my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Because they do really, really good work?

So does Dormeuil, at least as good in most cases. Have you had anything made in Dormeuil or seen it up close? Anyway, just bring whatever fabric you want and she'll happily work with it.

BTW, (and this is not a comment directed at concordia or greekonomist), when you order something from Mina, her policy is that you pay 50% at time of order, and 50% upon delivery of finished goods. Pretty much the same as most tailors. She is too nice to say this to anyone but she cannot and should not do business with people who want to come in for the first time, place an order, and not pay anything. Just because she extended a courtesy to a customer that happened to post here that he did not pay anything until final delivery does not mean that you can demand that she extend the same courtesy to you. You can't expect her to order fabric for you, get the people working on your items and she won't see any money for 6 months. She has to pay people. Don't ruin it for everyone else, you order, you pay. Just because Solito or whoever decided to stay away from the States for a year does not mean that she needs to be painted with the same brush. If you don't want to risk your money, stay with a local tailor.

2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

FWIW, I just ordered some Minnis and am having it shipped directly to Naples. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no complications...

what fabric did you get?

3. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

Here are some detail shots of my brushed cotton trousers. Up until now, I've been so focused on nailing down fit that (ironically) I hadn't paid too much attention to construction and handwork. Am really liking these pants. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nice pants but that is a ridiculous number of buttons.

4. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Hi,

Which Dormeuil book(s) does she typically bring? Amadeus?

Thanks in advance.

5. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Nice pants but that is a ridiculous number of buttons.

Four is ridiculous? Add the button fly and we'll talk [​IMG]

6. edmorel

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

she mixes it up, Amadeus, Scottie Derby, some seasonal ones. Also Holland and Sherry 9viceroy flannel among others), Loro Piana and an "italian" book where you'll find Loro Piana, Smiths, Drapers

7. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

what fabric did you get?

A dark grey with blue pin from the Crown Classic book. This is my first Minnis, so am stoked even though this isn't an unusual pattern.

[​IMG]

Hi,

In addition to what Ed mentions, she has a ginormous Dormeuil mohair book and H&S Target, Conquest, Legend Flannel. A few books by Scabal, but I can't recall which ones.

8. edmorel

In addition to what Ed mentions, she has a ginormous Dormeuil mohair book and H&S Target, Conquest, Legend Flannel. A few books by Scabal, but I can't recall which ones.

I will be in the minority here, I know Minnis is great quality, but the finishing on the fabric leaves a lot to be desired, for my tastes. Can't se myself ordering another suit from them, and barely wear the two that I have, the italians and the italianate English (Dormeuil/H&S/Scabal) do a better job on the fabrics, from a style/finish perspective, for my tastes/in my opinion etc etc.

9. TurboBruce

TurboBruce Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what's the use of this gap?

[​IMG]

10. ajv

ajv Senior member

Can anyone tell me what's the use of this gap?

[​IMG]

that's a button hole, i've mostly seen it done by italian tailors. Mine used to say, "that's the secret button only the woman that knows you will unbutton..."

Adrian

11. TurboBruce

TurboBruce Well-Known Member

^ Great, thanks for the info!

12. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I will be in the minority here, I know Minnis is great quality, but the finishing on the fabric leaves a lot to be desired, for my tastes. Can't se myself ordering another suit from them, and barely wear the two that I have, the italians and the italianate English (Dormeuil/H&S/Scabal) do a better job on the fabrics, from a style/finish perspective, for my tastes/in my opinion etc etc.

Just different tastes I guess. I love the dry, subdued finish of the Minnis fabrics. I spent a good half-hour combing through Mina's collection of Dormeuil fabrics and honestly found only one or two that I liked. Most were far too glitzy and modern for my tastes.

medtech: looks like a nice pick. Will you get a DB with that?

13. Napoli Su Misura

Napoli Su Misura Active Member

Someone asked me to review the jackets of Mr. Parker.
    Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Napoli Su Misura

Napoli Su Misura Active Member

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very nice! I love the shoulder and patch pocket look. I'm already thinking about getting something for fall. Maybe a navy shepherd check?