• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murl the Squirl's Adventure Across the Pond

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have my appointment with Matthew and Edwin Steed in SF on Monday. I'll post pictures from the meeting here and some other cool stuff I have planned with some of the SF guys.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Staying tuned!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have my appointment with Matthew and Edwin Steed in SF on Monday. I'll post pictures from the meeting here and some other cool stuff I have planned with some of the SF guys.

Ask about the front cut.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
[COLOR=222222]*WARNING* I write like a guy who has worked for the military for 15 years[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
Finally. I've missed out on the last two opportunities to meet with Edwin and Matthew so needless to say, I was looking forward to this. I've spoke with quite a few people over the last few years about Steed and decided last year that I wanted to give them a shot.

There was a recent discussion about traveling to see tailors (Unfunded Liabilities thread?) and how some people thought it was crazy. Well, I woke up at 0430 in the morning and drove 275 miles (one way) to see them....so I guess I'm insane.

@Mr. Six and I decided to book our appointments together so he could snap some shots for this thread. I also thought it would be nice to have someone there who has worked with them quite a bit. When we walked in, I had no idea what I was going to do; MTM, bespoke, jacket, suit, fabric....no clue. I don't need a bespoke jacket (let's face it, no one does), but I've always wanted to experience the process. Then there's all this talk of how a bespoke jacket feels on your shoulders and hugs your neck....I want bespoke jacket hugs. I decided bespoke jacket hugs is what I would get.

I browsed through the swatch books while Six was trying on his latest suit (very nice) for Matthew and Edwin. Eventually, I found this dark green cloth from W. Bill with a super soft hand and a nice light weight. I always gravitate to heavier cloths, but it doesn't make much sense in CA and I wanted something I could wear all the time...they say you should get something with max versatility on your first bespoke commission. In my opinion, you can wear a green jacket damn near as much as you could a navy...I'm sure some will disagree. I don't care...it's going to be awesome and at 10oz, I can wear it year round.

From there, Edwin measured me in what seemed like no time. Just like you would expect a guy with the amount of experience he has. At one point he takes a step back, stares for a couple seconds, comes back grabs my shoulders and says, "forward, square, drop left, prominent right scapula"...spot on of course and the reason I can only wear soft tailored RTW. Matthew jotted down his notes and then Edwin finished up with some profile pictures. That was it.

After that, we chatted about football a bit...the kind you actually play with your feet. They are Gooners but hey, we all make a terrible decision or two in our lives. We also got to hear some great stories about Edwin's days with Anderson & Sheppard and Edward Sexton, which Six and I really enjoyed. Great guys the both of them. Really great guys.

We left the hotel around noon and headed to meetup with @brillopad , @UrbanComposition , @sacafotos , and @Salad . A few others hoped to be there, but had to bail (@sugarbutch ). We had some pretty good Italian food and then headed over to Tailors Keep to check out their spot. After seeing how UC's Fox oatmeal flannels turned out, I was really excited to check them out. UC introduced us to Erik who showed us around their existing spot and the new (much nicer) location they will soon be operating out of, which is just a couple doors down. Urban's trousers were on site being pressed so we got to see and feel the construction and quality of their bespoke work. I had already seen the impressive fit they achieved and was equally impressed with the construction. One thing that stood out was the style of the front pockets. They are cut and sewn much like rear pockets and not attached at the side seam...if I'm not making any sense (likely), see picture. I can't recall ever seeing front pockets cut in that way...Erik said it's for comfort and assists in eliminating pocket flare. I didn't care for the look all that much, but I would have to try them on to really see how I feel. Either way, they looked great overall and I would gladly wear them...especially given their pricing.

We grabbed a couple drinks after the TK visit and we're supposed to meetup for dinner with @Andy57 and Steed, but I'm recovering from surgery and wasn't doing to great. Unfortunately, I had to cut it short and speed home to some medication...can't take that stuff and drive!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fantastic mate, thanks for sharing. Eagerly looking forward to future instalments :nodding:

Thanks, Cleav. Hopefully it made sense....I didn't give it much of a proof.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I want bespoke jacket hugs.
worship.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Italian company Zanella use to offer those same pockets on several of their trouser along with pleats. It's a neat, clean look.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Murlsquirl I'll just leave this here for you...

870px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know I can delete that, right? :)

I hope there's an accidental misfire and that stupid cannon blows up the Emirates....when it's empty, of course.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know I can delete that, right?
smile.gif

I hope there's an accidental misfire and that stupid cannon blows up the Emirates....when it's empty, of course.
You wouldnt dare :)

The only thing that cannon is going to blow up is the rest of the league's title hopes this year! Come on you Gunners!

(Truth be told, I fully expect for us to reach peak Arsenal shortly, whereby we raise expectations and get excruciatingly close to winning, just in time to throw it all away in an incredibly improbable fashion...)

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We missed you in the evening, Murl. I hope you're feeling better and have recovered from that long trek...which you can look forward to making again in June, and October, and...

My appointment was at 6pm. By some confusion, (perhaps he'll jump in to this thread, too), my appointment, which was supposed to be after @justinkapur 's, was before his. I feel bad that he had to wait while I went through my stuff. During my appointment, a crew from a new web site in SF called Unbound Travel was shooting video of the fitting process, interviewing Edwin and Matthew (and me, too), and shooting stills. That was quite fun.

After Justin's appointment was complete, Edwin, Matthew, and I grabbed a quick bite of dinner in the Top of the Mark. It's always fun to hang out with those guys and get them telling tailoring stories. Apart from the pleasure of their company, I always learn something. Monday was no exception!

I hope your jacket turns out well for you. I'm sure it will.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I am having a wool/ silk/ linen jacket in a mottled green made up from Loro Piana's jacketing book for this spring. I'm glad to hear there are a few more joining the green jacket brigade instead of the usual 1 every April :)

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As an aside, I am having a wool/ silk/ linen jacket in a mottled green made up from Loro Piana's jacketing book for this spring. I'm glad to hear there are a few more joining the green jacket brigade instead of the usual 1 every April :)

Nice. I love wool/silk/linen cloths.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads