• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"multicultural" kfc ad puts asians at butt of a joke

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Ok, for some reason I thought he was 1/4th German; my bad. Back to the accent, I'm not sure if they would have the content on torrents or not, but on the Kung Fu DVDs I'm pretty sure they show Lee doing an audition at the time of casting. There's just no way he could have delivered the lines and stuff that Carradine did with his accent, or acting skills.
I guess we are going to have to disagree then. Seeing as Lee had already been on The Green Hornet, Batman, Ironside, and a few other shows, and the Hollywood movie Marlowe, as well as stage theater in both Seattle and San Francisco, his "acting" skills were obviously good enough to be on television. His "accent" was the exact same as it was in all his interviews and movies. It's not like he just learned to speak English. He was fluent in English from at least 12 years of age, spoke it in school both in Hong Kong , and here in the U.S. and spoke nearly nothing BUT English for the twelve years he lived in the US before Kung Fu even came out. "Having a thick accent" seems like some racist bs. What they probably mean was that they thought nobody wanted to watch a television show starring an Asian man. I'm pretty sure they still tell people that. Here's a nice interview from 1971, the year before Kung Fu came out. Too bad you can't understand what Bruce is saying!?!?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Let me put it this way, had Lee gotten the role of Kain, do you think that Kung Fu would have the cult status it enjoys now?
At least. If not MORE popular.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
The only example this post reminds me of is feminists getting their panties in a wad when cleaning products are marketed to women.

Is it a damning indictment of my own male chauvinism that I'm turned on by the comely Holly Homemakers featured in television ads for cleaning products?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

My God, I'd ravage Dirty Carpet Anxiety Woman all over her natty-ass carpet.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I guess we are going to have to disagree then. Seeing as Lee had already been on The Green Hornet, Batman, Ironside, and a few other shows, and the Hollywood movie Marlowe, as well as stage theater in both Seattle and San Francisco, his "acting" skills were obviously good enough to be on television. His "accent" was the exact same as it was in all his interviews and movies. It's not like he just learned to speak English. He was fluent in English from at least 12 years of age, spoke it in school both in Hong Kong , and here in the U.S. and spoke nearly nothing BUT English for the twelve years he lived in the US before Kung Fu even came out. "Having a thick accent" seems like some racist bs. What they probably mean was that they thought nobody wanted to watch a television show starring an Asian man. I'm pretty sure they still tell people that.

Here's a nice interview from 1971, the year before Kung Fu came out. Too bad you can't understand what Bruce is saying!?!?

I can't understand that ching-chong wing-wong accent at all. The "thick accent" thing is transparent racist BS. If you were educated in the English system in Hong Kong in the 50's and 60s (as my father was,) you ended up speaking very good English (ironically, young Hong Kong natives often speak considerably worse English then their parents.)

Of course, America is the land of stoopid people, where people with English accents are regularly subtitled...

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I can't understand that ching-chong wing-wong accent at all. The "thick accent" thing is transparent racist BS. If you were educated in the English system in Hong Kong in the 50's and 60s (as my father was,) you ended up speaking very good English (ironically, young Hong Kong natives often speak considerably worse English then their parents.)

Of course, America is the land of stoopid people, where people with English accents are regularly subtitled.

That's not even nearly as common here as it is in Europe. Ask the French.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buyer's remorse
why do minorities always feel threatened by everything? this victim thinking makes me want to go out on a genocidal shooting spree. blacks, asians, mexicans alike - how about that for equal opportunity? you know why people make fun of asians as weak and submissive? because they WHINE about everything. oh noes, someone pointed out our accent! oh noes, someone pointed out our slanty eyes! ironically, protesting about something that is true (asian accents ARE funny sound and most asians DO have slanty eyes) is also an implicit concession that having a funny accent and slanty eyes is a bad thing, which also implicitly concedes that anything that isn't white (e.g. speaking like a white person and having double eyelids) is superior. asians (and all other "minorities"): actions speak louder than words.
How have you not been banned yet? God, you disgust me.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you and your obsession with political correctness disgust me. go pray to your flying spaghetti monster god and be done with it. homogeneity is a *****, but more vile are the scum that oppose your views and challenge the status quo, because god forbid progress!
As if accepting racial stereotypes as "ok" and "true" is progress. I'd like to see you go around calling black people spear chuckers, making a caricature out of their big lips, pointing out that they smell different, make it a point to laugh at their hair, and etc. And then telling them that hey, it's a stereotype because its true, and to stop bitching about you pointing out their differences. Your "progress" sounds a lot like "racism".

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
people will always find ways to marginalize groups, whether it be by the color of their skin, their height, the size of their penises, the music they listen to, their age, or the clothes they wear.
If you really think its ok to marginalize and ridicule people for the above reasons, in my opinion, you are a ****** human being. You might be a nice guy IRL- but thats just the way that I see it. I'm not saying that I'm perfect in this area, but I don't think that this attitude constitutes progress.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why do minorities always feel threatened by everything? this victim thinking makes me want to go out on a genocidal shooting spree. blacks, asians, mexicans alike - how about that for equal opportunity?

you know why people make fun of asians as weak and submissive? because they WHINE about everything. oh noes, someone pointed out our accent! oh noes, someone pointed out our slanty eyes! ironically, protesting about something that is true (asian accents ARE funny sound and most asians DO have slanty eyes) is also an implicit concession that having a funny accent and slanty eyes is a bad thing, which also implicitly concedes that anything that isn't white (e.g. speaking like a white person and having double eyelids) is superior.

asians (and all other "minorities"): actions speak louder than words.

I deleted this once, because several other member felt that it was offensive (in the original post you said "no wonder there was the holocaust".) You need to respect moderation. Rewording it and keeping the same spirit isn't going to make me change my mind.

Now I am going to have to give you a big long time out - not just for the offending post, but for flaunting a moderation decision. This place runs because the decisions of moderators are respected and final. If you wish to exercise your First Amendment rights, go to your nearest street corner.

You are going to spend a month off. Upon your return, I will expect an apology.

Fok.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
in the original post you said "no wonder there was the holocaust".

Good grief.

r...

Reaction score
2. chances are the black person would overreact.

Chances are you're a racist provocateur.

It seems any reaction to marginalization would be an overreaction. No one is writing letters to congress over KFC's failed attempt to be ethnically inclusionary. All that keyboard rage, put the gun down...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I deleted this once, because several other member felt that it was offensive (in the original post you said "no wonder there was the holocaust".) You need to respect moderation. Rewording it and keeping the same spirit isn't going to make me change my mind.

Now I am going to have to give you a big long time out - not just for the offending post, but for flaunting a moderation decision. This place runs because the decisions of moderators are respected and final. If you wish to exercise your First Amendment rights, go to your nearest street corner.

You are going to spend a month off. Upon your return, I will expect an apology.

Fok.

I remember reading a post almost exactly like that and reporting it. Thought it was some weird deja-vu thing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that Buyer's Remorse decided to re-register, and post a reply after he had been timed out. I spamminated that account, and now, he is just banned; and I erased every post he has ever made. Turns out, he has been banned twice already under different names since he joined in 2007. Apparently, he needs the forum much more than the forum needs him.

Fok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics