• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New OneShoe, by Alfred Sargent

emptym

Reaction score
(I posted this in MC, but I know a bunch of people don't cross over, and I think this shoe fits both worlds well.)

They arrived a few days ago, and I love them. Perhaps too much. Like our friend Mafoo, I seek simplicity. And if I could only have one shoe, OK one pair (RJ), these would be the Ones. Why?

First, because they're versatile: They go well with anything from jeans to suits, perhaps even a tux
(certainly better than burgundy shell longwings
devil.gif
).

Second, because they're practical: As slip ons, they're easy on/off. Perfect for when you're late at the beginning of the day or tired at its end, which I usually am. With their Dainite soles, they're perfect for grip and stability on wet surfaces, uneven pavement, bicycle/motorcycle commutes, or mad dashes to the train (Huntsman?). The little round lugs give me just enough grip for when my nephew starts a spontaneous game of football on the grass or when I decide to walk up an unpaved hill. I'm sure they'll be my first choice for travel: gliding through security, easy off at takeoff, easy on when landing, coping w/ unpredictable weather, trekking across different types of ground w/ luggage, etc.

Third, because they're beautiful: I have and like full brogues, half-brogues, various shades of brown and burgundy, suede and shell. But there's something elegant about a plain pair of black calfskin slip ons.

So much for the design. Why this manufacturer? A few years ago, on eBay, I bought a pair of black suede slip ons made by Alfred Sargent. They were NOS from a defunct NYC shoe store. Solidly constructed and fit like a dream. So comfortable. They've been my favorite shoes for the past few years, even compared to Alden oxfords, Rider Boots, EGs for RL, C&Js, pre-Prada Churches, vintage Florsheims, Gucci loafers, and similar slip ons by Nettleton, Sanders, and Bally.

So when I heard that Alfred Sargent had a new MTO program, I decided to order my dream shoe:
imgp3690.jpg

Below, w/ similar pairs:
imgp3694.jpg

From l to r: vintage Nettletons, the Alfred Sargents, Sanders, and the older, suede Sargents.
I won't be needing the Sanders (corrected grain, blobby, pigskin lining, plastic heel), so I'll give them to my brother. The Nettletons I'll keep out of respect for their history and probably to use w/ formal wear. They have nice channeled leather soles. And I've grown to love the cracking.

Here w/ white 501s:
imgp3716.jpg

Now dressed up (pants by Cornell's in Manila, socks by Uniqlo):
imgp3709.jpg

The shoes in natural light after a day's wear:
imgp37182.jpg

A shot from below, showing the mini lugs of the always controversial Dainite sole:
imgp3675.jpg

They're on AS's 99 last, size 9 EX (UK). Just for comparison, here they are next to Nettletons (10.5 C US), Aldens on the Hampton last (10 B/D US) and Sanders (9 FX UK).
imgp3683i.jpg

Now, lest one think I only like black, I've ordered a pair of brown balmoral boots from AS. Hopefully they'll arrive in time for Christmas!

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest with you, they remind me of the slippers my grandpa wears crossed with KCs.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
they remind me of some Ferragamo loafers i once had and never wore after I realized full slip-ons are stupid.

emptym

Reaction score
laugh.gif
I agree with you both in a way. There are a lot of bad slip ons out there. But as usual and imo, it's the subtle differences that count. When I was a kid, we used to get in fights about Vans which were better: lace ups or slip ons. I sided w/ the lace ups. Now I like both. I think my main reason then for not liking slip ons was that they often flew off during kickball...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Not a fan of those but I've always wanted a dope pair of hard heeled loafers, especially with some tassles, now that's mafuggin pimp.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the dainite sole. really dont understand the advantages of a leather sole

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like Alfred Sargent shoes though, for the record

emptym

Reaction score
^It's worth a fair amount. I always enjoy your fits. Too bad we didn't get to meet when I spent a few days at MJK's last year.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Michael invites people to his crib? ****. You are all invited to visit the Temple of Jawnz around Christmas and I will wear Alfrd Sargent shoes with some MJK stuff.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
i like the dainite sole. really dont understand the advantages of a leather sole
There aren't any. empty, out of curiosity, how much did these end up costing?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Not a fan of those but I've always wanted a dope pair of hard heeled loafers, especially with some tassles, now that's mafuggin pimp.
Do it. And show us.
Originally Posted by ppllzz
I a big fan of Dainite. The sleek looks of leather but the performance of a sneaker. Resolable too. I do like leather for the most formal of occasions, and I sometimes like their slipperiness when dancing.
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Michael invites people to his crib? ****. You are all invited to visit the Temple of Jawnz around Christmas and I will wear Alfrd Sargent shoes with some MJK stuff.
What model? Any luck finding some of that traditional raincoat fabric for your Harringtons?
Originally Posted by Arethusa
There aren't any.

empty, out of curiosity, how much did these end up costing?

I got in right before they finalized prices for their new MTO program, and I ordered Dainite soles, so it was more than their normal RTW prices but less than their new premium program that Groover and ClintonF have used. One of those two posted details of the program and pictures of their much nicer soles w/ fiddled waists, etc. Should be easy to find in a search.

emptym

Reaction score
Btw, I wanted to acknowledge the craftspeople at AS who did a marvelous job. Here are some pictures from the factory:
sargent03.jpg
sargent01.jpg
chris010.jpg
chris013.jpg
chris016.jpg
98689253.jpg
65800433.jpg
77680745.jpg
99239487.jpg
77636292.jpg
This is just a selection from several pics they sent to tide me over while I waited. Such a treat to see the many hands that worked to bring these phenomenal shoes to me. I will enjoy them for decades to come. Thank you!

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. I think they are one of those shoes that looks much better when worn then when sitting there. It's too bad so many ugly slip-ons recently have given them a negative connotation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads