My new F430

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by zjpj83, Aug 13, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Is this a daily driver?

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

How much does that option cost?

Jon.

I think about $15,000. And the stopping distance is pretty much the same - the only difference is the ceramics don't suffer from brake fade, which isn't going to be a problem on the street.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Is this a daily driver?
    No. I wish I had the time

4. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Congrats Z! I hear it's a far superior car to the 360. How they did that I do not know.

A.

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

zach congrats on a great looking ride. I hope you enjoy it in good health.

6. Flagrant

Flagrant Well-Known Member

Great looking ride. I don't know much about super high-end automotive. Would this type of car be inclined to appreciate over time. Or will it at least hold its value better than most?

I noticed that you said that it wouldn't be your daily ride as you don't have time. So does that mean that it's a hobby (racing or showing) or that you simply won't be using it for your "grocery store" car?

I'll admit, I'm more than a little jealous.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Great looking ride. I don't know much about super high-end automotive. Would this type of car be inclined to appreciate over time. Or will it at least hold its value better than most?

I noticed that you said that it wouldn't be your daily ride as you don't have time. So does that mean that it's a hobby (racing or showing) or that you simply won't be using it for your "grocery store" car?

I'll admit, I'm more than a little jealous.

It probably means he has a driver :p

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Damn.

I thought you were talking about a Ford pickup from the thread title.

9. briancl

briancl Senior member

I'm not going to track it, and there's no real difference on the road. If anything, the ceramics are worse because they are terrible until they are warmed up.

What? You're not tracking that car? Yeesh. Even if you baby it around a track, it'd still be an amazing experience.

That's like buying a $5000 bespoke suit and $1000 pair of bespoke shoes and only put it on to check yourself out in the mirror. You've got to wear it out.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

That's like buying a $5000 bespoke suit and $1000 pair of bespoke shoes and only put it on to check yourself out in the mirror.
    You don't do that? [​IMG]

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I think about $15,000. And the stopping distance is pretty much the same - the only difference is the ceramics don't suffer from brake fade, which isn't going to be a problem on the street.

Yeah, I think Porsche charges about the same for their ceramic break option. Honestly, $15,000 can get you a lot of other more desirable options. I had no clue they were less useful on the road.

Jon.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yeah, I think Porsche charges about the same for their ceramic break option. Honestly, $15,000 can get you a lot of other more desirable options. I had no clue they were less useful on the road.

And the Porsche ones supposedly don't work too well either --- they start cracking after a while, and cost a fortune to replace. At most of our driving levels, if brakes are a limiting factor, there's probably something wrong with your braking technique.

--Andre

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

And the Porsche ones supposedly don't work too well either --- they start cracking after a while, and cost a fortune to replace. At most of our driving levels, if brakes are a limiting factor, there's probably something wrong with your braking technique.

--Andre

Yeah, I mean in all honesty, you don't need ceramic breaks. Really, you don't need ABS. I'm with McLaren when it comes to the subject: a good enough driver knows how to pump the breaks and how to apply the right technique for the appropriate task / situation. Thus the McLaren F1 didn't come with ABS, or ceramic breaks.

Jon.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

I think ABS is useful, but it isn't a panacea either since people need to know how to use it properly (stomp on the brakes, but keep steering), too. What we really need is better driver education and training. The Big Mac had a certain design philosophy, and I'm not sure it's an appropriate car for most people: 600+ HP through the rear wheels with a "vivid" throttle response, low rotational inertia, and no traction control = lots and lots of rope. There's a story of a newly-minted BMW head executive crashing one in the parking lot when he went to try it out in the first days of his job. If you watch how most cars' suspensions lurch when they pull away from a stop, I don't think I want most people's right feet on the business end of cars like the F1. BTW, the F1 team considered carbon and ceramic brakes, but they don't work well in street situations because they're too cold. They've improved quite a bit as Ferrari and Porsche now offer them. But that doesn't mean it's not the greatest car that will ever be built. [​IMG] --Andre

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

But that doesn't mean it's not the greatest car that will ever be built. [​IMG]

Absolutely! [​IMG]

Jon.