• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murl the Squirl's Adventure Across the Pond

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
UPDATE

Cleav was able to get off early on Friday so rather than heading to Carlisle to visit Steed, I'll be meeting him in Northampton. I can get a jacket going with Steed in February in SF so I couldn't pass up the chance to hang out with him for the day. I still might meet up with Matthew Steed in London for a pint. I'll check out the usual suspects in Northampton (i.e., Lobb, EG, GG) and take plenty of pictures. After that we'll head to Cleav's neck of the woods for food/brews before catching the train back to Manchester for the game the following day.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People watching at LAX

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I do hope you get to visit Steed my friend. That is the anchor for the trip :).

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice! I do hope you get to visit Steed my friend. That is the anchor for the trip
smile.gif

Yeah, not going to happen. I chose to spend the day with Cleav instead. I can see Steed in SF on their regular visits, but the chance to hang out with Cleav in his hood won't happen very often. I know you guys were looking forward to that (I was too), but I'll have some shoe factory visit photos instead. Steed will happen in February in SF...plenty on that when the time comes.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see your pics and to read your impressions on the shoe scene. Last December in London I enjoyed seeing many more "country" shoes in stores than we see in the US. The EG store, as an example, had a lot of derbys (or is it derbies?) with Dianite rubber soles in a wide range of colors and textures - grey, blue, green, brown, and crosshatch, pebble. To me, these seemed like the ideal premium shoe to wear with denim or more casual apparel. Surprised we don't see more of this look in the USA.

About a month later I met the head designer for Levis in SF at their headquarters. What was he wearing? EG derbys with rubber soles with his jeans and sweatshirt.

Here are a few pics from the EG store. I just love these cap toes in these colors. (the one on the left is a muted green and a grey/blue on the right)

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see your pics and to read your impressions on the shoe scene. Last December in London I enjoyed seeing many more "country" shoes in stores than we see in the US. The EG store, as an example, had a lot of derbys (or is it derbies?) with Dianite rubber soles in a wide range of colors and textures - grey, blue, green, brown, and crosshatch, pebble. To me, these seemed like the ideal premium shoe to wear with denim or more casual apparel. Surprised we don't see more of this look in the USA.

About a month later I met the head designer for Levis in SF at their headquarters. What was he wearing? EG derbys with rubber soles with his jeans and sweatshirt.

Here are a few pics from the EG store. I just love these cap toes in these colors. (the one on the left is a muted green and a grey/blue on the right)

If I buy anything while I am there, it will probably be a suede or pebble derby with Dianite sole. I'll will be pretty cool to check out the factory and I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures...I brought the DSLR along with me.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you mean by "If I buy anything"?????
smile.gif

Quite right, I only meant an expensive "anything"
biggrin.gif
I'll definitely bring something home from Exquisite Trimmings and HN White Ties....and hopefully not too much more from London or I'll be shipping it back!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite right, I only meant an expensive "anything"
biggrin.gif
I'll definitely bring something home from Exquisite Trimmings and HN White Ties....and hopefully not too much more from London or I'll be shipping it back!

You mean you didn't take along an extra suitcase?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Found this great little place called Lissom + Muster in Manchester. Very small shop, but some great knitwear, socks, shoes/shoe care (A&S), and other small accessories. I walked out of there with a thick pair of wool mohair socks from UK brand Marwood.

Oliver Spencer jacket, Port Flannel shirt, Inis Meain beanie, Montilay jeans (olive twill), Alden chukkas

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads