country boot that can be worn in the city, and casually. In truly inclement conditions, wearing leather soled shoes is pretty much asking for a sprained ankle, broken leg, or broken hip, depending on how much you've offended heaven. If you are wearing those atrocities in the b8man's sig in Kingston, Ontario, in the dead of winter, I wouldn't be surprised if you broke all four limbs and a few ribs on the way down.
I agree with LA Guy I can recall when I used to get up in the morning in Toronto (North York) and head out onto the snow, and if I did not have thick rubber-soled winter boots, I was sure to slip on some ice and break part of my posterior. Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads