Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Butler

Butler Senior member

How many buttons should the vest show, with the jacket buttoned (2nd button) in a 3-piece? For that matter, how much of the vest should be seen, above the jackets 'V' opening?

How high should the vest be, relative to say the man's neck/chest/collarbone etc? The vest is supposed to be fitted across the body, is all I know (number of buttons, back fabric type being preference).

Some threads here mention one button, but I've always thought it looked better with the vest 'showing' more (as is the case here), with a higher vest buttoning point.

There are no rules, it is a question of personal preference of high high you like your waistcoat cut.

I like mine on the high side, which one used to do, nowadays "fashion" tends to favour a lower cut!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Can't believe I missed this thread. OP has some srsly awesome suits, and more importantly, shared the experiences. Makes me sad I missed Mina when she came to SF.

3. Stylistix

Stylistix Active Member

There are no rules, it is a question of personal preference of high high you like your waistcoat cut.

I like mine on the high side, which one used to do, nowadays "fashion" tends to favour a lower cut!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So there are no rules as to how many buttons should be showing above the jacket opening as well?

Im surprised this hasn't been debated - how much the vest shows above the opening very much affects the overall look.

Personally, I like the higher cut, and think it makes the NSM suit look that much better.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't be sad...she returns in April with my jacket for the first fitting [​IMG]

You should meet her the next time she is in town.

Can't believe I missed this thread. OP has some srsly awesome suits, and more importantly, shared the experiences. Makes me sad I missed Mina when she came to SF.

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Don't be sad...she returns in April with my jacket for the first fitting [​IMG]

You should meet her the next time she is in town.

I thought she was visiting SF in March, and NYC / Boston in April.

6. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I thought she was visiting SF in March, and NYC / Boston in April.

Tentative dates for SF April 8-9, NYC/Boston May 4-11.

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Their pricing is for CMT--- what is the easiest way to put non-Italian cloth into the mix? Do they need to have you hand them the actual stuff, or do they have connections at Lesser's, Smiths, W. Bill, et al. who can send them the length of cloth once given the number?

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, I have it on the calendar.

9. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Their pricing is for CMT--- what is the easiest way to put non-Italian cloth into the mix? Do they need to have you hand them the actual stuff, or do they have connections at Lesser's, Smiths, W. Bill, et al. who can send them the length of cloth once given the number?

Good question. I'm curious to know as well.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Good question. I'm curious to know as well.

If she had access to the fabric from those mills, she would just carry their books with her.

You have to bring your own English cloth although she is working on getting Fox and some other mill, but they are not too keen on working with her as they have been stiffed by some Neapolitan tailors. Also, she has an a Italian book that has some english cloths in it. For solid colored stuff, not sure why anyone would skip Dormeuil for the mills mentioned. If you are looking for a very specific pattern, that is a different story.

11. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Thanks for posting. I will definitely be making an appointment for their visit to my city of bostonia.

12. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

If she had access to the fabric from those mills, she would just carry their books with her.

You have to bring your own English cloth although she is working on getting Fox and some other mill, but they are not too keen on working with her as they have been stiffed by some Neapolitan tailors. Also, she has an a Italian book that has some english cloths in it. For solid colored stuff, not sure why anyone would skip Dormeuil for the mills mentioned. If you are looking for a very specific pattern, that is a different story.

That makes sense. Thanks.

13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Thanks

14. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

For solid colored stuff, not sure why anyone would skip Dormeuil for the mills mentioned.

Because they do really, really good work?

15. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

FWIW, I just ordered some Minnis and am having it shipped directly to Naples. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no complications...