• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirts .. cant get them to fit right!? help!!

mp1472

Reaction score
Hello been lurking for some time now but I have a problem so ridiculous I had to make a post. So anyway I cant get a mtm shirt to fit me right !!!

the biggest problem I am having is there seems to be too much material in the chest/under arm area so it causes unsightly wrinkles up the chest/armpit area.

I have 5 shirts from measure up that have been back to measure up once for alterations after their rep measured me and pined them up at a trunk show.(lost a bunch of weight and wanted to see if they could be made to fit again and they said it could be done) Then when I got them back they were still no where near right so the mens shop I bought them from re pinned them and sent them back to their local tailor. what you see in the pictures is now the final product after 2 rounds of alterations.(still not happy with the fit)

now while at the trunk show the measure up rep measured me herself and I ordered 3 more which when they came in were not even close I mean they were way off.(im pretty much done losing weight now I weigh 3 lbs less now than when I ordered the 3 new shirts about 5 weeks ago) The men's shop pinned those up and sent them to their local tailor and today I went to pick them up and once again still need alterations and I still have the problem in the chest/armpit area.(these are at the mens shop no pics of these)

In the middle of this I made an order at luxire.com and supplied them with my measurements and same exact problem in the chest area when I got them. They are currently making a test shirt to send me to see if their corrections will fix the problem (good company)

So it seems like a stupid problem to have but I can't get a mtm shirt to fit me right between 2 companies and multiple attempts at the tailor!!!
I attached some photos anyone got some advice here ? Anyone had a similar problem? There's like some holy grail measurements that will fit me but no one can find them lol. I'm 42" chest 18.75 shoulder 33 waist for reference ... see pics below and thanks :p

shirt #1 measure up

Shirt #2 Luxire

Shirt # 3 measure up.. this ones pretty snug

shirt # 4 Luxire

Shirt #5 Thomas pink slim fit otr for comparison .. much loser but same problem in chest/pit area

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All those shirts look to be an excellent fit to me.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I think you're obsessing--that part of the shirt will be under your jacket most of the time, and the rest of the time you will be moving around, so it won't be noticeable.

..On the other hand, I am kind of curious now as to what is causing it :) Would perhaps a slightly tighter waist meaurement, relative to the chest measurement, remove the problem?

mp1472

Reaction score
lol idk luxire thinks reducing the pit to pit in the front of the shirt will fix it they are making a test shirt right now should have it soon

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that your shirts are too tight. It looks like it's pulling from the lower back area.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fear that you are obsessing.

Hellkamp

Reaction score
I agree. It's seems you're looking at the shirts expecting to see something wrong. They all seem to fit very well.

I'd stop worrying about them and wear them with confidence.

mp1472

Reaction score
well maybe I am but I have to think on a custom job there should be a way to get the cut right in the chest are so as to not cause that unsightly wrinkle.
this photo below is pretty much how I would expect a shirt to look and fit mtm. no weird creases or wrinkles in the chest going on there.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well maybe I am but I have to think on a custom job there should be a way to get the cut right in the chest are so as to not cause that unsightly wrinkle. this photo below is pretty much how I would expect a shirt to look and fit mtm. no weird creases or wrinkles in the chest going on there.
You have lost a grip on reality

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That picture could be someone who put on a newly pressed shirt without doing a damn thing except standing still for a picture.

Try going through your day for 8 hours after that. Shirt won't look the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads