• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My ebay Tuxedo screwup- help please!

tdubs

Reaction score
Before reading enough SF threads, I purchased a 1940's Brooks Bros tuxedo jacket. I thought I was really smart- it had all the proper blacktieguide features to be classic, and it was cheap!

After receiving the jacket, I started the hunt for matching pants... and found SF threads advising me to never buy separates, as I'll never match the wool colors. The posters in those threads were right. I've had no luck thus far.

Advice please! I think I have three options:

1. Resell the jacket, and start over in my hunt for a matched set.

2. Drag the jacket from formalwear store to store, hoping to find the right pants.

3. I'll be in HK in about a week. If I brought the jacket, might one of the tailors be able to match the fabric?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Yes, I now know what a fool I've been in this matter.

-TW

EriQ009

Reaction score
Option 1, resell and start anew. The jacket being vintage, in particular, will magnify the futility of finding trousers to match.

mason

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just resell it the tuxedo so you can move on and look for something better.

tdubs

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice gents. Sad to have to part with it- it's perfect! But, mismatched colors would look terrible.

table21

Reaction score
Ditch the jacket. There is nothing wrong with a mixed tux however the trick is to get a patterned jacket. I picket up one with a small glossy square pattern, you can't really see the squares from more than a foot away and it makes any pants I get match.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too many tame suggestions.

Get some black watch pents made and wear as tuxedo and not give a ****.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably be OK as a tux for a Xmas or New Year formal party event. We're coming up to that season.

Ivar

Reaction score
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Under the condition that the jacket does indeed fit you like a million -- and this is absolutely key, else there is little point in putting in the effort -- I would do exactly what you suggested yourself: bring the jacket to a tailor and ask him for a cloth similar in texture and shade to that of the jacket. Since we're talking about a black jacket, there's a good chance he'll have something very similar -- good enough, I would think, to trick even the most trained eye into thinking that both pieces are of the same cloth. What complicates matters is that the braid on the pants should properly be made of the same cloth as the lapel facing, but here again, your tailor could probably sort you out.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Under the condition that the jacket does indeed fit you like a million -- and this is absolutely key, else there is little point in putting in the effort -- I would do exactly what you suggested yourself: bring the jacket to a tailor and ask him for a cloth similar in texture and shade to that of the jacket. Since we're talking about a black jacket, there's a good chance he'll have something very similar -- good enough, I would think, to trick even the most trained eye into thinking that both pieces are of the same cloth. What complicates matters is that the braid on the pants should properly be made of the same cloth as the lapel facing, but here again, your tailor could probably sort you out.
If you go with a braid on the pants as opposed to a stripe, that would probably work much better towards hiding the differences in the silk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads