• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirts .. cant get them to fit right!? help!!

Geezer

Reaction score
mp,

That is a picture of a model, in a carefully staged and posed shot. The back of his shirt is probably full of pins to get the shot right. The shot is the best of 100+ photos taken from that angle with a $2000 camera by a professional. The garment was then adjusted to give a "perfect" shot for the next pose. It may well be photoshopped or enhanced.

By contrast, your pics are apparently taken in a lavatory, on an iPhone, with your arm and body at unnatural angles.

Your shirts are fine. Chill.

Last edited:

atoms

Reaction score
You're obsessing. Look at people in real life who dress well, not photoshopped images of models where the clothes are clipped behind them to make them tighter. People don't wear clothes like that in real life, the buttons would pop, the seams would tear, and you wouldn't even be able to wipe your ass.

Zacharrrr

Reaction score
hey !

that guy has a very different body to yours. I think the wrinkles are a combination of your lat and chest, you might need more space there.

edit: do you lift?

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey !

that guy has a very different body to yours. I think the wrinkles are a combination of your lat and chest, you might need more space there.

enabler.

mp1472

Reaction score
hey !

No not anymore who has the time, I used to be very into lifting back in the day so I still have a somewhat athletic build .. at least I do now after losing tons of weight.
The interesting thing is I think theres too much material there if I pull the shirt into the center I can get about 1.5" of material bunched up and it cleans up the chest area at the arm holes.

Luxire is making a test shirt right now with reduced arm hole to armhole in front of the shirt im looking forward to seeing if it fixes the problem. I used to order from tom james back in the day and im no stranger to mtm shirts and never had this prob. Maybe im obsessing and have lost touch with reality like they say (lol) but the thing is the shirts have made a few trips to the tailor specifically to fix this problem (other adjustments as well sleeves were too long and too baggy) and yet the problem persists .

if anyone could post their pics of a well fitting mtm shirt would be cool to see if this wrinkle is there and I really am just obsessing but I swear this should not happen !!!!
cloud.gif

eluther

Reaction score
Your left arm/shoulder has a pitch to it or it's being raised. That's not something you can fix with MTM and most bespoke wouldn't necessarily get it right for the first few shirts. I'm going to tell you that you are absolutely the only person who's going to notice it, though, and you are never going to get a shirt that looks like the one you posted. Ever. No matter what.

mp1472

Reaction score
Your left arm/shoulder has a pitch to it or it's being raised. That's not something you can fix with MTM and most bespoke wouldn't necessarily get it right for the first few shirts. I'm going to tell you that you are absolutely the only person who's going to notice it, though, and you are never going to get a shirt that looks like the one you posted. Ever. No matter what.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No not anymore who has the time, I used to be very into lifting back in the day so I still have a somewhat athletic build .. at least I do now after losing tons of weight.
The interesting thing is I think theres too much material there if I pull the shirt into the center I can get about 1.5" of material bunched up and it cleans up the chest area at the arm holes.

Luxire is making a test shirt right now with reduced arm hole to armhole in front of the shirt im looking forward to seeing if it fixes the problem. I used to order from tom james back in the day and im no stranger to mtm shirts and never had this prob. Maybe im obsessing and have lost touch with reality like they say (lol) but the thing is the shirts have made a few trips to the tailor specifically to fix this problem (other adjustments as well sleeves were too long and too baggy)  and yet the problem persists .

if anyone could post their pics of a well fitting mtm shirt would be cool to see if this wrinkle is there and I really am just obsessing but I swear this should not happen !!!!:cloud:

I'm starting to think maybe you have a point:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...shoulder looks wide. The picture that you posted is obviously editted. They clean up those wrinkles so that people, like yourself, will get excited and buy. Then, when your shirt doesn't look right, you'll think that you made a mistake, and you'll order again...and again. You have to have a very close fit in the chest and probably more muscular pecs than you appear to have to get rid of (almost) all of the wrinkles.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...shoulder looks wide. The picture that you posted is obviously editted. They clean up those wrinkles so that people, like yourself, will get excited and buy. Then, when your shirt doesn't look right, you'll think that you made a mistake, and you'll order again...and again. You have to have a very close fit in the chest and probably more muscular pecs than you appear to have to get rid of (almost) all of the wrinkles.

Wut?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, well that is Spoo in an MTM Charvet. In case you don't know, Spoo is kiiind of a big deal around here. But I agree, it is something to aim for.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well maybe I am but I have to think on a custom job there should be a way to get the cut right in the chest are so as to not cause that unsightly wrinkle. this photo below is pretty much how I would expect a shirt to look and fit mtm. no weird creases or wrinkles in the chest going on there.
First, the picture you are using as your ideal has exactly the same wrinkles in exactly the same place. Seriously. Look closely. Yours are a little more obvious maybe, but the problem, if that's what it is, is the same. The wrinkles in your shirts are caused by the fact that you have pecs. Having them cut so close doesn't help either. I don't think you are going to get much better MTM. A looser cut might help somewhat. Alternatively, I suppose you could stop hitting the gym.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, well that is Spoo in an MTM Charvet. In case you don't know, Spoo is kiiind of a big deal around here. But I agree, it is something to aim for.
The shirt looks good...a little too straight-up-and-down for my taste, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads