• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first ever hemming

Bernabei

Reaction score
After getting ahold of my dream job, real estate agent, and growing up and turning 22, all semantics aside, I grew tired of dressing and looking like ****. So i decided to grab a green pair of hollister pants and getting them hemmed. I was going for a more milan italian style but they were $20 so im just experimenting. My tailor is an old south korean man and very good at his work. I want these pants to look slimmer however, what else do they need? Something just doesnt look right. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• C1CAD0BF-F2EF-4A3A-9696-C30022D6C372.jpeg
    C1CAD0BF-F2EF-4A3A-9696-C30022D6C372.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 47
  • EEEEAD12-0879-46B6-B26A-E7F0E27606AD.jpeg
    EEEEAD12-0879-46B6-B26A-E7F0E27606AD.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 46

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s what you like and then there’s what looks proper and right. This doesn’t.

There’s absolutely no proportion here. The combination Of the low rise of the slacks and the high hem and narrow leg opening give the appearance of really short legs and a freakishly long torso.

The pant are plenty slim. Too slim for a fella shaped like you are. The rise needs to be a bit higher and the leg opening a bit wider. These are meant to be slacks and not track pants.

Are these for casual wear or for work?

I’m not trying to be a dick. You just landed your dream job. Don’t be the guy people snicker at around the water cooler.

Bernabei

Reaction score
Brother, I NEED someone to be a dick hahaha! What do you mean by low rise of the slacks and what do you mean by high hem narrow opening. I have alot of outfits that look great but im trying to tailor my own clothes now and get good at it. These pants are just for the mall, maybe the store but i wanna look the best also. Do you think the waist is to tight? Do you think i could increase the waist size from a 34 to a 36 and try and slim the in-seam more?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have thick legs, and what I'm seeing from the pics is semi-normal pants from the knee up, grafted on to a pair of ultra skinny jeans from the knee down. There's no natural flow.
You have to work with what you have, and keep it proportionate. We can't all be Machine Gun Kelly

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brother, I NEED someone to be a dick hahaha! What do you mean by low rise of the slacks and what do you mean by high hem narrow opening. I have alot of outfits that look great but im trying to tailor my own clothes now and get good at it. These pants are just for the mall, maybe the store but i wanna look the best also. Do you think the waist is to tight? Do you think i could increase the waist size from a 34 to a 36 and try and slim the in-seam more?
Rise is the distance from the crotch to top of waist band. Mid to high rise pants would have the waist band at your natural waist (belly button area).
High hem means you had the legs hemmed short; showing more leg rather than them covering your shoes.
DON'T try to taper the leg openings; they're too narrow for your build as is.

Everything is about proportion. Wearing too tight/slim will only make you look larger.

Bernabei

Reaction score
You have thick legs, and what I'm seeing from the pics is semi-normal pants from the knee up, grafted on to a pair of ultra skinny jeans from the knee down. There's no natural flow.
You have to work with what you have, and keep it proportionate. We can't all be Machine Gun Kelly
These pants are just a test run, would slimming the in seam behind the thigh give them more of a flow look

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These pants are just a test run, would slimming the in seam behind the thigh give them more of a flow look

no, no, no! Enough with the slimming stuff. You’re not a slim guy. You’re pretty beefy. Take that however you want, but you’re not the slim fit body type.

Unless you’re in ballet or a wrestler, you’re clothing should not be skin tight.

when it comes to clothing, it’s all about proportion. Your clothing should complement your body and shape, not be at odds with it. You’re not fat, but I’m afraid those slacks make you look like that by accentuating your ass and abdominal region. The tightness of the slacks from the knee down adds more to this visual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads