• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new F430

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
How much does that option cost?

Jon.

I think about $15,000. And the stopping distance is pretty much the same - the only difference is the ceramics don't suffer from brake fade, which isn't going to be a problem on the street.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
zach congrats on a great looking ride. I hope you enjoy it in good health.

Flagrant

Reaction score
Great looking ride. I don't know much about super high-end automotive. Would this type of car be inclined to appreciate over time. Or will it at least hold its value better than most?

I noticed that you said that it wouldn't be your daily ride as you don't have time. So does that mean that it's a hobby (racing or showing) or that you simply won't be using it for your "grocery store" car?

I'll admit, I'm more than a little jealous.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flagrant
Great looking ride. I don't know much about super high-end automotive. Would this type of car be inclined to appreciate over time. Or will it at least hold its value better than most?

I noticed that you said that it wouldn't be your daily ride as you don't have time. So does that mean that it's a hobby (racing or showing) or that you simply won't be using it for your "grocery store" car?

I'll admit, I'm more than a little jealous.

It probably means he has a driver :p

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn.

I thought you were talking about a Ford pickup from the thread title.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I'm not going to track it, and there's no real difference on the road. If anything, the ceramics are worse because they are terrible until they are warmed up.

What? You're not tracking that car? Yeesh. Even if you baby it around a track, it'd still be an amazing experience.

That's like buying a $5000 bespoke suit and $1000 pair of bespoke shoes and only put it on to check yourself out in the mirror. You've got to wear it out.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
That's like buying a $5000 bespoke suit and $1000 pair of bespoke shoes and only put it on to check yourself out in the mirror.
You don't do that?
blush.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I think about $15,000. And the stopping distance is pretty much the same - the only difference is the ceramics don't suffer from brake fade, which isn't going to be a problem on the street.

Yeah, I think Porsche charges about the same for their ceramic break option. Honestly, $15,000 can get you a lot of other more desirable options. I had no clue they were less useful on the road.

Jon.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yeah, I think Porsche charges about the same for their ceramic break option. Honestly, $15,000 can get you a lot of other more desirable options. I had no clue they were less useful on the road.

And the Porsche ones supposedly don't work too well either --- they start cracking after a while, and cost a fortune to replace. At most of our driving levels, if brakes are a limiting factor, there's probably something wrong with your braking technique.

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
And the Porsche ones supposedly don't work too well either --- they start cracking after a while, and cost a fortune to replace. At most of our driving levels, if brakes are a limiting factor, there's probably something wrong with your braking technique.

--Andre

Yeah, I mean in all honesty, you don't need ceramic breaks. Really, you don't need ABS. I'm with McLaren when it comes to the subject: a good enough driver knows how to pump the breaks and how to apply the right technique for the appropriate task / situation. Thus the McLaren F1 didn't come with ABS, or ceramic breaks.

Jon.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think ABS is useful, but it isn't a panacea either since people need to know how to use it properly (stomp on the brakes, but keep steering), too. What we really need is better driver education and training. The Big Mac had a certain design philosophy, and I'm not sure it's an appropriate car for most people: 600+ HP through the rear wheels with a "vivid" throttle response, low rotational inertia, and no traction control = lots and lots of rope. There's a story of a newly-minted BMW head executive crashing one in the parking lot when he went to try it out in the first days of his job. If you watch how most cars' suspensions lurch when they pull away from a stop, I don't think I want most people's right feet on the business end of cars like the F1. BTW, the F1 team considered carbon and ceramic brakes, but they don't work well in street situations because they're too cold. They've improved quite a bit as Ferrari and Porsche now offer them. But that doesn't mean it's not the greatest car that will ever be built.
smile.gif
--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads