• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first negative feedback. :(

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
This dude has 100% feedback:
Dior Homme ******

With 1400+ positive feedback, he must obviously be a trusted seller... The Ebay rating system simply sucks.

I believe this seller's shoes have been discussed before. It seems his goods are not fake but licensed for Argentina or South America or whatever. So the suit is a Christian Dior suit, just not the same you'd buy at Saks or NM.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Rach - why do you assume that adding cost to your opening bid results in an equally higher final bid?

I don't necessarily assume that; but usually a $4-6 increase in the opening bid on an item seems, in my experience, to dissuade buyers less than a $4-6 increase in shipping. I don't know why, but in experience that is the way it seems to go.

Of course, I never start larger items off at 99 cents; I don't sell enough on ebay to make that work because there is always the occasional item that you expect to fetch $50 that only fetches $6.

So, if I would normally start off at $20, I might start instead at $24 or something. I don't do this all the time, of course, but only for some items or for those that are going to cost me more to ship.

Originally Posted by EL72
I believe this seller's shoes have been discussed before. It seems his goods are not fake but licensed for Argentina or South America or whatever. So the suit is a Christian Dior suit, just not the same you'd buy at Saks or NM.

Yep, El, we've talked about him a lot here and at AAAC. Every few months, somebody will post asking about this seller. The short version is that YSL and Dior, apparently, still have an existent license in Argentina for their products. I suppose they left it because they weren't too worried about the impact upon YSL Rive Gauche and Dior Homme, probably because they knew South America wouldn't be their target audience. But, thanks to the internet, unscrupulous sellers have realized that they can try and dupe buyers. Nevertheless, I doubt LVMH and Gucci Group ever intended these shoes to be sold to people outside Argentina.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by svtrader
Note to self: Add nair49 to Never buy from list.

Ummm... why would you say this? It seems like he was pretty fair in what he did.

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Ummm... why would you say this? It seems like he was pretty fair in what he did.
Add nair49 to Seller I can rip off list
devil.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Yep, El, we've talked about him a lot here and at AAAC. Every few months, somebody will post asking about this seller. The short version is that YSL and Dior, apparently, still have an existent license in Argentina for their products. I suppose they left it because they weren't too worried about the impact upon YSL Rive Gauche and Dior Homme, probably because they knew South America wouldn't be their target audience. But, thanks to the internet, unscrupulous sellers have realized that they can try and dupe buyers. Nevertheless, I doubt LVMH and Gucci Group ever intended these shoes to be sold to people outside Argentina.

I didn't intend to retread old ground. It's just that this same seller has 100% feedback while offering misleading if not outright fake goods (Christian Dior Monsieur is completely different from Dior Homme).

nastyandy

Reaction score
There is a lesson to be learned here:

NEVER leave feedback as a seller until the buyer does first.

Aside from that, I've had issues with asshole buyers as well. Last winter, I sold a vintage motorcycle jacket to a guy in Japan who emailed me before he bid and asked how much shipping would be. The jacket was fairly heavy so I told him $40-$50 USD, not knowing myself how much actual shipping would be.

The auction closed and he won at something like $225. I sent him an invoice with the $40 charge, the low end of what I had quoted. After the auction, he disappeared for several days and then wrote me back telling me he wanted me to 'find a less expensive shipping method.' This really pissed me off because I had told him in advance what the price would be. I then lowered the price to $25 USD, and I ate the actual difference (was about $5.)

The asshole never left me any feedback either. I hope he fell off his bike in the jacket and scraped the damn thing up.

nairb49

Reaction score
terrific. svtrader is never going to buy from me, and metkirk is going to rip me off.

total disaster. I normally don't leave positive feedback before I get feedback myself, I don't actually know why I did so in this instance, it may have been a mistake while leaving feedback for a different item.

Either way, lesson learned, and unfortunately will have to be much more scrupulous and careful when dealing.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I didn't intend to retread old ground. It's just that this same seller has 100% feedback while offering misleading if not outright fake goods (Christian Dior Monsieur is completely different from Dior Homme).

You're exactly right; the feedback system is awful. In addition to what others have said is also the fact that many buyers just don't know any better. You are right that his items are COMPLETELY different from YSL Rive Gauche and Dior Homme; Pilati and Slimane have never even set eyes on whatever those Argentinian factories put out, nor do they have any real control over what they do. Buyers often don't bother to do the research; they just see that they got 'a pair of new YSL shoes' for $100, instead of $600, and feel like they got a deal.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally think your buyer had a point and without any knowledge of the exact tone or text of your email exchanges, I'm not shocked by him leaving negative feedback if he is unhappy. That's his prerogative

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shipping is difficult sometimes, particularly for overseas shipping. Canada post seems particularly expensive and inconsistent, which is part of the reason I buy relatively few items from that part of the world.

One guy wanted 45 usd to ship a 37usd pair of shoes, in the end we agreed to cancel the transaction and I paid his ebay fees. Another time I paid 45usd to ship a suit to me which came crammed into a small USPS global priority box with 20usd postage, the mark-up on postage was one thing but to crease a suit to high heaven, I was not impressed with.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've yet to see where it takes more than $20 in the states to ship anything and that's with packaging, materials and a big kiss to the UPS packer (if she's cute). So I get a little perturbed over $20 shipping for ground if it's in the US. That's gorging to me.

Out of the country varies like crazy. I've ate it on a few just to get the item out.

dryice

Reaction score
don't get why some of you guys are giving him flack about the shipping costs. inflated shipping is common on ebay and people tend to bid lower with high shipping and vice versa. Most sellers inflate shipping to counter ebay/paypal fees. Whether or not you think that's right is really besides the point. regardless of the actual shipping cost, if you listed the item with a flat rate then the buyer shouldn't ***** if they think the shipping cost is unfair, after the fact.

as a seller you should never leave positive feedback before the buyer

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I've yet to see where it takes more than $20 in the states to ship anything and that's with packaging, materials and a big kiss to the UPS packer (if she's cute). So I get a little perturbed over $20 shipping for ground if it's in the US. That's gorging to me.

Out of the country varies like crazy. I've ate it on a few just to get the item out.

I don't mind paying a bit more for shipping and getting good service. I have bought items where the seller probably made about five bucks profit on the shipping costs, but the seller shipped immediately and packed the item well. Likewise, if an item arrives wrinkled from poor packaging, yet the seller charges me exact shipping and sends it off quickly I don't mind.

What really bugs me is sellers that charge double the shipping costs, and take two weeks to even send the item. This recently happened to me.

Good, fast, or cheap. Pick two.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dryice
don't get why some of you guys are giving him flack about the shipping costs. inflated shipping is common on ebay and people tend to bid lower with high shipping and vice versa. Most sellers inflate shipping to counter ebay/paypal fees. Whether or not you think that's right is really besides the point. regardless of the actual shipping cost, if you listed the item with a flat rate then the buyer shouldn't ***** if they think the shipping cost is unfair, after the fact. as a seller you should never leave positive feedback before the buyer
Nothing you said is inaccurate, but shipping gouging is still lame. I do pad shipping, myself, but only by a few dollars (which, really, just ends up covering materials and packing anyway). Beyond that is just obnoxious. None of this excuses the buyer basically engaging in extortion, but it's still a ****** practice.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a study published this year that found that higher shipping costs and lower opening bids results in more money than visa versa: http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/advances/vol6/iss2/art3/ As a buyer, I find the practice annoying only if the shipping cost is not added to the item's metadata, so I need to add an annotation to my watch list, etc. As a Canadian, I really wish more sellers included Canadian shipping in their auctions.
frown.gif
I had no idea CanadaPost was considered an inefficient way to ship overseas. The couriers charge such exorbitant fees for customs negotiation and seem so much more likely to have duty applied, that I am very hesitant to buy anything that isn't shipped by USPS or equivalent national post.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8