• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Chan Experience in Hong Kong (without Patrick, and a short trip)

dingdongbell

Reaction score
I want to get this thread up to share my experience with Chan without Patrick in Hong Kong. (I note a lot of members question Chan's service in Hong Kong without Patrick) Furthermore, some members want to know how long do they have to be in Hong Kong to get a suit fitted.

Time: I was in HK for 4 days and had 2 fittings.

Day 1 Morning: Fabric selection etc. (chan opens at 9 30)
Day 3 Morning: First Fitting
Day 4 Afternoon: Second Fitting

Day 1.

I am 1.75m/155 lbs and usually wear 38. Connie (Chan's Sales Rep) was very helpful in terms of fabric selection. Unfortunately, a lot of the books were missing (Patrick took them to the US tour)...Nevertheless, since I just wanted plain Charcoal, they were able to provide plenty of choices.

I settled on:

3-piece (jacket + waistcoat)
Charcoal H&S 120 fabric
3.25" notch Label
Single Breasted 2 button
Double Vented
no rope, high arm hole, v.light padding
Blue lining
func. 4 sleeve buttons.

6 buttons vest, 6th button unfasten-able. (no Label)

1st Fitting:

I was surprised by how accurate the measurements were in my first fitting. Only some minor adjustments were required (about 1/4 to 1/2 inches). Overall I was pretty happy with it and the 3-pieces were already 80-90% to my satisfaction.

2nd Fitting:

I showed up for my appointment and the gentlemen at chan had my suit ready for me to try on. Some minor adjustments on the waist (increase waist suppression a little bit). See picture

I will post the finish product once I receive it (in the post).

zzdocxx

Reaction score
Nice, what did it set you back with the H&S fabric?

Isn't it around $1200US with a standard fabric?

(Hope you don't mind me asking.)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This^^ and pls post final flicks..

dingdongbell

Reaction score

Their price for a 2-piece suit starts at around 10k HKD, VBC 110 (I am not sure how much they usually charge in their US tour)

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I don't think Chan stocks H&S, so I uppose they ordered it from the UK. I am surprised they got the fabric so quickly to get the first fitting 2 days later. When I visited their HK store, they had some VBC and Zegna fabric in stock, but any British fabric had to be ordered. I believe a 2-piece suit in H&S fabric starts at around HK$15,000.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread - many thanks. Surprised to hear they don't have copies of the books Patrick brings on tour; perhaps another reason to make sure he's in HK when visiting them?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember that there would be little local demand in HK for many of the fabrics in books that Patrick takes to the USA. Not many men in that near-tropical climate are going to be interested in heavy tweeds.

The tour price for a 2-piece from VBC 110 is still $1,258 (same as in July). This is a bit less than HKD 10,000 at current exchange rates.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting but Chan is more than simply Patrick.

Will you post photographs of the full suit when compete please: The profile pictures, without the coat being worn so the fit of the trousers can be seen as well as the inside of the coat to see how they are presently detailing them please?

dingdongbell

Reaction score

That's relatively quick. Did you happen to experience any shirts from Chan? 

Remember that there would be little local demand in HK for many of the fabrics in books that Patrick takes to the USA. Not many men in that near-tropical climate are going to be interested in heavy tweeds.
The tour price for a 2-piece from VBC 110 is still $1,258 (same as in July). This is a bit less than HKD 10,000 at current exchange rates.

Interesting but Chan is more than simply Patrick.
Will you post photographs of the full suit when compete please: The profile pictures, without the coat being worn so the fit of the trousers can be seen as well as the inside of the coat to see how they are presently detailing them please?

will do.

dingdongbell

Reaction score
Please see pictures below:

workmanship is top of the line and great attention to detail.

1. Waistcoat

2.Front

3.Side

4.Back

5.Linings

6.Shoulder - I asked min-shoulder pad

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads