• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Park visits

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yellowstone National Park.

There are over a thousand miles of trails to hike if you want to get away from the crowd. You can fly fish the Yellowstone river. There are things in that park that you will not see anywhere else in the world. If you want to miss the crowd go in September. The park is literally empty. I've been in the Badlands, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, GNP and a couple other parks as well.

Nothing and I mean nothing compares to Yellowstone and the surrounding area.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Looks amazing, lawyerdad. I'd love to go there next Winter.

Fall and winter are nice times to go. Not crowded, manageable temperatures, etc. Spring's beautiful when the desert wildflowers are out, but you get a few more day-tripper and park-and-click tourists. Summer's insanely hot (although the park encompasses everything from what I believe is the lowest landpoint in the western hemisphere to some pretty high peaks, so you have a variety of micro-climates). Feel free to message if you need specific suggestions, etc.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Fall and winter are nice times to go. Not crowded, manageable temperatures, etc. Spring's beautiful when the desert wildflowers are out, but you get a few more day-tripper and park-and-click tourists. Summer's insanely hot (although the park encompasses everything from what I believe is the lowest landpoint in the western hemisphere to some pretty high peaks, so you have a variety of micro-climates). Feel free to message if you need specific suggestions, etc.
Thanks. I'll be sure to get back to you later on this year. I was at Big Bend in late February of this year. Unfortunately none of the cacti were in bloom yet, which they usually are at that time of year--or so said other campers that had been coming to the park for over 30 years. It was an extremely dry year for them: no rain since last July. Unfortunate for me; I hear the desert in springtime bloom is unlike anything else.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I have developed an interest in visiting the national parks as a short and sweet way to recharge the batteries. The last national park I visited was Canyonlands/Arches in 2002. From my research, the must-sees are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Bryce/Zion, and Yosemite. Anyone been to these? Any other suggestions?

Glacier MT

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Glacier MT

Best time of year / best place to stay please?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish more people knew how great National Parks are to visit. They are so inexpensive, and so naturally beautiful. Why the hell do so many people go to Disneyland instead?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Glacier MT

Excellent suggestion. One tip would be to get off the roads and onto the trails as soon as one can. An hour off the Going To The Sun highway and you'd think you are somewhere no one has ever been before.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I only hiked Glacier once, and it was the week of the fourth of July, so it was pretty crowded (not AT crowded, but still, a couple of other people at almost every campsite we had. Still, saw some bears and great scenery. Helen Lake was just amazing. I know there are nicer vistas, but something about the location, the finality of it, really impacted me.

Anyway, some pics:

glacier015-1.jpg

CopyofP7030464.jpg

CopyofP7030475.jpg

For the Cannucks out there:

AmericasHatD1.jpg

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the USA has to be one of the most geographically diverse and beautiful countries in the world

you lucky bastards
smile.gif

Stewie

Reaction score
Well, since my wife gets all up and excited going to national parks, I have been to quite a few in the continental US. (She says we have 20 more to go) Our favorites are Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, Zion/Bryce, Great Smoky Mountains, and now that she sees what Im writing..she wants to add all the rest! Anyways, I think a lot of it has to do with what time of year, how long you have, etc. Buy yourself the annual pass so it gives you the opportunity to go to several different parks throughout the year. And staying at any grand hotel of a NP is absolutely fantastic, so I would recommend that as well.

D.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent many summers in these parks. With both of my parent's professions being in education, our family had 3 months to vacation every summer, and a few weeks every winter. So we took 2+ vacations most years since I was 5 until I was almost 20. And with my parents being teachers, we were on a budget. We would load up our minivan and drive straight through to wherever we were going. Never a hotel, campsites only. I didn't get on a plane until I was 13. Been to pretty much every major park in the continental US except for the ones in Washington and the far north east. Most of them several times.

Sequoia does not get enough love imo

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Yellowstone National Park.
... If you want to miss the crowd go in September. The park is literally empty.

Oh gosh
laugh.gif
I went in late September a few years back and it was pretty crowded on the roads. Didn't have a campground reservation and every campground in West Yellowstone was full. If that was comparatively empty then I'd hate to be there in mid-July.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads